IGNORED

Kalas

formerly known as ivan

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t understand why people rate him so highly. At fault for the first two goals today. In no man’s land for the first and totally no effort to jump for the second. He has been a big part of a defensive problem for the last few seasons now.

Could some please share with me their reasons as to why they think he is any good as I am genuinely intrigued as to what I am missing.

Rumoured to be the top earner, not sure where the value for money is. First one out the door this summer for me.

I'm starting to doubt kalas he seems to be more and more at fault for these stupid goals we are conceding

I think he misses a leader alongside him to marshal the defense, he had that in Baker, its no coincidence that since Baker got injured we got wildly exposed at the back, 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm starting to doubt kalas he seems to be more and more at fault for these stupid goals we are conceding

I think he misses a leader alongside him to marshal the defense, he had that in Baker, its no coincidence that since Baker got injured we got wildly exposed at the back, 

What does £8m for a centre back get you if it’s not a leader though, this is the problem. He should be supporting the youngsters around him, leading by example, talking to them constantly. He is a full international for a decent country. Beat Holland and played in the quarter finals at Euro 2020. He should be the absolute shinning example at this club but I just don’t see it.

People on here saying he puts his body in the line. That’s an absolute minimum I would expect of him. How about even getting the pure basics of defending right? Don’t get lost in your own penalty box, challenge your man/area at corners. 

I saw more passion and commitment in Jamie McCombe, more leadership in Shaun Taylor and Louis Carey. This weren’t big time internationals but Kalas could well do with using these as role models while at this club.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

That’s what I meant to be fair, didn’t explain myself to well. Flint was a leader at the back and great at taking control and talking to his team mates 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Not sure about Flint being a leader (other than in a talismanic way). Great 1st ball defender & a fantastic goal threat for a CB, but he seemed to have to focus 100% on his own game. I don't recall him directing others at all.  Like Kalas, he was better alongside a true leader.

You said it all Tone….a talisman, not a leader.  Selfish defender, in a good way.  It’s why he was never captain, needed to concentrate on his game, needed his RB to play narrow, etc.

We had great years from him, but he wasn’t a leader.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think he will be sold in the summer.

I can't see him accepting half his current terms to a sign a new deal. I think clubs with more money would be willing to pay him more.

If this happens then it's very important that Atkinson has a strong finish to the season. Cundy takes his chance if it ever comes. And Klose copes okay with championship football having not had minutes for quite a while before signing.

Atkinson will be here next season anyway. So if Klose and Cundy impress then i would offer them new contracts, sell Kalas, and then see if Baker stays on. If not then we'd just need to replace him. Vyner as 5th choice.

I rate Kalas but surely we don't keep him here to let go for nothing the following summer.

Well summed up.  I’d like him to sign a new deal, but I also think we solve a lot of financial issues by selling him.    It would be with a heavy heart, but I’ve seen enough of Atkinson to see he’s good enough for this level.

What do you reckon £4-5m for Kalas in the summer, that’s £2m in amortisation saved plus £1.25m wages.  That’s 3 to 4 players worth.  I’d rather lose Kalas to help recruitment than Semenyo, Massengo or Scott.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with all those points. I was disappointed in Klose, though only 2nd game..I had read he isn't the most physical for his size. 

Kalas I think offers some good things wide of the back 3 with his pace one on one. But yep central is where he is best.

He’s more culture than say a Flint, but the video stuff I watched shows he can be physical when he needs, but he’s more about intercepting and winning aerially.  Yeah, he didn’t do that well yesterday, but I think there were reasons for that.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t understand why people rate him so highly. At fault for the first two goals today. In no man’s land for the first and totally no effort to jump for the second. He has been a big part of a defensive problem for the last few seasons now.

Could some please share with me their reasons as to why they think he is any good as I am genuinely intrigued as to what I am missing.

Rumoured to be the top earner, not sure where the value for money is. First one out the door this summer for me.

To be fair he isn't worth the fee we payed for him that's for sure which was pretty excessive in my eyes and and as a club should'nt of payed out such a figure. He is a solid player,Me personally I'm not a fan and I think we could of spent the money more wisely. Obviously others will have there opinion.I think if we didn't pay the fee we did and at a lower price it would of been better value for money.

Edited by Street red

21 minutes ago, Street red said:

To be fair he isn't worth the fee we payed for him that's for sure which was pretty excessive in my eyes and and as a club should'nt of payed out such a figure. He is a solid player,Me personally I'm not a fan and I think we could of spent the money more wisely. Obviously others will have there opinion.I think if we didn't pay the fee we did and at a lower price it would of been better value for money.

I’m caught between two stools here, that a) we were in an inflationary market b) Chelsea upped the price a bit because we got Dasilva relatively cheaply.

He has still been pretty good for us overall, but 2019’s prices look bad in today’s market...and that’s what makes the decision difficult, on both sides, Tomas and the club.

Part of me wants him to stay, part of me thinks we could do good things with the money he’d generate.  Over to you Nige, Richard and Tomas.

• Like 3

£4-5m would be very tempting if offered, especially with his contract situation if Pearson can't convince him to extend on a reduced deal.

That said I'm currently looking at it in terms of windows - who (or where) do we need to replace in the first, second, third, and so on. I don't think Kalas is someone who needs to be replaced this summer, he's more than good enough quality wise for us. I guess then it comes down to quality vs cost, which is where the reduced deal comes in.

