IGNORED

Long Ashton Park & Ride

Redtucks

Does anyone know if the opening hours of the Long Ashton Park and Ride have changed.

I have used it in the past, but not for a few months.

All info on various websites seems to be conflicting and attempts to ring have been unanswered.

Any replies would be most appreciated.

5 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Does anyone know if the opening hours of the Long Ashton Park and Ride have changed.

I have used it in the past, but not for a few months.

All info on various websites seems to be conflicting and attempts to ring have been unanswered.

Any replies would be most appreciated.

The gates close at 22.30 weekdays I believe  not open on a Sunday, always park in there and walk up to the ground...if pouring down might get the bus..

• Thanks 1

The vexed issue of the street parking around Ashton Gate and the non availability of the Long Ashton Park and Ride for football fans has been on my mind recently.

I think it is probably common ground on OTIB (and with the club) that it would make sense to allow parking at the LAPR for football and rugby matches. It is also common knowledge that this is "not allowed"; I understand that this is fundamentally because the parking is intended for those visting the city centre - largely commuters and shoppers.

Several questions occur to me!

1. does anyone know what the percentage usage of the 1500 spaces actually is at peak times? ie - how likely is it that sports fans would cause problems if several hundred parked there on a match day?

2. the rules state that one has to use the bus service if parking at LAPR. However - is this policed? Who - if anyone - checks to see if drivers simply walk out of the car park? Presumably if some fans could get away with it, they would.

3. If a law abiding couple arrived at LAPR and  - say - the wife caught the bus to the city centre while - say - the husband walked to the football, would anybody notice? And would that actually break the rules?

4. I Googled the subject and found a 2017 BEP article which said the problem was caused by the mixed ownership of the site. The council, apparently, was about to buy out David Lloyd and then review the use of LAPR, including Ashton Gate fans' usage. Did that ever happen? If so, what was the outcome?

5. Are there any machines to actually take parking fees if they allowed payment instead of buying bus tickets?

I do see this site as a potential fundamental solution to the street parking around the stadium. So, I think, do many others. And despite being someone who parks on the street, I do sympathise with the residents. Why (oh why) have the council never resolved this? And is the club doing enough to encourage it?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

For those of us that regularly park here and have never had an issue, I'm sure we would all be grateful if it was kept on the hush hush and not mentioned too often publicly, otherwise another convenient parking spot will be lost.

Well that answers the question. I doubt GCHQ are monitoring OTIB tbh.

So why has there been a fuss about it being unavailable? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Because you have a ‘community asset’ car parking facility with significant capacity sat a few hundred yards from the largest stadium in the region, which either stands empty on evening matches /events or with many unused spaces during afternoon matches.

Meanwhile the streets around the stadium are clogged full of cars, much to the annoyance of local residents, and charges for any off-street parking rise at about two thousand times the rate of inflation every season.

10 hours ago, Leveller said:

It hasn't been unavailable at any time in the past 3 years to my knowledge. As others have said. Park get on bus, get off two stops later, then walk back after the game. Easy.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

It hasn't been unavailable at any time in the past 3 years to my knowledge. As others have said. Park get on bus, get off two stops later, then walk back after the game. Easy.

I didn’t even know you could do that. Can I use my bus pass too?

The park and ride is closed on Sundays and bank holidays so cannot be used for matches that fall on those and it closes at 2220 in the evening so an evening cup game with potential for extra time or penalties could be risky, but for games when it is open no action has been taken against those using it. I think those with bus passes are more likely to do the 2 stops to make it ‘legitimate’ than those who would have to pay for a ticket. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2022 at 22:53, xerox6060 said:

The gates close at 22.30 weekdays I believe  not open on a Sunday, always park in there and walk up to the ground...if pouring down might get the bus..

On 21/02/2022 at 20:14, xerox6060 said:

Be careful if parking in the Long Ashton Park and Ride now its possible the gates may now closer earlier in the evenings ..21.00 etc TBC 

On 14/07/2022 at 16:15, xerox6060 said:

Seems a bit of an over complicated thread

Just park up,  get on the bus and get off at Ashton Gate 2nd stop ...then walk back after the game ..simple .

Yes, it does ???

On 15/07/2022 at 06:41, Sir Geoff said:

So. Next silly question. Walk back, you say. Where exactly? Trying to track it on a map/satellite. Feeder Road? is that usable by pedestrians?

And where does the bus drop off after two stops?

40 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So. Next silly question. Walk back, you say. Where exactly? Trying to track it on a map/satellite. Feeder Road? is that usable by pedestrians?

I think it is behind what used to be the ten pin bowling alley.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

Have never used the bus. I always walk both ways. I guess you get off where the other city fans get off.

10 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just walk back towards the Long Ashton park and ride and down the slip road or on the path that runs to the left down the hill next to the David Lloyd Centre ...Feeder Road we are talking the same Park and Ride here are we ...get off bus at 2nd stop as someone said near the old ten pin bowling complex a stone throw away from the ground ...