IGNORED

Which Result Was Our Best Ever?

RedLionLad

5 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

For me, without a doubt 1977 last game of the season, Coventry 2-2.

You had to be there, amazing scenes at full time. And both sets of fans ecstatic.

It felt better than getting promotion the previous season.

And the number of us away supporters was unbelievable.

Pulled up bits of turf at Highfield Road after ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, extonsred said:

Def Leeds....so much a Goliath game....on headline news on R4 every hour all the way home! But isn't it sad how few truly specials there have been...when you've been supporting 63 years as I have. All games mentioned so memorable. 

I take the opposite view. Can’t think of many, if any, teams I’d have preferred to have supported in the entire league. 

The highs, and there have been many, can only truly be fully appreciated if you’ve experienced the lows.

Following City over a period slightly less than you started with the third division, then up to the first, down to the fourth in successive seasons, back to the second.Enjoyable cup runs in different competitions including Wembley victories, and pretty intense rivalries with some of the most notorious fan bases in the leagues - Cardiff/Wales, Millwall, Brum - plus an cross-city one thrown in. 

OK we’ve been becalmed on several occasions and been really crap with little hope - the last few years have been some of the worst - but generally speaking its been a great ride. I even enjoyed some of the days in fourth, Chester away was amazing, trips to Notts County (I think the fourth, could have been the third) were always great parties, watching Coops turning a failing ship around single-handedly was brilliant. 

Witnessing The Gate constantly evolve into one the finest sporting venues has been an added bonus too, as has been the development of the Bristol Sport concept. 

Few fans of a local club could have been on a journey like ours.

Just need to top it off for me with a visit to the Premiership, maybe a (proper) Wembley final and the jobs a good’un. 

Edited by RedRock

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

beating Arsenal on the first game of the new season in Division 1

If I had one wish I think I'd travel back in time and go to this game. Others might have been bigger, or more dramatic, but this must have just been so much fun to attend, and is a quite significant result in our history.

Some really good ideas on this thread. 

I'm perhaps foolishly hoping that I might one day have a European game to attend...maybe...maybe.

Bizarrely I dont think I've ever been prouder than losing at home to city under pep.

They had such a strong team and we only lost because we threw everyone forward looking for a winner. 

That man city team went on to amass 100 points , yet in both games we were drawing with them in injury time. 

Like I said...not 'best' but ironically my most proudest 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Chester, Sealand Rd, 1984. City were back.

This is up there for me too.

We thought we were going bust and out of existence, then when we survived we wondered if we’d ever stop going down the leagues.

This marked the end of the horrific, record breaking slide and we were on our way back. 

• Like 1

I’ve always enjoyed the wins over the sags and Swindle over the years ….local derby games . But the Manure win in the cup was a very special evening and one of those ‘I was there’ moments that will stay with me . 
Hopefully there will be more memorable wins down the line that will make it into peoples special memories . Proud to be City! ….:yawn:

7 hours ago, beaverface said:

Louie Donowa goal versus Rovers was up there for me. Pure tension and relief. We played well that night and deserved the win, but it all looked in doubt when the gash were awarded a late penalty.

Leicester FA Cup away deserves a mention also.

Definitely  both game in my top 3 especially the Donowa game stood in the dolman singing CITY ARE BACK 

Edited by sticks 1969

Some cracking wins.  The last gasp 2-1 win over Hartlepool when the Dolman shook.  Leicester away in the cup with Super Jack.  Liverpool away in 94.  
But my most treasured memory is against them.  1-0 Donowa 88.  We battered them, my heart sank when Devon got a pen, only for skeletor to have it saved by Leaning?  Literally feet away from them behind the goal in the open end.  I thought Louie had cocked it up, but it was spilled and finally, finally we’d beaten them in the league and complete pandemonium ensured.  Glorious!  Back to the (long gone) Penpole Inn for a couple of lagers and a sneaky jazz fag!!!

• Like 1

Two stand out for me as the best result (not necessarily most thrilling as that would be Mansfield).

Bradford 0 - 6 City. To go to a play off chasing team away and absolutely smash them from start to finish to confirm promotion was simply unbelievable. It just outlined how good we were that season and so much better than the rest of the division.

