IGNORED

FBC - Podcast (Blackpool)

Davefevs

6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It’s just a point of view . They are entitled to it. For me it’s by far the worst podcast of the many that get created . It’s never worth listening to. 

Thank you for your support!!

I take it you didn't listen to the very informative 1-2-1 I did with Rob Newman this week ? Why is it the worst of the many [realistically its just us, OSIB & 3 Peaps] ? Is it mainly because of Ian  and his opinions or do you think we are all shit?

Happy to have new contributors just DM me if you want to come on, indeed, you can call Ian to account - could be fun!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pezo said:

You did agree with him though didn't you? Straight after that comment you said "we tell it as it is!". The problem is that that isn't telling it as it is that's just an opinion based on a knee jerk reaction.

Yes, I did say that but that is different to saying "I agree with you 100%".

Ian is bombastic and opinionated but if he was so really full of shit why does Geoff 20man give him airtime after every game? I'd like to know please

I think Ian should be our manager. When we play well he is always quick to point out he said weeks before how we should be playing and when we are crap he always knows what we are doing wrong. So it’s obvious, he is the answer to all our problems. Can’t anybody else see it?!!

In Ian’s defence he’s passionate about City, frustrated like I imagine 90% of us are. My problem with the bloke in the podcast is that he just seems to disregard other peoples opinions and likes the sound of his own voice. This is where he lets himself down. He’s got some good points to make at times, obviously knows a bit of football, but his approach at times is so contradictory. I quite like people who are a bit opinionated and stir it up, either with a bit of humour or some real thinking behind their arguments, but at times he just comes over just a bit David Brent.

Ha! Near the beginning of the season I was moaning to my son at a game after some atrocious play by City. Bloke in front told me to stop moaning and go home if I didn’t like it. Whereby I told him where to get off, etc, etc. On further reflection I laughed, realised I was moaning too much, and the other guy laughed because we both realised we are just both passionate about the club, now we chat at most games and generally can have a good constructive chat about the game. 

I still doff my cap at all those that do these podcasts who give their time and give most of us some good City related entertainment - even if I don’t agree with their opinions all the time.

For me, I’d give a shout out to Rob (Ole on here?) who’s opinions I think always seems pretty well balanced, has a pretty dry sense of humour, can come out with some contentious stuff but can at least be a bit self deprecating when he’s wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Ian expressed a view born out of frustration. We are all frustrated at times, but yesterday There were three main problems. 

1 We don’t have a side capable of playing difficult conditions

2 We don’t have a side that can defend either from the front or can compete consistently in the air. 

3 We are dreadful if we concede gutless almost and it is the entire team who look dreadful. 

Yesterday this led to a shameful sixty minutes of white flag waving by all of them. 

On another note, we are where we are is reference to the fact we haven’t got players that are available to play for 90 minutes or at all in some cases to change much. 

As for defending. We are dreadful throughout the team it’s not JUST our defenders. Blackpool went through our midfield like it didn’t exist so many times it was nauseating. Nevertheless the defense have to do the basics and not be soft. 

As for the managers position, he is trying to create something from a squad that is mediocre and play youth which is what he’s been employed to do. It’s clear there will be no capital investment in the team. SL will not cover anything except cash flow. So any talk of NP going is just that!

Edit: The numbers game 352 451 442 any row of numbers adding up to ten you like. But we didn’t concede any goals from anything to do with the bingo calls

iIt was basic stuff. Shanking balls, not winning in the air and letting a forward go inside on his left foot. Nothing to do with formation. Everything to with basic defending. Yesterday was compounded by the fact they were going through the middle of our midfield like it was manned by kids. Guess what it was. Massengo and Scott are kids that may get a foot in and look good going forward but yesterday were brushed aside at times. 

Whether we/anyone like it or not one of out kids will need to be sold at some point soon. Personally I would prefer it was Massengo, but we won’t get the choice. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Oléis the one on OSIB I most resonate with from his pure football views.

And I love his rants too, some real comedy beneath the football knowledge.

@ray savinoi agree with what you say about Ian. I’ve had some intense debates with him on Twitter and on FBC. I’ve never resorted to being rude to him, although he had been rude back.

Ive said to @headhuntermany times you need a balance of contribution styles, but you also need balance in their airtime too. It would be boring if you had 3 people like me on there for example.

I don’t have the time to do the Saturday pods any more, but appreciate Dave inviting me on in the past and the occasional ones I do now from time to time.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Because no one else calls in?

Why don't they? Lack of respect for the show, presenters?

Have you ever been on? Why not come on as a guest on our pod next Sunday after the Swansea game - Neil Sutton has shown how easy it is to integrate and even perfected the NP style of a mocking chuckle he displays to reflect disdain to some of Ian's comments!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Ian is bombastic and opinionated but if he was so really full of shit why does Geoff 20man give him airtime after every game? I'd like to know please

Its not too much of a jump though, "we say it as it is", "that's how I see it", "I agree with you 100%" basically all mean the same thing it's just the context that changes.

Geoff gives him some time, Ian talks some sense and is bearable in such a short format. You're in long format which should give you the ability to challenge some of his opinions but (and please take this as constructive criticism) I think you're wrapped up in your own opinion and when that aligns to Ian's you lack the ability to think about the other opinions.

