IGNORED

Blackpool away match day thread

4 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Defensively worse but offensively better.

I agree with this.

My concern this year is that many goals are the result of individual error, not necessarily the system.

Yes we have got it wrong some times, but so many goals are down to just poor individual performance. 

It’s clear as day to everyone we need to fix our defending, and while I like Max as a deputy I wonder is the more experienced Bentley needs a recall as soon as he’s recovered.

On the plus side, it’s not a massively urgent issue given we are 99% guaranteed survival. It may be a case of having to make a big sale in the summer and using half the money to help the books and the other half to sort defence or something. Rubbish day today but a young squad will have bad days.

A result on Wednesday with 3 or 4 goals and we’ll remember what we’re about. COYR.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Their manager has done a superb job. And they are missing a number of players and also lost Wintle who returned to Cardiff.

To be fair so are we, but no doubt that for a side with little money & small support he’s done excellently.

Only advantage they have is location in terms of loans from the big North West clubs, but still got to pick the right ones.

Edited by GrahamC
17 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Really disappointing today - much poorer performance than the last couple of games.

We've all said it so many times, but we've got to stop conceding so many soft goals.

Frustratingly, you don't need to play especially well to score 2 or 3 against us at the moment. I felt that was the case today - Blackpool didn't really impress me, but found themselves 2-0 up at HT. It would be such an improvement just to make the opposition actually earn the goals they score against us!

Blackpool are a pretty bang average side but they maximise what they have which is physicality and hard work. If you don’t match them then you won’t beat them with just technical ability. We are consistently inconsistent and concede soft goals too often 

Not sure if today was just one of those days or if too many were under performing 

13 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Just a quick message for NP - SORT THE DEFENCE OUT!!!!!! 

I can imagine the response...

"Hi Slippin Cider, Nige here.

Thanks for your message regarding sorting the defence out. Unfortunately the transfer window has actually just shut. However I don't have a quid to scratch my ass with anyway. 

May I suggest showing some patience, as I have previously stated that this is a 3 year process at the very minimum, and our financial situation may only extend the timeline. 

I wasn't blessed with the best squad at my disposal when taking the job, and can only work with what I have got. 

Cheers, Nige."

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3
5 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Thanks for your message regarding sorting the defence out. Unfortunately the transfer window has actually just shut. However I don't have a quid to scratch my ass with anyway. 

May I suggest showing some patience, as I have previously stated that this is a 3 year process at the very minimum, and our financial situation may only extend the timeline. 

I wasn't blessed with the best squad at my disposal when taking the job, and can only work with what I have got. 

Cheers, Nige."

So on with the zonal marking then that works so well . Wasn’t talking about the players at his disposal, we all know he has what he’s been left with but being that both he and his assistant were defenders you’d like to think that they’d know what they’re doing …:yawn:

Edited by Slippin cider
  • Like 1

The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.  Something has to change in that defensive organisation before we all lose the plot.  Soft goals, soft goals, and more soft goals, game after game it’s getting very very frustrating.  All very nice to play attacking football, but with Chris Martin as our target man and giving away at least two goals a game, it doesn’t take much of an IQ to work out that we ain’t going to get many + 3 points

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, richyy66 said:

Must be a dream for an opposing managers team talk. Get a corner or free kick and you will certainly score from one of them.

This.

Forget all the modern coaching guff. Just watch one game of ours with your own eyes and see what a defence shambles it is.

Pre match team talk. "right fellas get it in the mixer and we will score 2 or 3 for sure".

Needs a lot of work on the training ground.

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Cheers, Nige."

This is what he had to say…..https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-defeat-6610056

• Like 1

Just back from the game, gutted. Really thought we had turned a corner last week as we played PNE off the park for much of the game. Total contrast this week. Lost most of the 50/50s and Blackpool’s goals showed how if you just do the basics well, you carve us open. Defence was awful. Only players who put a shift in for me were HNM and Joe Williams. Hope we can keep him fit he is a proper footballer. 

ref gave us nothing, which to be fair, was all we deserved. Fans were superb. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Just watched the goals,is anyone seriously blaming Max for any of them?

I am. 2 of those 3 hes stuck on his line. Again. Why doesnt he try coming off it and you know, try and catch it? Even a punch could be attempted, but he apparently is unwilling to give it a try…. Hes in his mid 20s now, not a teenager anymore, hes finally got his chance, and we look worse than before

We were shocking from the moment they scored their first. 

What is it with us and shanked clearances and why Defensively are we always caught under the ball from crosses. 

Personally I think we have concentrated way to much on playing out from the back. While over looking dead balls. Perhaps we are taking the regulations regarding heading to seriously, but we can still practice jumping. :laugh:!

However let’s be frank we were awful everywhere! Not a single one of them except the subs deserves more than 5 on Ole’s report! 

We pussy footed around passing three yards back n forth when we should have been concentrating on getting it forward! It was like we had a bunch of pathetic kids not fancying a robust team and crappy conditions! Shameful! They are professional players with a huge away following again that have travelled a hell of a long way to be insulted by pathetic gutlessness of the highest order!!

Sorry if I sound angry, but I am! NTTDS said pathetic on the radio and yes it bloody was. 

• Like 1

Got to say i wish/half expected these words to be our managers not there's today...

'It's not often you can use the word 'comfortable' in the Championship but I've used that word. I can't remember when we've won a game and my heart wasn't racing at the end because we've only been 1-0 or 2-1 up but today we were deserved victors.

"We played really well, scored some good goals and the only blemish was the goal we conceded. It was a really good all-round performance from us.

"We're in good form and that showed today.

"Two goals in quick succession settled us down but we were playing with confidence before then. Then the third goal in any game is important and we got it."

I agree. We completely folded after the first and gave up after the second. They believed the game was lost and it showed.

At times they looked like a non league or pub team. Error after error which Blackpool couldn't believe their luck and waltzed around us. Sloppy, slow and not a bit of fight in them. Hard to stomach for the travelling fans.

I can take take a loss, I'm very experienced in that, but not the manner in which they surrendered so easy when they collectively decided they didn't fancy it today.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. We completely folded after the first and gave up after the second. They believed the game was lost and it showed.

At times they looked like a non league or pub team. Error after error which Blackpool couldn't believe their luck and waltzed around us. Sloppy, slow and not a bit of fight in them. Hard to stomach for the travelling fans.

I can take take a loss, I'm very experienced in that, but not the manner in which they surrendered so easy when they collectively decided they didn't fancy it today.

You watched the same game as me!!

I just don’t get what some people were  watching! It was gut crushingly pathetic for sixty minutes. 

57 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Got to say i wish/half expected these words to be our managers not there's today...

'It's not often you can use the word 'comfortable' in the Championship but I've used that word. I can't remember when we've won a game and my heart wasn't racing at the end because we've only been 1-0 or 2-1 up but today we were deserved victors.

"We played really well, scored some good goals and the only blemish was the goal we conceded. It was a really good all-round performance from us.

"We're in good form and that showed today.

"Two goals in quick succession settled us down but we were playing with confidence before then. Then the third goal in any game is important and we got it."

Yes reminds me of Rowetts comments last season saying it was the easiest match preparation he has had to make or something along those lines.

As a few have said, I can take losing but not when we gift it to the opposition so frequently. I guess its a reality check of where we are but its a shame that the two previous matches we only achieved one point. I will start to worry if we lose to Reading because I can't see where our next win will come from. 

I am surprised we aren't showing any signs of improvement defensively. I get we have constraints with injuries and financially but its still frustrating. 

• Like 1