IGNORED

Home chefs

Bristol Rob

Talk of takeaways and best restaurants in Bristol, but what are your cooking skills like?

Any must-have gadgets you swear by, any online chefs you follow and have produced some epic results from using their recipes? Any butchers you think are a cut above?

I have been making Indian food following the recipes from Misty Ricado and Latifs Inspired (both on YouTube) and haven't ordered a takeaway curry in a few months now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Not the best cook being at work all day i usually use the slow cooker got a nice beef stew to look forward to later!

I def would like to be able to cook more things though.

Got a slow cooker about 6 months ago, a shoulder of pork in a homemade barbecue and chilli s.auce and then left for about 12 to 14 hours is an absolute delight.

I have the advantage of working from home so for long-cooks, I can tend to them during the day if needs be.

Edited by Bristol Rob
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

I wouldn't claim to be a great cook, but I do like to have a go. Roasts, curries (getting pretty good at these), risottos and various veggie recipes (fiancee and daughter are veggies).

I am keen on making stuff from scratch. Churned butter from cream, and made some mozzerella from unpasteurised milk and vinegar...very easy and turned out a treat.

Baking is also something I try...home made soda farls always go down well with the family.

Oh, and slow cookers are excellent!

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz

10 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Baking is also something I try...home made soda farls always go down well with the family.

Brilliant. Slice and grill and then fill with fried egg and bacon and sausage!

If you can make Wheaten Bread, you'll be able to play football for Northern Ireland or Ireland!

• Like 1

I love my griddle. So handy for cooking the likes of chicken on it without it being too oily. Also so handy for sausages (so they don't bloody roll everywhere), and also really like chargrilling broccoli on it.

In terms of hosting, I have a raclette which is excellent. Essentially getting guests to cook their own dinner, but many love the novelty!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selred said:

I love my griddle. So handy for cooking the likes of chicken on it without it being too oily. Also so handy for sausages (so they don't bloody roll everywhere), and also really like chargrilling broccoli on it.

In terms of hosting, I have a raclette which is excellent. Essentially getting guests to cook their own dinner, but many love the novelty!

I have recently upgraded my griddle to a hob-top jobby.

Sits over the hob and is reversible one third on one side is completely smooth with the other third a raised griddle, and on the other side, the opposite (two parts griddle to one part flat). Feel like I work in either a burger van or one of those Asian restaurants where they cook at your table.

It's great. Issue is keeping the thing clean and seasoned.

• Like 1

Big foodie….I enjoy cooking and like to make things from scratch…I cook a mean steak and make a very nice Cottage pie which is even better next day . Love making Curry’s and home made soup …big fan of Saturday Kitchen and James Martin . 
Very lucky to have some of the best produce here including fantastic Veg,meat, fish and shellfish. 

• Like 1

I enjoy a bit of time home cooking and I love a kitchen gadget! There are a few at the back of the cupboard with the Breville toasted sandwich maker (doughnut maker, raclette etc), but the 2 devices I use much more than the conventional oven are : Anova Precision Oven - this is an amazing piece of kit (not cheap at £550) which can sous vide (amazing for meat), it can steam for baking (and even proofs dough if you want), it can air fry for frozen foods along with a few other uses. The other device is an Instant Pot (similar to Ninja) and this is great one pot option  for pasta, curries and you can cook a whole chicken in about 35 minutes if you are in a rush! 

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I have recently upgraded my griddle to a hob-top jobby.

Sits over the hob and is reversible one third on one side is completely smooth with the other third a raised griddle, and on the other side, the opposite (two parts griddle to one part flat). Feel like I work in either a burger van or one of those Asian restaurants where they cook at your table.

It's great. Issue is keeping the thing clean and seasoned.

Hob top jobby...not sure that I like the sound of that.

• Haha 1

Like to do a lot of stuff myself, within my limited skills and kit. Signature dish is a pizza, which is better if you don't count calories.

Agree that there are lots of good cooks on You Tube, which help. I did come across a new bit of kitchen equipment recently which is Thermomix - a computerised food processor on steroids. It does so much at the touch of a button. Cost? £1100. I'd want a new car for that...

41 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Get yourselves a Ninja 7 in 1 cooker. Airfryer, steamer, grill, bake, roast, slow cook and pressure cooker.