Don't get me wrong I quiet like Ian (and you), I find him funny and his opinions are interesting to me but when it's so unbalanced and so unchallenged I can see why people think it's a negative podcast.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Why don't they? Lack of respect for the show, presenters?

Have you ever been on? Why not come on as a guest on our pod next Sunday after the Swansea game - Neil Sutton has shown how easy it is to integrate and even perfected the NP style of a mocking chuckle he displays to reflect disdain to some of Ian's comments!!!

Dave I listen to FBC all the time and really enjoy it including Ian's views. But Radio Bristol is not a barometer of opinion and the fact Ian is on every week regardless of whether he has been to a game I don't think should be a positive qualification.

I have a simple view that none of us have the first clue about football if we did we'd be working in the game. So we don't need to take ourselves so seriously and asking for resignations after an improving side is totally off it at Blackpool is too simplistic.

I did used to ring Geoff after away games when I was a teenager but a mate let off a fire extinguisher in my face when I was on air somewhere outside Cambridge ground and never done it since. It sounds like they are happy ringing Madeira for hot takes.

• Like 3

It’s a shame as it was a really good podcast and enjoyed listening on my morning dog walk. Highlights were the interviews over Christmas with Honor, Owers and Latham. 

it’s become all a bit too predictable now with Ian’s nonsense talk and his general rudeness to everyone else he comes across as an angry old man. Back to OSIB for me.

• Like 1

Come on.

Did nobody else enjoy the comic element of it?

When Ian made that comment without any nuisance or irony or any attempt of illicit a response among listeners, I just burst our laughing.

I know he can be very rude but does nobody else take it with a pinch of salt?

I quite enjoy the podcast

• Like 1

I think you can sum up Ian Gay like this.

I have two children, 13 and 10. When Ian comes on Radio Bristol, they immediately ask “what’s he going to complain about today” and at times “does he think he should manage us”. I haven’t influenced this, they have drawn their own conclusions.

When you’re that much of a parody that primary school children think you’re an arse, you probably are an arse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

31 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

It’s a shame as it was a really good podcast and enjoyed listening on my morning dog walk. Highlights were the interviews over Christmas with Honor, Owers and Latham. 

it’s become all a bit too predictable now with Ian’s nonsense talk and his general rudeness to everyone else he comes across as an angry old man. Back to OSIB for me.

Sorry to have lost you. 

If you enjoyed Honor, Owers & Latham over Christmas give this week's special with Rob Newman a listen of you enjoy a spot of nostalgia: 

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/in-conversation-with-rob-newman/

I said myself yesterday that the pod content is becoming predictable akin to NP's predictable post match comments of we are where we are in the aftermath of another defeat

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Come on.

Did nobody else enjoy the comic element of it?

When Ian made that comment without any nuisance or irony or any attempt of illicit a response among listeners, I just burst our laughing.

I know he can be very rude but does nobody else take it with a pinch of salt?

I quite enjoy the podcast

Yeah. I do. The bloke is passionate, which is great, says what he thinks and often right/occasionally plain wrong. But that’s the point. Discussion. 

I had some time off from FBC because there were a couple of really depressing ones. But this weeks I listened until the RRR song at the end so it kept my attention!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

I'm sure you're not the only one who'd like to know that. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Sorry to have lost you. 

If you enjoyed Honor, Owers & Latham over Christmas give this week's special with Rob Newman a listen of you enjoy a spot of nostalgia: 

I said myself yesterday that the pod content is becoming predictable akin to NP's predictable post match comments of we are where we are in the aftermath of another defeat

The Rob Newman podcast was really interesting.

We’ll worth a listen 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Sorry to have lost you. 

@headhunteryou have developed a good product, the challenge is how do you maintain that product. I personally would like to hear more of your views. I do appreciate its sometimes difficult balancing being host and panelist at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Sorry to have lost you. 

@headhunter I much appreciate the effort you put into these podcasts, as indeed all the. other podcasts give a good outlet for a variety of opinions for us fans. Indeed, the ones such as yours with ex City personnel, the OSIB Cider with... and thre 3peaps Robins Reunited are excellent and I’ve often felt better than some of the local main stream interviews we hear. The interviewees seem a bit more relaxed and open up a bit more. Listen you’re doing a good job fella and long may you and all the other podcasts continue. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Sort of proves my first post, doesn’t it?

Unable to avoid a snarky remark, what do you expect him to say?

I think he is an unusually erudite manager who knows things should be better, has a plan to hopefully get there but fully understands the restrictions he’s working under.

• Like 2

I enjoy the podcast, though I do think it is generally a group of people with the same opinions and can be quite negative.

Unfortunately Ian for me needs controlling as he is quick to interrupt and talk over others, which I imagine puts off other potential contributors.

I don't agree with a lot of what he says but still value his opinion. Just needs better control and more respect if people are offering differing opinions, which is needed to keep it fresh. 

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I appreciate the time put into the producing the podcast but it can be a hard listen at times. City could win the Champions League and they'd still be finding something to moan about. 

I know Chelsea season ticket holders who are mostly miserable, with years of trophy success (just one example). Some are never happy.

• Like 1