IGNORED

Kane Wilson — Confirmed

tin

RB/RWB, 21 years old, came through the ranks at West Brom, now at Forest Green Rovers and has 11 assists and two goals having played all 28 of their League Two games so far this season.

I was at the New Lawn yesterday and watched him get both assists in their 2-0 win over Newport, who were fourth-placed before yesterday. I was very impressed, even if that is the first time I’ve seen him. 

I won’t go into his strengths/weaknesses, coincidentally Sky Sports summed them up nicely last week, but I do think he’d fit our system and handle the step up to this level. I hope he’s on our radar. 

@Davefevshave you got any stats for him? 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Indeed I was there Dave. 
Tin - see above thread. 

Sorry, mate. I didn’t see your post on that thread but yeah, his burst for the first goal was impressive. He looked exactly the sort who’d fit a 3-5-2 as we’re playing now or providing the width in Nige’s preferred 4-3-3. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Sorry, mate. I didn’t see your post on that thread but yeah, his burst for the first goal was impressive. He looked exactly the sort who’d fit a 3-5-2 as we’re playing now or providing the width in Nige’s preferred 4-3-3. 

Where were you in the ground? 
I decided to stand in the terrace next to the Newport fans - there was an incredibly embarrassing group of them, dressed like tramps, who spent all game shouting ‘wan***” and “paedo” at a group of +80 year old FGR fans. Hilariously embarrassing. 

But yes, Wilson was good. Two fantastic assists. 
Ebou Adams was very good too. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I decided to stand in the terrace next to the Newport fans - there was an incredibly embarrassing group of them, dressed like tramps, who spent all game shouting ‘wan***” and “paedo” at a group of +80 year old FGR fans. Hilariously embarrassing. 

I was in the main stand, so Wilson got both assists on the side I was sat. I was impressed with FGR, and can certainly see why they’re miles clear at the top.

Newport’s a shit hole full of idiots like that, sadly I’d expect nothing less. 

19 hours ago, Stockwood gate said:

I work with Kane’s dad I will ask him to sign for us ?

Tell him it’s make sense on every level. 
No recognised right back at the club so guaranteed playing time. 
No need to move house. 
Plenty of vegan deli’s in Bristol, so won’t miss the Forest Green diet. 
✅

On 07/02/2022 at 15:45, JonDolman said:

From what I've seen O'Connell certainly likes the ball at his feet and sometimes moving up into midfield. Looks a bit slow though.

A real talker and organiser. And looks good in the air.

I'm sure he will be heading up to at least league one in the summer.

Yep. Not far wrong with that summary Jon. 
Half time up here. O’Connell has been decent so far. Nothing outstanding, just doing exactly what you’d expect of your central CB. Made a few decent clearances, brave on one where he had to collide with the post. Decent enough on the ball, quite composed, but the medium to long range passing isn’t very accurate. 
He’s been bullied by Jamille Matt a couple of times, but that happens to most League 2 CB’s weekly! 

He’s a decent size, but does appear to lack a bit of pace.  Here he is. Number 6. 

6C586BDC-BA02-46BB-8E27-22EDCAD61836.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

For Rochdale, Conor Grant had been quite tidy and a good threat. Playing wide right of a front 3. 
Kane Wilson pretty quiet so far, just a couple of decent crosses in from him. 

And right on queue, Grant just created the opening goal with a ball in behind and wide for a cut back. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yep. Not far wrong with that summary Jon. 
Half time up here. O’Connell has been decent so far. Nothing outstanding, just doing exactly what you’d expect of your central CB. Made a few decent clearances, brave on one where he had to collide with the post. Decent enough on the ball, quite composed, but the medium to long range passing isn’t very accurate. 
He’s been bullied by Jamille Matt a couple of times, but that happens to most League 2 CB’s weekly! 

He’s a decent size, but does appear to lack a bit of pace.  Here he is. Number 6. 

6C586BDC-BA02-46BB-8E27-22EDCAD61836.jpeg

The data reflected that too re O’Connell.

Wilson is gonna be in demand isn’t he?

