IGNORED

Great lyricists in rock and pop

AppyDAZE

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agree about Shane, but just a word about the late Philip Chevron, and his superbly moving lyrics for ‘Thousands are sailing’.  Also nice to see Mark Hollis and Mike Scott getting a mention, though Mike Scott does tend to wander off up his own fundament sometimes…

Just to change the subject a little though: the greatest single song lyrics ever written?  No question: America by Paul Simon.  “Cathy, I’m lost, I said, though I knew she was sleeping…”.  Astonishing.

Amazing that he just seemed to have that one great song in him really.

I was going to include Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen but I consider them more as poets who have their work set to music, like John Cooper Clarke or Benjamin Zephaniah. 

One person I haven't seen mentioned is Bernie Taupin, it's always annoyed me how much credit Elton John gets for the songs that he provided the lyrics for. Someone Saved My Life Tonight is a particular favourite.

An almost complete unknown I would like to mention is a guy called Al Joshua. He formed a band called Orphans and Vandals back in 2007 and although they were short lived they made one really great album called I am Alive and You Are Dead. I really thought they were going to be the next big thing, but hey...... :)

You might like to try this track,

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Amazing that he just seemed to have that one great song in him really.

I was going to include Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen but I consider them more as poets who have their work set to music, like John Cooper Clarke or Benjamin Zephaniah. 

One person I haven't seen mentioned is Bernie Taupin, it's always annoyed me how much credit Elton John gets for the songs that he provided the lyrics for. Someone Saved My Life Tonight is a particular favourite.

An almost complete unknown I would like to mention is a guy called Al Joshua. He formed a band called Orphans and Vandals back in 2007 and although they were short lived they made one really great album called I am Alive and You Are Dead. I really thought they were going to be the next big thing, but hey...... :)

You might like to try this track,

Cheers! I enjoyed that. I think you might enjoy Tensheds

https://youtu.be/nMGgtsMfkVg

• Thanks 1

On 08/02/2022 at 22:08, AppyDAZE said:

Yes, we all know about the Dylans, the Lennons, the Bowies, the Morrisseys of this world, but I'm keen on hearing about some of the other lesser known natural born word-spinners in the rock world.

I've a few that I have as constant favourites to go back to and they include

Andy Partridge (XTC) Ric Ocasek (The Cars) Steve Kilbey (The Church) James Mercer (The Shins)

I know there are many others, but these blokes just seemed to be natural born geniuses when it came to putting pen to paper for song lyrics.

Right Said Fred ........ da da da 

13 minutes ago, zider'ed said:

I randomly came across Beans on Toast on a small bandstand stage at Glastonbury, was quite a few years ago now, had me in stitches! Gets much bigger crowds now and fully deserved.

I did exactly the same. Saw him in Stroud in December, seeing him in Bristol in March

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agree about Shane, but just a word about the late Philip Chevron, and his superbly moving lyrics for ‘Thousands are sailing’.  Also nice to see Mark Hollis and Mike Scott getting a mention, though Mike Scott does tend to wander off up his own fundament sometimes…

Just to change the subject a little though: the greatest single song lyrics ever written?  No question: America by Paul Simon.  “Cathy, I’m lost, I said, though I knew she was sleeping…”.  Astonishing.

"I was so upset that I cried,all the way to the chip shop". Jilted John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks (yes his lyrics, which are quite straightforward for him?) - Superb Song Though

Surf's Up 

A diamond necklace played the pawn
Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
To a handsome man and baton
A blind class aristocracy
Back through the opera glass you see
The pit and the pendulum drawn
Columinated ruins domino

Canvass the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping?

Hung velvet overtaken me
Dim chandelier awaken me
To a song dissolved in the dawn
The music hall a costly bow
The music all is lost for now
To a muted trumpeter swan
Columinated ruins domino

Canvass the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping, Brother John?

Dove nested towers the hour was
Strike the street quicksilver moon
Carriage across the fog
Two-Step to lamp lights cellar tune
The laughs come hard in Auld Lang Syne
The glass was raised, the fired rose
The fullness of the wine, the dim last toasting
While at port adieu or die
A choke of grief heart hardened I
Beyond belief a broken man too tough to cry

• Like 2

On 10/02/2022 at 00:38, Red-Robbo said:

I'm adding Gruff Rhys (Super Furry Animals) & Pete Shelley (the Buzzcocks) to that list.

Plus why has no one mentioned either Ray Davies or Paul Weller??!

If you want a wild card, I'm going to throw in Carl Puttnam of late80s/early 90s band Cud. His lyrics are wordy and funny as hell. 

I'm a massive fan of both, but when it comes to this sort of discussion they're kind of taken for granted. That's why I didn't mention them, I typed out how I saw similarities. Early Jam and the stories Weller wrote about we very much about a similar England that `Ray Davies wrote about , just different times. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2022 at 09:51, 1960maaan said:

I'm a massive fan of both, but when it comes to this sort of discussion they're kind of taken for granted. That's why I didn't mention them, I typed out how I saw similarities. Early Jam and the stories Weller wrote about we very much about a similar England that `Ray Davies wrote about , just different times. 

Waterloo Sunset and That's Entertainment both represent a zenith of English lyricism in my opinion.  Up The Junction is there as well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Waterloo Sunset and That's Entertainment both represent a zenith of English lyricism in my opinion.  Up The Junction is there as well. 

I always thought that London's Brilliant Parade by Elvis Costello was a cousin of those songs. each verse gives a view of London's history and present. 

From the gates of St. Mary's, there were horses in Olympia
And a trolley bus in Fulham Broadway
The lions and the tigers in Regents Park
Couldn't pay their way
And now they're not the only ones
At the Hammersmith Palais
In Kensington and Camden Town
There's a part that I used to play
The lovely Diorama is really part of the drama, I'd say

Just look at me, I'm having the time of my life
Or something quite like it
When I'm walking out and about