IGNORED

Which Result Was Our Best Ever?

RedLionLad

Most important? Hard to say without a fixed criteria,

Enjoyment probably the man u game or Mansfield away for me,

But nether are our most important, most important?  2 results

16/05/77 beating liverpool and

19/05/77 and drawing with covenrty securing survival in the top flight probably 

Manchester United has to be my pick (not been around too long as this answer may tell you)! Korey Smith's goal is the only City goal I've not celebrated with a yell, because I was genuinely stunned into a silence (with both hands in the air and my jaw on the floor). Into a semi-final of a major tournament, you can't help but start to dream.

Then we drew Man City and I went home to bed.

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Rotherham in 2007 to finally get us back up to the second tier was a highlight for sure. Not the 'best' match or result ever, but was arguably the start of the club becoming a relatively secure championship club. Great day out too - with the weather and pitch invasion after

This for me aswell.. After years and years of playing in the third tier we finally did it. Amazing moment, a squad of really likeable players too which always helps - the season after wasn’t too shabby either!

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1

Born in '94. Having read the forum for years and not having much knowledge of anything before 2001 I will go based on my own time.

Top 5
1. City 2-1 Man Utd 2017
2. City 3-0 Swindon 2015
3. Mansfield 4-5 City 2002
4. City 3-1 Rotherham 2007
5. Cardiff 1-3 City 2001

All for differing reasons. I didn't include the Playoff Semi final wins as we didn't see the job through and that will always remain my main memory.

• Like 1

Not the most glamorous of games but one of the first City games I saw was the 4-1 win over Crewe when Bob Taylor scored an incredible hat trick.

A Boxing Day 4-0 thrashing of Millwall another year was quite special. (Remember Tinnion running the show)

Sadly can’t remember the year of either of them

53 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Yes and lost the final! Don’t bring back the bad memories 

Takes nothing away from it. IMO that game must be in the conversation when talking about the Club's 'best ever' result.

I wish I could speak to someone who remembers those early years, and in particular our first spell in the top flight between 1905 - 1911. It was fleeting success (as always with our club) but 1905 - 1911 is our greatest period ever if you measure it by final league positions, cup runs etc.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Super said:

Best i would say Man United we outplayed a very good team full of internationals.

They had 55% possession that night. We had 11 shots and 6 on target, they had 19 and 5. I think they hit the post first half, at 0:0.

We definitely outscored them, and scored by far the quality goals, but "outplayed" them is a figment of your fertile imagination I would say. But don't let me get in the way of that, I'm sure I won't. You remember it as you please!

40 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It was my first season, I can still list most of the team now without looking it up:

Leaning or Sinclair 

Bailey

llewelyn  

Newman

Rennie

Gavin

Taylor

Turner

Smith

Bent

Leaning  Newman, Taylor, bent.... 

Pretty much childhood superheros right there. 

They should never have been sold, they should still be playing today ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

They had 55% possession that night. We had 11 shots and 6 on target, they had 19 and 5. I think they hit the post first half, at 0:0.

We definitely outscored them, and scored by far the quality goals, but "outplayed" them is a figment of your fertile imagination I would say. But don't let me get in the way of that, I'm sure I won't. You remember it as you please!

That's what Jose said! ?

Maybe outplayed was the wrong word but certainly thought we deserved to win.

May not be THE best ever City result but its one of MY best ever City results. Beating the Gas 3-2 at home just a few days before Xmas in 2000, especially after being one down in the first minute. 

Just remember freezing my nuts off, singing Walking in a Wilson Wonderland and Beadle scoring. Great result, great night ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No question, beating champions Liverpool 2-1 in 1977 as we fought to stay up at the end of our first season back in the First Division.

We were still bottom of the league with only 5 games to go, but we only lost once in our last 8 (in the days of 2 points for a win, a draw was more useful), the run went;

Stoke (a) 2-2, QPR (a) 1-0, Leeds (a) 0-2, Man U (h) 1-1, Leeds (h) 1-0, Boro (a) 0-0, Liverpool (h) 2-1 then the 2-2 draw at Coventry.

What a run of results for a team that looked dead & buried, truly magical times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No question, beating champions Liverpool 2-1 in 1977 as we fought to stay up at the end of our first season back in the First Division.

Spot on - that was a brill result - nearly 39,000 packed into Ashton Gate - Chris Garland notched twice - and Liverpool played a full strength eleven - they also went on to win The European Cup about a week after that game - great memories ...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Which game are you talking about? There’s a few to choose from where Man Utd is concerned - the Mabbutt hatrick at Old Trafford in 1978? Doing the double over Man Utd in the 1974/1975 season? 

The recent cup game. I wasn't at the others you mentioned.

• Like 1