I get we need to improve at the back but don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and if we're replacing Bentley too then I'm not sure an almost entirely new back 4 is the way to go.

He's provably good enough for the top of the Championship - what is it, two promotions and a play off final loss? We don't have too many we can say that about! He's a great age for a CB and could well improve. Hold and build around him would probably be my choice.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

I'm a big fan of Kalas, I think he's a very good player at this level. In terms of his athleticism and his natural instinct and will to defend, I don't think you'd find many better Centre Backs in the Championship (that's not to say he's one of the best CB's in the championship overall). He's also decent with the ball at his feet, probably slightly more so than he gets credit for. Can't question his effort and commitment over the last few of seasons either - although he's not a leader, I do think he leads by example. Of course he has weaknesses too, but he's more than good enough for where we are.

Kalas did have a bad day against Blackpool, but I'd say he's been one of our more consistent players this season and has saved us many times in his Bristol City career. He's built up enough credit to be able to "get away with one" IMO. 

As others have pointed out, the big question mark is around value for money. The £8m fee seems huge in retrospect, though in fairness transfer fees were ridiculously high at that time (e.g. that summer, Bielik went to Derby for £9m, Webster to Brighton and Mings to Villa both for £20m+). Having said that, I do think we overpaid slightly for Kalas.

Is Kalas worth £25k pw to us? Perhaps not. And even if he is, can we afford that at the moment anyway? I think the finances dictate this one for us; In summer we'll either need to give him a new contract (on a lower wage), or sell (and probably spend a portion of the fee on a replacement). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m caught between two stools here, that a) we were in an inflationary market b) Chelsea upped the price a bit because we got Dasilva relatively cheaply.

He has still been pretty good for us overall, but 2019’s prices look bad in today’s market...and that’s what makes the decision difficult, on both sides, Tomas and the club.

Part of me wants him to stay, part of me thinks we could do good things with the money he’d generate.  Over to you Nige, Richard and Tomas.

I agree with your last paragraph. But something keeps nagging me in that he is a quality international centre back who we should treasure, yet his lack of leadership is a significant factor in the way that we are unable to clear crosses from our six yard area.

Plus the fact that neither keeper appears comfortable in coming even to the edge of that six yard line. Additionally we have a midfield that are now seeming better at creating attacking moves than providing shelter for our back line.

I hope Pearson has a clear vision of who and what he needs to solve it because I don't have a clue.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 01:43, Red white and red said:

Really? Easily our best defender. Puts his body on the line every game. Rarely gets outmuscled. He’s been immense for the majority of the games this season. Yeah he may have been at fault today, but that doesn’t make him shite. Top earner or not. 

Whilst I don’t disagree that he is our best defender, he really doesn’t have much competition currently for this accolade. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

12 hours ago, IAmNick said:

£4-5m would be very tempting if offered, especially with his contract situation if Pearson can't convince him to extend on a reduced deal.

That said I'm currently looking at it in terms of windows - who (or where) do we need to replace in the first, second, third, and so on. I don't think Kalas is someone who needs to be replaced this summer, he's more than good enough quality wise for us. I guess then it comes down to quality vs cost, which is where the reduced deal comes in.

I get we need to improve at the back but don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and if we're replacing Bentley too then I'm not sure an almost entirely new back 4 is the way to go.

He's provably good enough for the top of the Championship - what is it, two promotions and a play off final loss? We don't have too many we can say that about! He's a great age for a CB and could well improve. Hold and build around him would probably be my choice.

Agree with much of this and am torn between keeping and trying to generate funds.

My feeling is that at least one of our saleable assets will be gone this summer together with Wells and Palmer (hopefully - value for every £)

In terms of the rebuild and 3 year plan I would prefer to keep Massengo, Scott and Semenyo, although I’m getting slightly anxious that we haven’t got Massengo to sign a new contract. I’m guessing his agent might be out there testing the market. We won’t let contracts run down so he will be off in the summer in that case. Must be attracting attention from much higher up considering his pedigree.

I also think we should renew Semenyo on better terms and look to do the same with Scott next season.

In an ideal world I would like to keep Kalas and especially the younger players, but it is not hard to see a set of circumstances where at least one of them is off. 
Although unfortunate, this might accelerate the rebuild but we are relying on recruitment being on point if this is going to take us forwards.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'm a big fan of Kalas, I think he's a very good player at this level. In terms of his athleticism and his natural instinct and will to defend, I don't think you'd find many better Centre Backs in the Championship (that's not to say he's one of the best CB's in the championship overall). He's also decent with the ball at his feet, probably slightly more so than he gets credit for. Can't question his effort and commitment over the last few of seasons either - although he's not a leader, I do think he leads by example. Of course he has weaknesses too, but he's more than good enough for where we are.

Kalas did have a bad day against Blackpool, but I'd say he's been one of our more consistent players this season and has saved us many times in his Bristol City career. He's built up enough credit to be able to "get away with one" IMO. 

As others have pointed out, the big question mark is around value for money. The £8m fee seems huge in retrospect, though in fairness transfer fees were ridiculously high at that time (e.g. that summer, Bielik went to Derby for £9m, Webster to Brighton and Mings to Villa both for £20m+). Having said that, I do think we overpaid slightly for Kalas.

Is Kalas worth £25k pw to us? Perhaps not. And even if he is, can we afford that at the moment anyway? I think the finances dictate this one for us; In summer we'll either need to give him a new contract (on a lower wage), or sell (and probably spend a portion of the fee on a replacement). 

No chance