IGNORED

Reading at home match day thread

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Followed next Wednesday by Peterborough v Reading. Their next 3 games are massive. It's up to us to keep them at arm's length tonight and not give them any momentum for their following games 

Indeed...

Win tonight & I feel were virtually safe.

Watch this space ??

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Istr that it was vs Reading at home and loss that did for Holden. 

Another loss tonight maybe problematic and may result in change. 

Reading Vs Derby on Sat I think, so tonight is a must win. 

Reading are, in fact, home to Coventry on Saturday.

WRDC have a very interesting looking fixture away to in-form Middlesbrough.

Somehow, even if Mel Morris were to attend as a Guest of Honour, I don’t envisage Steve Gibson inviting him to the boardroom for a cosy chat and a glass of claret.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveF said:

A win would be great and definitely a big relief. I'm just not sure we're quite in 6 pointer territory yet, more so for Reading.

To me - it's definitely a 6 pointer. Our team has had a torrid latter half to the season for several years and prior to NP although last season , the team went into a tail spin of defeats and had the season been any longer- we  were relegation fodder.

A win tonight will be enough to put us firmly in a scrap for mid table mediocrity whilst a loss against Reading will have us reaching for calculators and looking over our shoulders. As for OTIB meltdowns -well that happens whatever position we're in.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Well, last season we couldn't defend and we couldn't score. At least we can score now, so hopefully next season we'll be able to defend as well!

0-0 tonight then.

Yep both teams have conceded lots of goals.

got 0-0 written all over it.

fingers crossed we’ll get the win ?

Do we need to be early tonight or can we walk straught in?  Do COVID passes still need to be shown and the metal detectors still in operation?

A bit of a shake ep needed and O'Dowda and Martin should probably be benched. Not sure if Bentley might replace O'Leary too.

Expecting a game between too mediocre and boring teams tonight which probably means it's going to be a cracker.  Hoping for a commanding performance and a big win for City.

• Like 2

Both teams are currently pretty crap at defending, but City have the edge on scoring being the 7th highest scorers in the division (although Reading are only 6 goals behind with 2 games in hand).

3-2 City.

Definitely.

Well, maybe.

It's possible.

Doubtful innit.

Probably lose.

Anyway, at least four goals in the game imo..

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Looking forward to this. Tore my calf playing squash last night so all plans for three days off are out of the window and a holiday for half term to Disneyland Paris looks out of the window too!

Need something to cheer me up. I should really know not to rely on City shouldn’t I?! ?‍♂️ 

You have my sympathy Fordy, I partially tore my left hand side chest muscle 2 weeks ago, really painful. When I rang 111 I ended up in an ambulance going to Southmead as they were worried I was having a heart attack.

Starting to get more movement now but it's still extremely painful.

You take care pal and don't rush it.

On the game, the Reading forum seems to think they aren't playing badly which is a concern, just lose interest when going behind.

Win tonight and we're looking safe IMHO.

2-0 with a nice early goal from Andi. ?

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

You have my sympathy Fordy, I partially tore my left hand side chest muscle 2 weeks ago, really painful. When I rang 111 I ended up in an ambulance going to Southmead as they were worried I was having a heart attack.

Starting to get more movement now but it's still extremely painful.

You take care pal and don't rush it.

On the game, the Reading forum seems to think they aren't playing badly which is a concern, just lose interest when going behind.

Win tonight and we're looking safe IMHO.

2-0 with a nice early goal from Andi. ?

Thanks mate. What’s the latest on the job front?

• Like 1

Reading fans seem to think they'll have their best side out for a while following some players returning from injury, and that they've been unfortunate to lose games they've largely dominated in the last few weeks. We must score first if we're going to win this one, in this situation (playing a team on a bad run) City have a habit of giving away a soft goal (eg penalty, own goal, bad backpass) and the opponents suddenly believe in themselves after looking hopeless initially.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pearson-to-miss-reading-game/

Nigel Pearson will be absent from this evening’s game against Reading.

The Manager has undergone a scheduled routine medical procedure and is planning to return to work ahead of Sunday’s game at Swansea City.

Assistant Manager Curtis Fleming will take charge of the team against Reading.

“I would like to thank everyone at the football club for their support,” said Pearson. “I wish Curtis, the staff and the players all the best for today’s game and look forward to returning to work as soon as possible.”

1 minute ago, Cardy said:

Strange goings on again here….

Why would anyone agree to a pre-scheduled appointment on the day of a game? Bizarre timing at the very least.

Without knowing what it is, how can we say? It could be something that needs 3 or 4 days convalescence and so he'd miss a game whenever he had it. It could be 'pre-arranged', but only by a week or two, and also potentially is something urgent.

Maybe this was just the best timing he could get, when no timing is perfect?

We really should try not to jump to conclusions when it's a health matter.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Strange goings on again here….

Why would anyone agree to a pre-scheduled appointment on the day of a game? Bizarre timing at the very least.

We don't know the details. Your health should always come first.

Nige has had a tough time on and off  the last 18 months.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 5