IGNORED

Power of attorney

54-46

Does anyone have experience of sorting a POA?

My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and the support nurse suggested we should take one out sooner rather than later

I can see you can sort online but wondered if anyone had used a solicitor to take care of it and what they charge 

Appreciate I could do online myself but am thinking it may prove less hassle to get a professional to help me

Thanks

not cheap, and costs can vary

did one for the same reasons as you.

you need two.

one for health and welfare and one for financial matters.

i went through a lawyer and it was (I think) £750, per. will try and dig back to see.

Be aware that having a POA doesn't automatically grant you control. you might have to actually legally enforce it.

I had to take over my mums bank accounts and it took me a long time to get the bank to play ball.

in terms of her welfare i had got her into a home, but the social care team deemed that she still 'had a voice' so sent her home again, despite a long history of issues i won't go into here.

i am now battling a lack of care as all the care agencies are totally overstretched and unable to cope, and unable to provide care for her. trying to find private care is tricky as there are not so many good ones around and my mum is very difficult, so carers don't want to go.

in order to get her back into a care home i would have to prove she was incapable in order to effect the POA. that would mean effectively sectioning her, which as you'll imagine is not an option i want to take with my own mum.

i would advise talking to the alzheimers society they may be able to help you on this, even advise how and where to go to get a POA drawn up.

do it properly though and yes, do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck mate, the care system is pretty broken. i do hope you get support and care for her, and it may sound a bit wafty but make sure you look after yourself. it can be quite tough at times when/ if their behaviour changes.

• Thanks 1

Would echo the advice to get it done ASAP presuming that your mum is still able to consent.

We were too late with my Nana and so had to go through the Court of Protection which is a hell of a lot more hassle as you need submissions from doctors, care providers etc and then once granted you have to give a yearly report of any money paid out to show that it's in line with how the person would have acted if they were still capable.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both, I’ll get in touch with a solicitor tomorrow.  Appreciate the quick response 

Although only recently diagnosed the speed in which she is deteriorating is a big shock - sounds a bit selfish but she’s already forgot my birthday ☹️

She has MS, and yesterday got the all clear from her 2nd bought of cancer but this vile illness is the worst.  It’s tough  

8 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Thanks both, I’ll get in touch with a solicitor tomorrow.  Appreciate the quick response 

Although only recently diagnosed the speed in which she is deteriorating is a big shock - sounds a bit selfish but she’s already forgot my birthday ☹️

She has MS, and yesterday got the all clear from her 2nd bought of cancer but this vile illness is the worst.  It’s tough  

Thoughts with you & your Mum mate. Echo the sentiment from @Antman - look after yourself. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure of the process, but I received two 'last power or attorney' letters in the post late last week, both in relation to my father.

I'll give him a bell later and find out who arranged it for him.

Kinda hoped he might have said something to me as it came as a bit of a surprise and wasn't expected.

one thing you may or may not know.

you'll get those confirmation letters, but you do need to get a copy of the full document. this should be either sent to your dad or via his solicitor.

I needed the full document (or a certified copy of it) to show to the care home.

He should have a copy for himself and a copy for whoever is named on it.

You can do your own POAs online if you can get your head around the aspects of an important set of documents.

I did both for my Mum, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. In our case it was just the two of us (no siblings, Dad was already gone) and the circumstances were pretty simple and straightforward. All done online with the help of a certified set of copies done at a Job Centre, and only cost a little over £100 each. Just make sure every detail is correct or they will discard it. Of course, you can tailor the details as you wish, with the caveat that you need to name other people who will act as overseers and check that it is in order. Kind of non-exec directors on a company board.

If you have many people who want to have a say in your Mum's care and affairs or there are other disagreements then clearly a solicitor would be the better path as the legal complexities increase rapidly the more are involved. These are weighty legal commitments and you must make sure everyone knows the deal.

Best of luck with that and hope your Mum is as well as can be expected. If she still has mental capacity then it's a race against time before she is legally prevented from agreeing to POAs.

Edited by Erithacus
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Antman said:

one thing you may or may not know.

you'll get those confirmation letters, but you do need to get a copy of the full document. this should be either sent to your dad or via his solicitor.

I needed the full document (or a certified copy of it) to show to the care home.

He should have a copy for himself and a copy for whoever is named on it.

He's not in a care home, pretty sure he'll be in the pub about now, waiting on a phone call from my mum, telling him his tea is almost ready!

I'm gonna give him a bell later, find out what's going on!

On 02/02/2022 at 21:54, 54-46 said:

Does anyone have experience of sorting a POA?

My mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and the support nurse suggested we should take one out sooner rather than later

I can see you can sort online but wondered if anyone had used a solicitor to take care of it and what they charge 

Appreciate I could do online myself but am thinking it may prove less hassle to get a professional to help me

Thanks

You can do it yourself online. My Mrs did it for both her parents, it sorts out a load of hassle once it’s done. 

• Like 1