IGNORED

Blackpool away match day thread

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Is it still the fault of parachute payments? 

Parachute payments make the division as a whole unbalanced.

Today was a bad performance. I'd worry if there was a run of such performances, but hopefully we'll return to being more positive next week.

Last season we were diabolical, this season we are mediocre and inconsistent.  The general trend is towards improvement, even though you get downward blips like today. 

• Like 5

Better defending and that's a draw (yes, a bit obvious), they were pretty average, but could be after 3 goals, but we continued to try and do the right things. Some good pass an movement, but poor decision making at times. I'd be more worried if we were utterly rubbish in every department, which we were not. Williams made a big difference, 3 at the back did not work today, should have changed it earlier. The big deal for me is the 3 points dropped in other recent games, games where we were better. 6/10 all round really, and that just isn't going to win you too many games with defending like that. Williams looks fit enough to start on Wednesday and will. Potentially tough(er) fixures after that, we really should have used this run of games to get a better position by now. It is what it is, to use a cliche.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

well yeah because it’s like playing with 10 men. 

We played better stuff when he wasn’t in the side. 

What absolute bollocks, like at Preston? Home to Cardiff?

Our problems entirely stem from the fact that defensively we are awful.

Whether that is solely down to the keeper & defence is certainly questionable but your statement is laughable.

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

That’s one to learn from and to be filed under:

1 totally outplayed by a direct, physical side

2 unable to defend crosses

3 too often out-muscled in 50/50 situations

4 poor decision-making when we had the ball or a half-chance

Only positives for me were:

1 we didn’t have anyone sent off, it felt likely and on another day Wells gets a red card 

2 Scott

3 the support from the traveling fans who endured a 800+ round trip, shocking weather and a poor team performance 

Sorry meant 400+ mile not 800+

I think Blackpool showed how far you can go with hard work and good organisation. 

It wasn't going to be easy today but i do believe we have the more talented squad. Another defensive shit show leaves any attacking prowess we have redundant.

It's a lower mid table finish for us as thats who we are right now. The contrast between this week and last was stark to say the least.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

That’s one to learn from and to be filed under:

1 totally outplayed by a direct, physical side

2 unable to defend crosses

3 too often out-muscled in 50/50 situations

4 poor decision-making when we had the ball or a half-chance

Only positives for me were:

1 we didn’t have anyone sent off, it felt likely and on another day Wells gets a red card 

2 Scott

3 the support from the traveling fans who endured a 800+ round trip, shocking weather and a poor team performance 

I agree with those points, but we weren't totally outplayed and that's the painful bit. Like the Fulham and Huddersfield games we conceded 3 (4 at Craven Cottage) goals across 15 mad minutes. 

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My previous post literally explained that to you. It’s only a barometer of their quality relative to other players from their country. Not relative to the opposition.

Remember that keeper Marinovic who had one shocking game for us? He played for New Zealand. So he’s an international. You want to tell me he’s got more quality than Bentley?

You are literally comparing Kalas, Dasilva and Klose to San Marino plumbers 

The point  I was making is with the calibre of player we have, we should not be conceding the the poor goals like we consistently are. Our defending is embarrassing….week after week 

I don’t believe we are world beaters but we should be doing better. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Is it worth scraping through this season only to face more of the same next season ?

We have always offered more entertainment in the third division

We won’t face ‘ more of the same next season ‘ because we will add to the quality we have, shed certain players who are blocking our progress and the teenagers who are holding their own in this tough, tough division will be more experienced and make less mistakes or get sold off to reinvest in the team.

Someone has stolen Ivor Guy’s glass !

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Under Holden we were going whole games without an attempt on goal, let alone a shot on target or a goal.

We are in a much, much better state than back then.

Very easy for fans to just simply look at results. We are WAY better than we were this time last year. We were totally rudderless.

1 bad result and performance does not change this.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Really disappointing today - much poorer performance than the last couple of games.

We've all said it so many times, but we've got to stop conceding so many soft goals.

Frustratingly, you don't need to play especially well to score 2 or 3 against us at the moment. I felt that was the case today - Blackpool didn't really impress me, but found themselves 2-0 up at HT. It would be such an improvement just to make the opposition actually earn the goals they score against us!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Really disappointing today - much poorer performance than the last couple of games.

We've all said it so many times, but we've got to stop conceding so many soft goals.

Frustratingly, you don't need to play especially well to score 2 or 3 against us at the moment. I felt that was the case today - Blackpool didn't really impress me, but found themselves 2-0 up at HT. It would be such an improvement just to make the opposition actually earn the goals they score against us!

Very well put . That last sentence sums up exactly how I felt . They weren’t a threat and was an even game and then we pressed self destruct button .

just don’t think anyone played very well today . 

Fans kept singing today despite the performance . Long journey back on a very sweary and annoyed coach … 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Is it worth scraping through this season only to face more of the same next season ?

We have always offered more entertainment in the third division

Ahh, good old division 3.

Our natural home. No board has ever really felt comfortable higher up ?

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My previous post literally explained that to you. It’s only a barometer of their quality relative to other players from their country. Not relative to the opposition.

Remember that keeper Marinovic who had one shocking game for us? He played for New Zealand. So he’s an international. You want to tell me he’s got more quality than Bentley?

Using San Marino and New Zealand as examples of international quality is not really consistent with the accepted interpretation of International quality is it really?   I wouldn't expect an international striker from Gibraltar to play in the Premier League, your being far too obtuse for me?  I will agree to disagree..........?

3 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

You can't keep conceding two or more goals a game and expect to get anything out if it.

What the hell they coach these players as a defensive unit is mind boggling. NP was a tough physical centre half so would have thought he would be the best placed to coach them. 

Spot on.

Not going to make excuses but we cannot seem to field a settled defence.

Baker’s situation is a sad one, losing Atkinson twice though spells of injury hasn’t helped & Tanner’s absence deprived us of a natural right back.

Having said that we should be doing far better defensively with what we still have available.

Covid notwithstanding Bentley must be in line for a recall & possibly Cundy is worth a look, he certainly is a first ball winning CB & Jamie McCombe showed you don’t have to be Bobby Moore to be effective at this level.

• Like 2