IGNORED

In conversation with ....... Rob Newman

headhunter

In this special edition episode of the FBC Podcast I had the pleasure of interviewing City Legend Rob Newman who pulled on the shirt in almost 500 games over the period 1982-1991. 

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-rob-newman/  [also on Apple & Google Podcasts plus Spotify]

40 years ago this week the departure of the Ashton Gate 8 meant 18 year old Rob was handed his league debut against Fulham as the dawning of a new era began for the club.

This chat with Rob is interesting and informative beginning that eventful week in February 1982. Rob then talks of how John Atyeo influenced him as a schoolboy and then he takes us through the 80s where he achieved two promotions [84 & 90] alongside many other memorable occasions.

Rob talks about how he never really wanted to leave City in summer 91 but in the years that followed at Norwich he was an integral part of a side that finished 3rd in the inaugural 92/93 Premier League season and then played in famous victory for the Canaries against Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium the following year.

Rob talks about his move into player recruitment with Man City in 2008, naming his best find as David Silva and how in October last year he reunited with former City team-mate David Moyes at West Ham to lead player recruitment there.

This is a truly fascinating listen for any City fan over the age of 45 who'll remember much of what Rob has to say and if you are younger it is good to hear how City came back from the basement of football in troubled yet often fun times, such was the team spirit back then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

Really enjoyed this, thank you.

Just as an aside, is there anything else that could be done to help with sound quality on the regular pod? I’m really grateful for the content, but maybe a little bit of crowd funding for a couple of decent mics?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Thank you. Looking forward to listening to this. What a special player, at a special time for this club. Always seems a little overlooked when the City greats are talked about. 

Spot on Mendip. I remember him coming back to Ashton Gate as assistant Bournemouth manager and just getting a polite ripple of appaulse when he was walking into the Ayteo stand changing rooms after the warm up. Other returning players who hadn't given a tenth of his loyalty have been given hero's receptions doing the same walk.

Edited by Barry Sheene
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Spot on Mendip. I remember him coming back to Ashton Gate as assistant Bournemouth manager and just getting a polite ripple of appaulse when he was walking into the Ayteo stand changing rooms after the warm up. Other returning players who hadn't given a tenth of his loyalty have been given hero's receptions doing the same walk.

He was certainly one of mine

Screenshot_20220203_131549.jpg

• Like 1

I nearly got sacked because of Rob Newman once!

It was the early days of Clubcall (0898 121176?) at quite a high call rate, and also the early days of 'carphones' 

My then boss was not impressed that I racked up nearly £850 in call charges ringing the same premium number a couple of times a day during his proposed move to Norwich.

Only kept my job as I offered to pay it back over the next 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Strange, isn't it, how some very talented players don't get the recognition they deserve, while fans rave about others who, for some reason, seem to catch the eye more? Newman was a hell of a good player and may have suffered a little in some ways because of his sheer versatility. There wasn't much he couldn't do. Centre back, full back, defensive midfield; even saw him play upfront in a crisis. He'd probably have done a more than adequate turn in goal if you'd asked him to. His career after leaving City speaks for itself. Norwich recognised his qualities and certainly knew what they we getting when they signed him. (Reminds me somewhat of the often-derided Dave Rennie, who went to Coventry and had a good spell in the PL after leaving us, though Newman was much the better all-round footballer.) Biff came into the senior side as a raw teenager and helped the club's recovery from near-extinction under the guidance of Terry Cooper. Had huge respect for him. Both of them, in fact.

As to his player recruitment experience and expertise, it might be argued we could use a bit of that around here now, especially from a man who has the club in his blood. Top, top bloke. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really good player was Rob, Mr Versatile, who became even better at Norwich City.

Scored one of the best goals I’ve seen live at AG…40 yard volley from a Joe Jordan chest pass past Roger Freestone versus Newport in 87.  It was the last time we played Newport.

Yes, I remember that! Great goal! I also recall that, frustratingly, when the highlights were on the local news Roger Malone talked it through (in that wonderfully weird way he did), but they only showed it from when the ball left Newman’s boot and not the build up. So until you mentioned it I didn’t know about Jordan’s chest pass. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Strange, isn't it, how some very talented players don't get the recognition they deserve, while fans rave about others who, for some reason, seem to catch the eye more? Newman was a hell of a good player and may have suffered a little in some ways because of his sheer versatility. There wasn't much he couldn't do. Centre back, full back, defensive midfield; even saw him play upfront in a crisis. He'd probably have done a more than adequate turn in goal if you'd asked him to. His career after leaving City speaks for itself. Norwich recognised his qualities and certainly knew what they we getting when they signed him. (Reminds me somewhat of the often-derided Dave Rennie, who went to Coventry and had a good spell in the PL after leaving us, though Newman was much the better all-round footballer.) Biff came into the senior side as a raw teenager and helped the club's recovery from near-extinction under the guidance of Terry Cooper. Had huge respect for him. Both of them, in fact.

