IGNORED

The late great John Atyeo

KevP

2 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I consider it a privilege and a pleasure to have seen the great man play.

A real privilege to have seen his first and last games and a few hundred in between.

To have travelled on trains with the team, when he was always willing to talk with us, never refusing autographs for anyone. And after he had retired, always approachable before and after matches in the car park.

A Legend is not enough to describe him. On a train back from Cardiff after a 1-0 win, a current England player, he admitted in front if his teammates that he had a stinker in the previous home game when we lost 1-4 to Sheffield United. That's how big a character he was.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

I remember that the only occasion when I played truant from school was when Big John was selected to play for England.  It was a mid-week game at Wembley . ,,,can't remember who were the opponents.. it was an afternoon kick-off  and I went home to watch the match on TV.  Can't remember if I received a detention the next day but I wasn't alone in deciding to take the afternoon off from school.   Happy memories of "the legend".

• Like 4

His name and legacy lives on amongst Bristol City fans. Obviously never watched him play. But remember the old man saying to me as a kid , that’s John Atyeo stood there. Under the Bristol City sign. Stood outside the main entrance to the Grandstand/ Enclosure. Didn’t realise as a kid his importance to our club 

Edited by Red Army 75

31 minutes ago, marmite said:

Would have had many more England caps had he played for a top league club. Great player, great memories. 

He was a part timer until 1958 and only went full time from then until 1963.

Scored 5 in 6 internationals and then got dropped for the World Cup (despite scoring the goal that got England to the finals) because the selectors (as it was then, men in suits) decided England couldn't be represented on the world stage by a part timer.

He turned down the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, and AC Milan in his time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

His biography is a great read.

Incredible that he was also a Maths teacher & that he taught Rob Newman.

I don’t want to stereotype all footballers because there are some smart ones but another world to think an England player would go on to teach maths after packing up playing now.

• Like 1

He often arrived by train at Temple Meads and walked to the Gate. On one occasion my father gave him a lift as we were driving along the Cut - he was very outgoing and discussed his team-mates openly as well. Great man, I must have watched him play many many times over the years.

• Thanks 2

To see him in his glory days was a real privilege.  I feel particularly fortunate 

In his case it is true to say we will never see his like again.  My grandfather who saw almost all his home games and also saw Wedlock play said Big John was the greater footballer of the two.

Gentleman John, those who saw you play will never cease to miss you.  Ashton Gate has never seemed the same to many of us since you stopped playing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

To see him in his glory days was a real privilege.  I feel particularly fortunate 

In his case it is true to say we will never see his like again.  My grandfather who saw almost all his home games and also saw Wedlock play said Big John was the greater footballer of the two.

Gentleman John, those who saw you play will never cease to miss you.  Ashton Gate has never seemed the same to many of us since you stopped playing.

How amazing, to have had conversations with a grandfather who could compare Wedlock and Ayteo from first hand experience of having seen them play. Understandably, there is so little said about the City team that reached the Cup final and were second in the top flight over 100 years ago. I wonder how many old timers on here have memories of grandparents talking about those teams? Would be great to hear some accounts of Bristol City pre WW1.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

My father also saw both Wedlock and Atyeo. As Dad grew up in the Rhondda, son of a father born in Claverham, he only saw the former when visiting his uncle (his father's brother) who lived on Coronation Road. He said it was very difficult to compare them at different positions and era's

Edited by cidered abroad

6 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A real privilege to have seen his first and last games and a few hundred in between.

To have travelled on trains with the team, when he was always willing to talk with us, never refusing autographs for anyone. And after he had retired, always approachable before and after matches in the car park.

A Legend is not enough to describe him. On a train back from Cardiff after a 1-0 win, a current England player, he admitted in front if his teammates that he had a stinker in the previous home game when we lost 1-4 to Sheffield United. That's how big a character he was.

Could you upload a scan of his autograph please?