IGNORED

Anyone seen Danny Simpson

barney999

Just wondering what other fans think, should questions be asked about the non appearances of Danny Simpson. Where on earth is this guy and how much is it costing us to have him not even on the bench???

No interviewers seem to ask the question to Nige, Geoff Twentyman, if you're reading, please ask....

1 hour ago, barney999 said:

Just wondering what other fans think, should questions be asked about the non appearances of Danny Simpson. Where on earth is this guy and how much is it costing us to have him not even on the bench???

No interviewers seem to ask the question to Nige, Geoff Twentyman, if you're reading, please ask....

He was at Blackpool. Saw him kicking a ball around with the subs. 

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

Worst City signing ever made. For both on, but mostly off, the pitch reasons 

Hilarious.

We paid £2m for Engvall, he never scored a goal & we sold him 2 years later for £200k.

Palmer was a far worse signing when you take into account the fee & his wages.

Jody Morris? I could go on & on, £750k for Adelakun, who started what? 5 games?

A million for Watkins, Richard Foster, there are absolutely loads of them.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hilarious.

We paid £2m for Engvall, he never scored a goal & we sold him 2 years later for £200k.

But did any of them attempt to strangle their wives, Gray?

I can't imagine he came THAT cheap wages wise.  Played 8 games for us in 11 months, 5 starts, was subbed in all but 2. Last seen in August. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But did any of them attempt to strangle their wives, Gray?

I can't imagine he came THAT cheap wages wise.  Played 8 games for us in 11 months, 5 starts, was subbed in all but 2. Last seen in August. 

I can completely imagine he’s on a low wage (for a Champ player).  My guess is £5k p.w max.  Yes it’s still a lot of money, but it’s not like some are on.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I can completely imagine he’s on a low wage (for a Champ player).  My guess is £5k p.w max.  Yes it’s still a lot of money, but it’s not like some are on.

Considering the amount he's contributing, £500 a week would not be unreasonable. Apparently, he can't even organise a good Christmas party like Jody Morris. ;)

None of us know the effect he has had on the squad, he was bought to help turn around the mentality of the squad more than anything else if I remember rightly.

Maybe we can judge him on the positives of us not getting relegated which was almost a certainty when he came in? Or is that too easy going on him?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Hilarious.

As far as I know, none of them were convicted of domestic abuse and dragged our clubs good reputation through the mud. I guess it depends what you want from your signings. Maybe some on here would be happy with Zouma and Goodwillie joining if they perform on the pitch, I definitely would not. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a sign of the times that a low wage is £5000 a week.  Maybe we should start quoting the wages as an annual figure, £260,000 a year for a little used right back seems a tad excessive to me.

And exactly what were the other £1 million and £2 million a year headless chickens doing for the final 15 minutes last night.  Other than decreasing my life expectancy by some margin.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

None of us know the effect he has had on the squad, he was bought to help turn around the mentality of the squad more than anything else if I remember rightly.

Maybe we can judge him on the positives of us not getting relegated which was almost a certainty when he came in? Or is that too easy going on him?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, redseptember said:

It’s a sign of the times that a low wage is £5000 a week.  Maybe we should start quoting the wages as an annual figure, £260,000 a year for a little used right back seems a tad excessive to me.

And exactly what were the other £1 million and £2 million a year headless chickens doing for the final 15 minutes last night.  Other than decreasing my life expectancy by some margin.  

From a playing perspective it’s been a poor signing.  Until mid Dec, he’d been in almost every Match Day 18 though, just not got onto the pitch.

I agree that £260k p.a. (only my guess) is a lot of money, and you could easily argue…why didn’t we just employ him as a coach?  It’s a reasonable question.  Maybe he goes somewhere else because he wanted to play.  At some point it would be good to hear from Zak Vyner / George Tanner what impact he’s had on them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobbie said:

As far as I know, none of them were convicted of domestic abuse and dragged our clubs good reputation through the mud. I guess it depends what you want from your signings. Maybe some on here would be happy with Zouma and Goodwillie joining if they perform on the pitch, I definitely would not. 

No & back at the time I posted several times that I would have preferred that we had never signed him.
The criteria used by the poster who laughably suggested he was our worst ever signing though, included “on the pitch”, which is just a nonsense. I’m not claiming he’s been a success but he’s been in the match day squad 19 times, so available as an option.

1 hour ago, redseptember said:

Be interested to know who you think is on £40k a week? Or is maths not a strong point?

As for “£1m a year” my guess is the only player on the pitch last night that applies to is Kalas, so if you think the bloke who in the last 15 minutes blocked at least 2 certain goals is a “headless chicken” you should get yourself down to the opticians.

He was a huge reason as to how we won that game.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

I've no evidence that this is the case here so it's speculation on my part but I read an article a while back that clubs are signing experienced pros to help develop their under 23's and younger players. I think Brighton lead the way but several others are doing it now.

Here's the article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/12/ageing-players-signed-to-guide-premier-league-wannabes-brighton-under-23s

Maybe Simpson was originally signed to play because we needed cover at the back but now we have a settled system and players, Simpson has shifted focus to a more non playing development player role.

As Davefevs said above, it would be interesting to hear from the younger lads if this is the case and if this is helping them. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Be interested to know who you think is on £40k a week? Or is maths not a strong point?

As for “£1m a year” my guess is the only player on the pitch last night that applies to is Kalas, so if you think the bloke who in the last 15 minutes blocked at least 2 certain goals is a “headless chicken” you should get yourself down to the opticians.

He was a huge reason as to how we won that game.

Was only guessing at the wages, a quick search of websites quoting football salaries suggests they're guessing as well.   https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/bristol-city/ for instance, has Danny Simpson on £15000 a week (£780,000 a year, after checking my maths)

The general point I was trying to make was how poorly the overpaid players we have coped with the last 15 minutes of the game last night, Kalas's last ditch defending apart.  The amount of space given to a poor Reading team was absurd.

18 minutes ago, redseptember said:

Was only guessing at the wages, a quick search of websites quoting football salaries suggests they're guessing as well.   https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/bristol-city/ for instance, has Danny Simpson on £15000 a week (£780,000 a year, after checking my maths)

The general point I was trying to make was how poorly the overpaid players we have coped with the last 15 minutes of the game last night, Kalas's last ditch defending apart.  The amount of space given to a poor Reading team was absurd.

Those figures are just a nonsense.

Danny Simpson joined us last March having had no club for almost a year, he was 34 then, so obviously in the latter part of his career.

In a market completely flattened by COVID an unemployed veteran had absolutely no bargaining power, as @Davefevs has said he’s far more likely to be on £4k or £5k a week, he signed a one year deal last summer.

You can argue he doesn’t earn it or footballers in general get paid too much, those are different arguments.

As for the last 15 minutes, we had the likes of O’Leary, Scott, Cundy, Vyner on the pitch, I doubt any of them are on wages that will cause us issues with FFP.

No player at the club is on £2m a year, not ever has been.

• Like 2