IGNORED

Kane Wilson — Confirmed

tin

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This doesn’t bother me at all. 
I’d rather have 2 young bucks fighting it out for the position than some has-been (Simpson), never-was-been (Vyner) or baked-bean (Dasilva) like we had this season. 
If we plan on keeping the wing back role, you need two energetic players to rotate, as it ought to be the position which does the most running. 
Let the 2 young prospects battle it out, but they’ll both get plenty of minutes anyway. 

So would I, but I guess I’m still a bit surprised.

But you’re right, whether it’s 3412 or 4312 (433) WB is a high intensity position.  Who knows, we might even get a cup run this season rather than a 48 gamer.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

This doesn’t bother me at all. 
I’d rather have 2 young bucks fighting it out for the position than some has-been (Simpson), never-was-been (Vyner) or baked-bean (Dasilva) like we had this season. 
If we plan on keeping the wing back role, you need two energetic players to rotate, as it ought to be the position which does the most running. 
Let the 2 young prospects battle it out, but they’ll both get plenty of minutes anyway. 

Perfectly true. How the tactical side of the game has developed.

In my young days, the wingers hugged the touchline and all the hard work was done by half backs and inside forwards. 4-4-2 changed that but now the wing-backs in teams like Man City and Liverpool see so much of the ball that they have to have the athletic strengths of a 100 metre sprinter and the stamina of a long distance runner for the whole game

Those with both abilities end up at top clubs and at our level it will need two pairs for right and left side to share the loads in every game.

If these type of signings become a reality, I see us with a central back three, a couple of midfielders that are there to protect and destroy and hopefully Alex Scott and Weimann to join the wing-backs in creating lightening attacks. 

We could be in for a very interesting season. The word "interesting" could come to mean "Superb"!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

It sounds like Forest are interested, but their stance gives us huge leverage in negotiations. 

If they gain promotion, it appears they would move on to different targets instead. Surely that won't give Wilson much confidence in moving there. 

We can offer Wilson regular games now, whilst also being our right back/wing back for years to come. 

FWIW, our situation wouldn't be too dissimilar to that of Middlesbrough's this season. At the start of the season they had Djed Spence and Isaiah Jones battling for the right wing back position. Jones claimed the position, which he looks set to return for years to come, and Middlesbrough look set for a huge transfer fee from selling Spence. Sometimes youth is the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It sounds like Forest are interested, but their stance gives us huge leverage in negotiations. 

If they gain promotion, it appears they would move on to different targets instead. Surely that won't give Wilson much confidence in moving there. 

We can offer Wilson regular games now, whilst also being our right back/wing back for years to come. 

FWIW, our situation wouldn't be too dissimilar to that of Middlesbrough's this season. At the start of the season they had Djed Spence and Isaiah Jones battling for the right wing back position. Jones claimed the position, which he looks set to return for years to come, and Middlesbrough look set for a huge transfer fee from selling Spence. Sometimes youth is the way to go. 

Coming to us as you say would be with a pretty decent “guarantee” of minutes.

But I suspect other Champ club will be interested and able to say the same.  I don’t expect this one to gain much traction until the playoffs are over.  We’ve spoken to the guy, he’s heard what we’ve had to say, we don’t be the only ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Coming to us as you say would be with a pretty decent “guarantee” of minutes.

But I suspect other Champ club will be interested and able to say the same.  I don’t expect this one to gain much traction until the playoffs are over.  We’ve spoken to the guy, he’s heard what we’ve had to say, we don’t be the only ones.

The advantage we have is that he doesn’t have to relocate. Apparently he is settled where he lives and that may be a significant element in his decision?

48 minutes ago, INCRED said:

The advantage we have is that he doesn’t have to relocate. Apparently he is settled where he lives and that may be a significant element in his decision?

A few grand a week will usually sway a persons decision as to where he likes living. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well we haven't a cat in hell's chance if Forest are interested. And for all we know, he might be a Birmingham fan. 

So let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

If Forest go up they will have bigger fish to fry.

Spence, who Warnock inexplicably loaned to them, would definitely be a live target to make a permanent move if they’re a Prem club.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

If Forest go up they will have bigger fish to fry.

Spence, who Warnock inexplicably loaned to them, would definitely be a live target to make a permanent move if they’re a Prem club.

It's been reported that Boro want £17m for him and that his preference is to join Forest if they are promoted despite interest from bigger clubs.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Do you really consider Watford to be a bigger club than us? More successful in recent years, yes, but bigger?

(Appreciate they're in a far better position to sign players than us regardless of how big/small they are, so just arguing on a technicality here really)

Yes. Bigger. Certainly a better proposition over the last 20/30 years. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

They are , yet another, club of a similar size to us who  have mightily overachieved. 
They show what  can be achieved even without a stadium of 50,000 fans on match day. I would bite your hand off for even half their success since the days of Graham Taylor. 
It’s mainly down to ruthless ambition and a little luck. 

• Flames 2

2 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Yeah, wouldn't disagree that they've been a more successful club than us in recent years. I still don't think they're really a "bigger" club than us, though I seem to be in a minority with that! Genuinely surprised that so many people think otherwise though - I didn't think my initial statement was particularly controversial! ?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

They are , yet another, club of a similar size to us who  have mightily overachieved. 
They show what  can be achieved even without a stadium of 50,000 fans on match day. I would bite your hand off for even half their success since the days of Graham Taylor. 
It’s mainly down to ruthless ambition and a little luck. 

This is more in line with my thinking. Frustrating that so many clubs fall into that category, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yeah, wouldn't disagree that they've been a more successful club than us in recent years. I still don't think they're really a "bigger" club than us, though I seem to be in a minority with that! Genuinely surprised that so many people think otherwise though - I didn't think my initial statement was particularly controversial! ?

This is more in line with my thinking. Frustrating that so many clubs fall into that category, unfortunately.

I’m kind of with you, but I view Watford as a just another club who was a former peer of ours but have left us in their wake over the last 20 *cough cough SL* years. 

Anyway, back to Kane Wilson. Sign him up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Outside of Bristol I don’t think we are recognised. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

True. They've had Elton John, and we've had Jilted John.

(Sorry, but I've been up since 6am and that's the best my brain can manage)

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Flames 1

On 15/05/2022 at 09:18, Curr Avon said:

True. They've had Elton John, and we've had Jilted John.

(Sorry, but I've been up since 6am and that's the best my brain can manage)

They had Graham Taylor, we had Ryan Taylor.

They had Luther Blissett, we had Bas Missit.

They had John Barnes, we had Carol Barnes. (at least we might as well have done, surely she'd have been better than Gus Caesar) :whistle2:

Etc... yep, just a bit bigger than us, and for a very long time.