Man City 2 - 1 City. Forget beating an average Man Utd at home, to go away to Man City who were absolutely dominating teams that season, they didn't us and this result made a game of the second leg. Great performance,  memorable moments like Flints clearance over the bar and unlucky to concede at the end.

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Beating Leeds at Elland Road in 1974 was pretty special. My brother refused to believe the result until he read it in the paper. 

This or the Forest away semi final in '89, we had been given no chance in either. Forest were unbeaten for eons IIRC and Leeds were all conquering at the time.

My favourite that I was actually at, although I was at the City ground that night, would be the aforementioned night in Coventry or the win at Highbury back in the top Division, we deserved to win that game.

• Like 1

Loads of good memories khere but that Mansfield 5-4 away was top for a match I didn't  attend. Before mobile phones, with my mrs broadmead shopping, I would go to the tv department in Debenhams at 4.45 to watch the teletext updates. Down up misery and eventual elation. Me and a few others must have put off any potential tv purchasers. Another favourite was the 3-1 win at Hereford when we were rock bottom of the fourth division 1982. An evening  post Christmas match with all day drinking, many in fancy dress. Every goal was followed by a pitch invasion mostly led by several dr marten clad nuns.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redstart said:

May not be THE best ever City result but its one of MY best ever City results. Beating the Gas 3-2 at home just a few days before Xmas in 2000, especially after being one down in the first minute. 

Just remember freezing my nuts off, singing Walking in a Wilson Wonderland and Beadle scoring. Great result, great night ?

…and Tony Thorpe’s header after Aaron Brown’s run remains my favourite City goal of all time.

If we're talking realistically, without nostalgia, then beating Leeds in the F A Cup away in 1974 has to be the logical choice, at least in my lifetime.

Liverpool away was good but they were on a downer, with Souness sacked/resigned afterwards. Coventry was great but only a draw and we were in the same div as them. Portsmouth at home was good but not a great performance against a lowly team while we were a top team in that division.

So, given that Leeds were the best team in the country at the time, they were on a long unbeaten run and, we were in a division below and not setting the world on fire, it has to be that match. After all, it even made the front page of the Times as well as most other nationals. I even remember it being in lights as it went around the top of the Hippodrome  on the centre.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

If we're talking realistically, without nostalgia, then beating Leeds in the F A Cup away in 1974 has to be the logical choice, at least in my lifetime.

Liverpool away was good but they were on a downer, with Souness sacked/resigned afterwards. Coventry was great but only a draw and we were in the same div as them. Portsmouth at home was good but not a great performance against a lowly team while we were a top team in that division.

So, given that Leeds were the best team in the country at the time, they were on a long unbeaten run and, we were in a division below and not setting the world on fire, it has to be that match. After all, it even made the front page of the Times as well as most other nationals. I even remember it being in lights as it went around the top of the Hippodrome  on the centre.

? I remember the headline in the Mirror… ‘Oh Darling Donnie’.. (for you young uns, Donnie Osmand was the pop heart throb at the time)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj8hcKYsd_1AhX9zTgGHdU0DjcQwqsBegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Th1peqmkHk&usg=AOvVaw2iX7PGCYpo7NNQbABzw1PW

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rich said:

Just checked, as I posted about this game, I was interested what their run was like.
Lost at Ipswich in the League Cup in October, that was their only defeat until we beat them at Elland Road in February.
29 League games and 4 FA Cup games (including the draw at the Gate ), 9 points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table. 
They were THAT good. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just checked, as I posted about this game, I was interested what their run was like.
Lost at Ipswich in the League Cup in October, that was their only defeat until we beat them at Elland Road in February.
29 League games and 4 FA Cup games (including the draw at the Gate ), 9 points clear of Liverpool at the top of the table. 
They were THAT good. 

Thanks for that. I knew they'd been on a good run and were consistently the team to beat at the time, dirty buggers though. 

We also ended another teams run a few years later. Crystal Palace had gone 26 games I think, without winning, until they came to Ashton Gate. It doesn't seem to have changed much in that respect.

• Like 1