IGNORED

Which Result Was Our Best Ever?

RedLionLad

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Thanks for that. I knew they'd been on a good run and were consistently the team to beat at the time, dirty buggers though. 

We also ended another teams run a few years later. Crystal Palace had gone 26 games I think, without winning, until they came to Ashton Gate. It doesn't seem to have changed much in that respect.

Yeah, Palace ?

I've mentioned that a few times over the season. My Dad took me down , I was really confident, and , well, Bristol City init.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Markman said:

Individually - the win at Mansfield was pretty special

9 hours ago, The turtle said:

If I remember it was a pretty decent following that day too. That or the people who were there has grown in my head over time. 

Isn't it like that thing where famously, if everyone who claims they were at the Sex Pistols gig at the 100 Club in 1976 was really there, they would fill the away end at Mansfield? Or vice versa?

Edited by City Rocker
  • Haha 1

One of the best games I ever attended was the night we played Hereford Utd in the second leg semi final of the Freight Rover trophy, we were 2-0 down from the first leg equalised with literally the last kick of the match sending it to extra time, the moment we got the winner to Qualify for our first ever final at Wembley is still one of the best nights of my life, and well the rest is history.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Isn't it like that thing where famously, if everyone who claims they were at the Sex Pistols gig at the 100 Club in 1976 was really there, they would fill the away end at Mansfield? Or vice versa?

I had a ticket to see them at the Bamboo Club. Gutted, the place burned down☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityfan1958 said:

There is a very obvious one that has not been mentioned yet.

Arsenal 0 Bristol City 1.

First game back in the top flight. On the TV and a certain M MacDonald was going to tear us a new one.

Sadly the game after was one of the low points.

Agree on both counts...the cost of losing Cheesley was massive...

Not read all the pages here but v surprised it has taken so long to post this match. Such a feeling of pride in our team that day...

10 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Not sure that many to claim that really - I know I was there as I can see me on the grainy video I have :laugh: - I also had (still have) a ticket for the Pistols when they were due to play at the Bamboo Club - which sadly never happened sob sob

• Like 1

9 hours ago, extonsred said:

Agree on both counts...the cost of losing Cheesley was massive...

Not read all the pages here but v surprised it has taken so long to post this match. Such a feeling of pride in our team that day...

At least you have admitted you haven't read all the pages on here but I highlighted this game on page 1 of this thread!!

23 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - that was a brill result - nearly 39,000 packed into Ashton Gate - Chris Garland notched twice - and Liverpool played a full strength eleven - they also went on to win The European Cup about a week after that game - great memories ...

Liverpool played a strong XI but rested the likes of Kevin Keegan and a couple of others. They had won the league the game before two days earlier, were playing in the FA Cup Final five days later and the European Cup Final 4 days after that. It was a strong side they fielded but I wouldn't say it was full strength.

5 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Liverpool played a strong XI but rested the likes of Kevin Keegan and a couple of others. They had won the league the game before two days earlier, were playing in the FA Cup Final five days later and the European Cup Final 4 days after that. It was a strong side they fielded but I wouldn't say it was full strength.

The Liverpool team when we beat them 2-1 in May 1977 was:

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal

Alec Lindsay

Tommy Smith

Emlyn Hughes

Ray Kennedy

Ian Callaghan

Jimmy Case

David Johnson

Terry McDermott

David Fairclough

... that is not a significantly weakened side, in fact it looks like a very strong Liverpool team - but that’s just my opinion - and I totally respect your opinion ??

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 15:35, Redstart said:

May not be THE best ever City result but its one of MY best ever City results. Beating the Gas 3-2 at home just a few days before Xmas in 2000, especially after being one down in the first minute. 

Just remember freezing my nuts off, singing Walking in a Wilson Wonderland and Beadle scoring. Great result, great night ?

They'd never put a derby on fighting Friday again. 

On 01/02/2022 at 13:17, Sleepy1968 said:

I think this is an impossible question to answer. It's all about context. For me the 0-0 draw with Fulham after we had been saved is the most important game/result in our history, simply because a lot of us didn't think we'd survive to play the match.

Fulham ? Whatever happened to them ?

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Liverpool team when we beat them 2-1 in May 1977 was:

Ray Clemence

Phil Neal

Alec Lindsay

Tommy Smith

Emlyn Hughes

Ray Kennedy

Ian Callaghan

Jimmy Case

David Johnson

Terry McDermott

David Fairclough

... that is not a significantly weakened side, in fact it looks like a very strong Liverpool team - but that’s just my opinion - and I totally respect your opinion ??

Thanks for putting the side. That team they put out was probably good enough to beat any team in the country so it was a very strong side. But there were three changes made from their usual eleven, and this was in an age where teams were rarely changed (unless due to injury or loss of form which was rarely the case with successful sides).   Alec Lindsay, if I recall,  played little that season as he had been ousted by Joey Jones, and Kevin Keegan and Steve Heighway were also missing.

Nowadays we are used to squad rotation so any 11 from 14 top players would seem like a full strength team, but I recall when I was at the game it felt like Liverpool were resting three key players from their usual eleven. Back then the Football League took strong disciplinary action against any team seen to significantly weaken their team for a fixture, so resting three players from their usual eleven was the most they thought they could do without incurring the wrath of the FL 

I totally agree with you it was a very strong team Liverpool put out that night but I would still contend that it was a little way off from their strongest team. ??

• Like 1

So many good memories from reading this thread.

The most important have to be the ones from 76/77 already mentioned (1-0 v Pompey to clinch promotion, 0-1 at Arsenal opening game, 2-1 v Liverpool & 2-2 at Coventry to survive).  

One not mentioned worth a mention was beating the Gas at Eastville in the old div2  in 1974, blowing a gale with the wind behind them Gas 1-0 up at HT, but with the wind at our backs we come back to win 1-4. Many of the eventual promotion side playing.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

So many good memories from reading this thread.

The most important have to be the ones from 76/77 already mentioned (1-0 v Pompey to clinch promotion, 0-1 at Arsenal opening game, 2-1 v Liverpool & 2-2 at Coventry to survive).  

One not mentioned worth a mention was beating the Gas at Eastville in the old div2  in 1974, blowing a gale with the wind behind them Gas 1-0 up at HT, but with the wind at our backs we come back to win 1-4. Many of the eventual promotion side playing.

Thanks @old_eastender  - saved to my youtube watch later list. Was 'We all agree Roger Moore is a ******' a feature of mid seventies terrace songs?

Edited by Sleepy1968

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Thanks @old_eastender  - saved to my youtube watch later list. Was 'We all agree Roger Moore is a ******' a feature of mid seventies terrace songs?

Roger Malone wasn't it... but yes I recall that popular ditty. Lovely bit of commentary on that video where Cheese appears to put a foot into Frankie Prince, and Roger says "he was probably asking for it anyway" in his explanation of why no action from the referee. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Roger Malone wasn't it... but yes I recall that popular ditty. Lovely bit of commentary on that video where Cheese appears to put a foot into Frankie Prince, and Roger says "he was probably asking for it anyway" in his explanation of why no action from the referee. 

Ha, sorry, I was trying to do a cryptic crossword (I'm terrible at them) with the clue: "Bond's capture of copper puts things straight (6)' at the same time :)