IGNORED

Which Result Was Our Best Ever?

RedLionLad

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

Man Utd, Man City, Crystal Palace, Walsall, Coventry, Bolton, Mansfield, Bradford, another ?

….and which one did you enjoy most?

Gotta be Palace for me. Was old enough to enjoy it but young enough not to be entirely cynical how we were going to do in the PO final. 

The subsequent games were incredible but the cynicism had set in by then ?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Leeds, Crystal Palace, Walsall, Coventry, Bolton, Mansfield, Bradford, another ?

….and which one did you enjoy most?

What about Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th round, 1990, 3-1!  Great performance on a mud bath of a pitch when we were 3rd Division!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 13

Lots of great memories there but I can't think I've ever enjoyed a City win more than that night at Bradford. It would have been so 'Bristol City' to lose 1-0 and disappoint everyone but to win 6-0 on a glorious evening, for the result never to be in doubt, and for a great side and a great manager to actually win something as a consequence, was wonderful. 

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bristol Rovers 1 Bristol City 2 at Ikea with Cooper giving the Few plenty afterwards....................the day our ragbag collection of very young kids and old age pensioners were supposed to go over to Eastville and get their arses kicked from pillar to post.

No other result even comes close for me because that was the day that "we were back".

One-nil down, two-one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup ...

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

Rotherham in 2007 to finally get us back up to the second tier was a highlight for sure. Not the 'best' match or result ever, but was arguably the start of the club becoming a relatively secure championship club. Great day out too - with the weather and pitch invasion after

Edited by Bas's perfect hattrick
  • Like 4

Orient at home in the early 70s. Losing 1-3 at half time, ended up winning 5-3. 

MK Dons at home in our promotion season 3-2. What a game, took me hours and a couple of pints to calm down 

Beating Hereford in the semifinals at home to send us to Wembley in the Layland Daff or whatever it was called. 

• Like 2

This will obviously depend on age, but I'd say.

Leeds. (1-0 away) They were in amazing form and unbeaten when we played them in the Cup. To win there was massive (and annoying, as I wasn't allowed to go). There was even a cartoon in the National papers showing a TV with the score. The repair man is saying, no mate, it's right, mine says the same.

Portsmouth. (2-1) Got to say this was a huge win, clinching promotion to Div 1.

Coventry. (2-2) Amazing night, 15,000 Reds there to see it.
Bonus: Leeds (1-0). M'boro (0-0). Liverpool (2-1) the 3 games before Cov, that meant a draw would keep us up. Garland scoring all 3 goals.

Chester. (2-1) Clinched Promotion from 4th, and one of my Fav away days along with Cov and others.

The other lot (2-1) 1-0 down etc. Mad , mad day. 

Obviously the 2 Manchester games, Liverpool and others , but the stand out for me.

I'll add 3 nearly ones, Spurs, Forest & Man City Semi finals. How I would have loved to have made a "real" final.

• Like 2

Since I have been going to games in the early 80s, the best result for me has to be 3-0 at Wembley. Seeing City win there for the first time was something special. 

The ones I enjoyed most - hard to choose between 5-4 at Mansfield, the Donowa game v the fewers, Anfield in 1994, 2-1 v Man Utd and 8-2 v Walsall. 

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This will obviously depend on age, but I'd say.

Leeds. (1-0 away) They were in amazing form and unbeaten when we played them in the Cup. To win there was massive (and annoying, as I wasn't allowed to go). There was even a cartoon in the National papers showing a TV with the score. The repair man is saying, no mate, it's right, mine says the same.

Portsmouth. (2-1) Got to say this was a huge win, clinching promotion to Div 1.

Coventry. (2-2) Amazing night, 15,000 Reds there to see it.
Bonus: Leeds (1-0). M'boro (0-0). Liverpool (2-1) the 3 games before Cov, that meant a draw would keep us up. Garland scoring all 3 goals.

Chester. (2-1) Clinched Promotion from 4th, and one of my Fav away days along with Cov and others.

The other lot (2-1) 1-0 down etc. Mad , mad day. 

Obviously the 2 Manchester games, Liverpool and others , but the stand out for me.

I'll add 3 nearly ones, Spurs, Forest & Man City Semi finals. How I would have loved to have made a "real" final.

Agree with all those. Portsmouth was 1-0 though. A horrible match in some ways: we scored early on; Portsmouth were already down and not much of a side; we were expected to beat them. But we couldn't find any rhythm to our play and those last few minutes were agony. 

I remember leaving the ground and saw a banner - clearly made up in advance of the match - at the back of a Portsmouth supporters' coach: 'You'll come straight back down.' Wrong. There were amazing Coventry and Liverpool and Manchester United matches to come but maybe, just maybe, it might have been better if we had because the years after Div 1 were depressing and set us back a lot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, swanker said:

Orient at home in the early 70s. Losing 1-3 at half time, ended up winning 5-3. 

MK Dons at home in our promotion season 3-2. What a game, took me hours and a couple of pints to calm down 

Beating Hereford in the semifinals at home to send us to Wembley in the Layland Daff or whatever it was called. 

It's odd, isn't it? The 5-3 win over Orient sticks in my mind as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Out of games I enjoyed most (watching since about 05) - United at home, Rovers JPT, Swindon at home promotion season, Middlesbrough FA Cup in 07, Palace playoff semi (although had to watch on TV).

Those are the ones that stick out. More for the overall experience rather than ‘best result’ though.

The Swindon (revenge) night game was pretty special.  That atmosphere and Cott’s reaction……priceless.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Has to be the Leeds Result, they were the best side in the country at the time.

It could be argued that they were the best side in Europe at the time, too.

Surprised there's no mention of beating Arsenal at Highbury on the opening day of the 76-77 season. In the week leading up to it all we had in the national press was how Supermac on his debut would put the country bumpkins on their return to the top flight after 65 years to the sword but City totally outplayed them

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1