IGNORED

Swansea game - snow bomb

A Horse With No Name

3 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Total clickbait. They are as bad as the Daily Express!

They have been predicting an Arctic blizzard to hit the country since October, it was going to be a freeze hitting us last week as well, I suppose eventually they will get it right it's laughable how wrong they have been this year.

• Like 1

I miss the days when matches were played on frozen pitches. It reduced the quality of the football played but, somehow, increased the entertainment value. I remember watching City play Spurs on a frozen pitch when Gerry Gow spent the entire match trying to kick Ossie Ardiles. He failed miserably as Ossie could keep his balance on the ice and Gerry couldn’t 

42 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I know its over a week away, but the  Bristol Post reporting news from the Met Office of a snow bomb travelling over South Wales and West Country, starting Saturday 12th. Our game is on the Sunday so has to be in .some doubt.

Screenshot_20220203_103335_com.android.chrome.jpg

They report this every year about 15 times,

We end up with drizzle

WX Charts is the public access forecast of Met Desk Ltd. Three blokes based in this exciting office, next to Wendover station in Hampshire.  If the Meteorological Office forecast snow I'd take it seriously. If these clickbait jokers do, I'd not worry about buying a new snow shovel.

MetDesk Ltd - Office Profile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I miss the days when matches were played on frozen pitches. It reduced the quality of the football played but, somehow, increased the entertainment value. I remember watching City play Spurs on a frozen pitch when Gerry Gow spent the entire match trying to kick Ossie Ardiles. He failed miserably as Ossie could keep his balance on the ice and Gerry couldn’t 

I remember that. Ricardo Villa was walking everywhere like he was on his tiptoes and every time anyone got near him he just gave them a nudge and they fell over. :) 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I remember that. Ricardo Villa was walking everywhere like he was on his tiptoes and every time anyone got near him he just gave them a nudge and they fell over. :) 

I may have got it wrong. Perhaps Gow spent the match chasing after Villa and not Ardiles. Anyone else remember the match? 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Saw the title and thought it might’ve been predicting a repeat of that excellent day away at Stoke when we had a snowball fight outside the ground with the naughty forty! 

Or the game at WBA when we were about the only game in the country still on . City wore revolutionary new dimpled boots designed for Arctic conditions. We slid to a 4-0 defeat .

48 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I wonder how on earth we managed before a bit of rainy and windy weather had to be called by a silly name ?

We used to just just have snow. Sometimes heavy snow storms, but now we have Snowmageddon! I’m glad it wasn’t called that when I was young

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I may have got it wrong. Perhaps Gow spent the match chasing after Villa and not Ardiles. Anyone else remember the match? 

Ricardo Villa was pretty well the man of the match, I think it was the first time he had ever seen ice except when he was once given the opportunity to have it with his glass of coke in a cafe in Buenos Aires when he was 12.

What I recall most about that match is that the turnstiles were opened about half an hour later than usual as the game was still in doubt an hour before kick off and that the half of the pitch towards the Covered End was rock hard as the sun hadn't got to it. Then Kendall, the Spurs keeper, took a catch above his head at the Covered End, slipped backwards and banged the back of his head on the hard ground knocking himself unconscious. Finished 0-0 but Villa was the star of the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Or the game at WBA when we were about the only game in the country still on . City wore revolutionary new dimpled boots designed for Arctic conditions. We slid to a 4-0 defeat .

I'm pretty sure it was WBA who wore the astro boots that day and kept their footing while City players slipped all over the place. I recall their decision to do that being lauded in the national press after as a masterstroke. 

Im sure the boots were not specifically designed for artic conditions, someone at WBA simply thought their astro turf boots would be better in the conditions than studded boots and they were totally right!

Edited by handsofclay

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

To be fair that game was a mockery. Needed John Curry upfront to make it a spectacle. As you say everybody on tiptoe struggling to stand upright.

Wasn't that also the game when, to keep warm, Spurs came into the Open End over the rear of the fence? It was a scene from 'Where Eagles Dare', they inching precariously along the top of the wall (fair drop in case you yung'uns never witnessed it,) then over the top of the spiky fence all whilst City did their best to propel them onto the roof of the old catering hut. Recall one Spurs fella being 'napalmed' with a freshly delivered Clarks to the mush.

• Haha 1