As to his player recruitment experience and expertise, it might be argued we could use a bit of that around here now, especially from a man who has the club in his blood. Top, top bloke. 

I remember  him playing in goal. Don't  ask me who against  ?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, I remember that! Great goal! I also recall that, frustratingly, when the highlights were on the local news Roger Malone talked it through (in that wonderfully weird way he did), but they only showed it from when the ball left Newman’s boot and not the build up. So until you mentioned it I didn’t know about Jordan’s chest pass. 

I think you’re right.  Remember seeing one of @1960maaan’s YouTube videos of that season, and it missed the chest pass.

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Almost 500 games? Crikey, that’s more than I would have guessed. True City legend.

Pretty sure it was just under 400 games. Either way, a great servant and in many ways, the ideal person we need in the boardroom right now. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Is that game we won early in in the season?

I'd love to tell you.. 

But I remember two things about that day, plus two parent memories passed on

1. The kickabout in the warm up, having essentially your superheroes passing a ball to you, it's like is this a dream or what. 

2. Going round post game getting as many signatures my ball as possible, I got all bar two I think... A few years later, by brothers used said ball for a kickabout in the rain, like we didn't have enough at home; every signature was rubbed off. I was gutted ?

Al! Apparently the reason I'm holding the ball is because I kept running off without it, it took a few goes to get this photo. 

B. Apparently I ignored half my family from the moment I left the tunnel for warm up, till after kick off. They kept trying to speak to me, but I was in a land far away. ?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, basshead said:

Actually, now you mention it, I think I may have seen him take over during a game as an emergency keeper, following an injury. I have seen Brian Tinnion do the same. It’s the polar opposite of the situation we saw quite recently, when we started a game with two keepers on the bench. Different era.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’re right.  Remember seeing one of @1960maaan’s YouTube videos of that season, and it missed the chest pass.

Not my fault, this time :whistle:

HTV cut straight to the shot, so when I edited onto digital, I paused it and you get a frame or two held. Otherwise it goes straight to the shot and it was hard to watch.  

Biff was a brilliant player for us. Came into that raw team and never looked out of place, some looked light weight , he never did. I knew from early on he would go on to better things. Genuinely two footed, strong and didn't look out of place wherever he played, and he played everywhere for us.

Nice bloke too.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

I nearly got sacked because of Rob Newman once!

It was the early days of Clubcall (0898 121176?) at quite a high call rate, and also the early days of 'carphones' 

My then boss was not impressed that I racked up nearly £850 in call charges ringing the same premium number a couple of times a day during his proposed move to Norwich.

Only kept my job as I offered to pay it back over the next 6 months.

I suggest you missed a trick there Hoss

Clubcall was a necessary check each day , several time’s (As you will recall there was about £2 of intro to rack up the bill and then , often , five minutes of Joe Jordan , impossible to even understand mostly ? )

Over a number of months an almighty phone bill was run up at my place of work ? and the boss demanded an immediate investigation

It transpired that virtually every call was made from one phone / extension in the building .......

The Bosses  ?

Not our fault he was often not in his office 
Clubcall ....Happy days !

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I suggest you missed a trick there Hoss

Clubcall was a necessary check each day , several time’s (As you will recall there was about £2 of intro to rack up the bill and then , often , five minutes of Joe Jordan , impossible to even understand mostly ? )

Over a number of months an almighty phone bill was run up at my place of work ? and the boss demanded an immediate investigation

It transpired that virtually every call was made from one phone / extension in the building .......

The Bosses  ?

Not our fault he was often not in his office 
Clubcall ....Happy days !

0898 12 11 76I used to do score updates, match reports and interviews for a number of years until Jed Pitman [before his HTV days] was appointed as a full time Regional Editor covering City, Rovers, Torquay, Exeter & Plymouth

Great listen. He has some clear memories which he relates well. Loved the story of Bradford City, 89 LC QF , where Joe Jordan playing alone up front bullied all three defenders marking him. They all had blood on their shirts ! 
My 2 visits to Bradford City are up there with the most memorable City games. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, basshead said:

I checked in with Rob and he didn't play in goal for us but did once for Norwich at Sheffield Utd. after Bryn Gunn had been sent off.

I won a small wager with Rob when he said he thought the choice of venue for that deciding play-off game against Walsall in 88 was decided on the toss of a coin. I was right in saying it was a penalty shoot out which we lost 2-4; he couldn't remember if he took one - anyone know who did and scored / missed that day?