Does amazing, crispy yet juicy roast chicken.

Looked at the air fryers and decided against it based on limitations using wet batter and the amount of room they took up.

Got a deep fat fryer instead. So not only am I making bang-on Bhajis and fantastic falafel, I can also pretend I made it to Bully's Prize Board! Innnnnnnnnn one.......

24 minutes ago, Matty C said:

I enjoy a bit of time home cooking and I love a kitchen gadget! There are a few at the back of the cupboard with the Breville toasted sandwich maker (doughnut maker, raclette etc), but the 2 devices I use much more than the conventional oven are : Anova Precision Oven - this is an amazing piece of kit (not cheap at £550) which can sous vide (amazing for meat), it can steam for baking (and even proofs dough if you want), it can air fry for frozen foods along with a few other uses. The other device is an Instant Pot (similar to Ninja) and this is great one pot option  for pasta, curries and you can cook a whole chicken in about 35 minutes if you are in a rush! 

I think we have a 'used once' spiraliser (or whatever it was called) somewhere in a cupboard. Probably next to a bread maker that promised the earth and didn't quite make the grade.

Love cooking. Indian is without a doubt my favourite to make.

Try this recipe...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/next-level-tikka-masala/amp

As a tip, wuth the marinaded chicken, cook it on the bbq to get a nice smokey tikka flavour. Get this one right and it's restaurant quality.

Some Indian colleagues I used to work with some years back recommend this site...

https://www.vahrehvah.com/

I think he's a celeb chef over there and it has a lot of tasty, local authentic recipes. Worth a look.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 1

Interesting thread as I quite like cooking. Had not thought about a slow cooker before but am beginning to wonder. Have frequently thought about buying a bread maker but suspect it would just be a big kitchen item quickly resigned to the cupboard.

To downsize things a bit one of the most satisfying gadgets I have is a mezzaluna - very therapeutic.

If you are looking for something quick, easy and different to do with beef mince, you might like to try this South African recipe.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bobotie

We are not big curry fans in our house, so I replaced the curry powder with extra mango chutney, 

I love the BBC good food app by the way, I have all my favourites in categories. They have added a pay option recently but if you ignore the sign up a couple of times it goes away.

As there are just 2 of us I spend most of my time halving or even 3rding the ingredients. 

Making this lovely steak and ale pie today, always goes down well.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/steak-ale-pie

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

Interesting thread as I quite like cooking. Had not thought about a slow cooker before but am beginning to wonder. Have frequently thought about buying a bread maker but suspect it would just be a big kitchen item quickly resigned to the cupboard.

To downsize things a bit one of the most satisfying gadgets I have is a mezzaluna - very therapeutic.

Slow cooker - essential 

Bread maker - waste of time - making bread from scratch is  awesome, a bit time consuming but well worth it once you get the hang of it

IMHO of course 

If you like making curry then I highly recommend this book

You need to make a “base” Source which can be used for most of them and a “mixed powder” but if you make a massive batch of both in one hit you’re sorted for a good while 

It’s the closest I’ve had to proper restaurant stuff by making myself. Definitely worth the effort 

BF5223BD-4517-4FE0-8DBB-210B52A5B4CC.jpeg

24 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

That sounds awesome. Could you use butter instead of lard? Tempted to try this at the weekend. 

An all butter pastry might be a bit sweet, I only do that for dessert pies, but you can try it. I would blind bake the base first though as the lard stops the filling from soaking into it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

If you like making curry then I highly recommend this book

You need to make a “base” Source which can be used for most of them and a “mixed powder” but if you make a massive batch of both in one hit you’re sorted for a good while 

It’s the closest I’ve had to proper restaurant stuff by making myself. Definitely worth the effort 

BF5223BD-4517-4FE0-8DBB-210B52A5B4CC.jpeg

Most of the online chefs I follow use a base gravy, so I have been making and freezing it.

Also, a huge amount to be said for pre-cooking the meat. Lamb in particular comes out really nice and tender.

As a result of the right prep, base gravy, mix powder, pre cooked meat, I can throw together any one of dozens of different 'British Indian Restaurant' style dishes in under 30 minutes.

Just bought a load of spice jars that I am going to purpose for that reason, and to save having to measure spice by the meal, to reduce cooking time further.

• Like 2