8 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Whatever you do @Harry with this possible scouting role at the club, please make sure the club go all out and snap up these gems before others. Seems like we just wait around for the scraps. Let’s get them before they hit the upward curve that is noticeable to others.

To be fair, getting someone who is ‘off the radar’ so to speak is virtually impossible nowadays, what with so much focus from so many teams on finding the ‘next one’, plus so much focus on stats out there means that hardly anyone is ever ‘undiscovered’. 
All we can do is make sure we have enough ‘eyes on’ to be able to firm up opinion, but after that it’s all down to whether the club a) are prepared to take a gamble, b) the player fits our style and c) if they can afford it. 
We’ll certainly keep trying though 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You say about Ebou Adams. It surprises me clubs have not come in for him. Only just turned 26. A couple of years ago I would not have expected him to stay at that level as long as he has.

Yes, I do like Ebou. He’s a very important piece in FGR’s success. 
He can sometimes be a little hit and miss though - specifically concentration/focus-wise. 
For example, last night, he was hardly in the game for the first 30 minutes, but when he did get into the game he started trying things which he really shouldn’t have tried - it was almost a complacency at times. 
But I do like him. FGR will no doubt be in League 1 next season, and if he stays it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on at that level. I think L1 is probably his ceiling. 

Edited by Harry

@harry you have the potential to shape the clubs on-field success by helping get the recruitment right. Pushing the club to sign players like matt jay, kane wilson etc before they get beyond our affordability could be huge not only to improve our playing squad, but for future financial gain having improved said players. We need to be more pro-active in this field similar to Brentford. Personally feel like the club are always just sitting on their hands whilst others profit.

Take Scott Twine. Could have at one stage signed him on a free and he was a gamble we should have been all over but now we probably couldn’t afford him despite him being at a lower level

• Like 1

@BLRedyou can’t “push” the club to sign anyone.  All people like Harry can do is when they identify a player (or are asked to look at a player), is to do their due diligence and present their findings against the brief provided. Whether the likes of Harry are positioned to provide a recommendation or not, I don’t know.  It depends on the dynamics of the relationship between Nigel Pearson, the recruitment team and Harry.  Harry might have no relationship with Nige, it might wholly be into Sean Gilhespy’s team???  It could just be a simple “handoff” of a player to the recruitment team to take further, e.g. undertake more scouting and analysis.

You are absolutely right though, we need to have enough “bandwidth” to ensure we cover the leagues beneath the Championship, and Scotland and Ireland too.  As per the Rob Newman interview for FBC pod, we need to have intell on everyone…and as early as possible.  I’d be really interested where George Tanner was sourced from?  Mark Ashton decimated the scouting set up for obvious reasons!!!

Scott Twine is an interesting example. I like him too. But no Championship clubs took the plunge either, it wasn’t just City.  £300k plus 20% sell-on was agreed at the tribunal (via an initial £150k and then another £150k next month).  For City that would need to be weighed up against his place in the pecking order against City’s other players, and pathway too.

Were you BOSRed previously?

Harry & co had to persuade SO'D that Flint was worth buying - good luck getting Big Nige in a headlock and twisting his arm about anything though!

Don't see why we'd have been interested in Twine when we knew Scott and Benarous were coming through - can't see Twine playing wing back like Scott has this season. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 06/02/2022 at 14:55, Harry said:

He did well at Afcon as well 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Harry & co had to persuade SO'D that Flint was worth buying - good luck getting Big Nige in a headlock and twisting his arm about anything though!

Don't see why we'd have been interested in Twine when we knew Scott and Benarous were coming through - can't see Twine playing wing back like Scott has this season. 

I don’t think SOD didn’t think Flint was a good player or was worth signing, it was more how much of his small budget it would take up.

4 minutes ago, Peter Coles said:

Didn't SOD say he wasn't worth the transfer fee?

I think the context was as per my post…that it took up more if his budget than he wanted it too.  So yes you could take it as literal as your comment above, it was more in the context of what it left him with…and meant he couldn’t bring in others as a result.

Wasnt the best communicator was he our SOD! ?

• Like 1