IGNORED

Ismael Sacked By West Brom

Curr Avon

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Very unfortunate for both Ismael and Barnsley.

They were doing really well together; they parted and now look at them both.

Perhaps both parties got what they deserved. Heaven help anyone who buys into this lot. 
More compensation to be paid out…no doubt another club heading for the mire if they do not reach the promised land.

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'd love someone to compile a list of managers who left one club to go to another and be successful for the new club.  I swear more often that not it usually ends in disaster. 

City wise I can only think of GJ as one who had success when leaving his former club.  

Understand where you're coming from Tom but GJ next two clubs after us were Peterborough and Northampton and he failed miserably at both

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

I'd love someone to compile a list of managers who left one club to go to another and be successful for the new club.  I swear more often that not it usually ends in disaster. 

City wise I can only think of GJ as one who had success when leaving his former club.  

I assume you mean GJ leaving his former club (Yeovil) to come here, as he didn’t shine when he left (Peterborough, Cheltenham) although did well, to be fair, at Torquay.

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I meant more specifically where a manager is poached from Club A and goes to Club B rather than longer term managerial record. How many times do the leave to be a success and where they join. As say can only think of GJ at City.   

Point Taken.  

Actually think NP could be a good fit there, board patience or lack of notwithstanding.

Obviously he won't be considered, and that's good- he has a big job to do here.

As for Barnsley what might have been.

A scenario in which Ismael stays may also see Mowatt and their talented CEO stay.

They also had the financial headroom to attract Marcondes on a free with some feelgood and momentum on their side.

As it turned out, manager went to West Brom and took the talisman with him, Dane Murphy was headhunted by- and went to- Nottingham Forest and Marcondes went to fellow playoff losers Bournemouth.

Sliding doors.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That Darren Moore chap seems to be doing quite well at Sheffield Wednesday ?.

Yes, all West Brom need to do is get relegated to the division below & I’m sure they’ll storm it. There is a huge gap now between those divisions, look at the top 2, Rotherham & Wycombe…

Enzo Maresca being linked, ex player, former Parma coach.

Update, looks like it is Steve Bruce.

Edited by GrahamC

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, all West Brom need to do is get relegated to the division below & I’m sure they’ll storm it. There is a huge gap now between those divisions, look at the top 2, Rotherham & Wycombe…

Enzo Maresca being linked, ex player, former Parma coach.

Update, looks like it is Steve Bruce.

I wasn’t suggesting for a moment that WBA contemplate hiring Darren Moore (he’s down with COVID again, anyway ?).

My post was very much tongue in cheek, although I still feel he was slightly hard done by given the manner of his dismissal.

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

I meant more specifically where a manager is poached from Club A and goes to Club B rather than longer term managerial record. How many times do the leave to be a success at where they join. As say can only think of GJ at City.   

Klopp?

54 minutes ago, TomF said:

I meant more specifically where a manager is poached from Club A and goes to Club B rather than longer term managerial record. How many times do the leave to be a success at where they join. As say can only think of GJ at City.   

Off the top of my head:

Alex Ferguson is the obvious although I admit that’s some time ago. More recently, you’d be able to say Dean Smith when going from Brentford to Villa, Ryan Lowe when going from Bury to Plymouth, Mourinho from Porto to Chelsea, Chris Wilder when going from Northampton to Sheffield United and the aforementioned Alex Neil from Hamilton to Norwich. Also Paul Lambert from Colchester to Norwich. It’s all relative and money is a factor but each left the new club in a better position than they found it having left as a success at the prior club.

There will be more - that’s just a quick think through

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

Haha that was my point, it takes you a while to think of any that did have success from actually moving across. 

Ferguson & Wenger both left clubs to have massive success but not sure there are many others I can think of. 

To quote the Batman "You either die a hero, or live to become the Villian". 

Someone like Dean Smith could be an example? Especially getting Villa promoted?