IGNORED

Anyone seen Danny Simpson

barney999

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Those figures are just a nonsense.

Danny Simpson joined us last March having had no club for almost a year, he was 34 then, so obviously in the latter part of his career.

In a market completely flattened by COVID an unemployed veteran had absolutely no bargaining power, as @Davefevs has said he’s far more likely to be on £4k or £5k a week, he signed a one year deal last summer.

You can argue he doesn’t earn it or footballers in general get paid too much, those are different arguments.

As for the last 15 minutes, we had the likes of O’Leary, Scott, Cundy, Vyner on the pitch, I doubt any of them are on wages that will cause us issues with FFP.

No player at the club is on £2m a year, not ever has been.

And to be fair to salarysports.com, it doesn't claim we are paying anyone that.

What's interesting in their list is more the order of it than the absolute figures, which are based on guesswork.

Simpson's salary will have plummeted since he was a PL player, in demand and at his prime. 

But here's where I wonder. Everyone you employ bases their current salary on their previous earnings. People accept salary cuts to do jobs they really like or if they know circumstances have made them less saleable (in a footballer's case, age and injury record for example).  However when you've been on a mega salary even cutting it by two-thirds because you're at the fag end of your career probably means you may earn more than some players who have never reached above Championship level, especially young players keen to break into the big money league but yet to land that huge deal and with fewer financial commitments. 

The figures are almost certainly wrong on that spreadsheet, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Simpson is on more than most players who've been lynchpins of our teams this season.   Even if he's at £5K, it's still quarter of a million a year down the shitter.  Nowhere near Lee Johnson/Mark Ashton's degree of financial imprudence, but I don't give Pearson a free pass for getting this one very wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

but I don't give Pearson a free pass for getting this one very wrong. 

No, I don’t think many people are either.

I think some of us are however suggesting (making excuses maybe?) that we might be getting more out of Simpson than just his playing time, I.e. off the pitch stuff.

On a pure football lens, poor signing….but with good intentions (I think).

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

No, I don’t think many people are either.

I think some of us are however suggesting (making excuses maybe?) that we might be getting more out of Simpson than just his playing time, I.e. off the pitch stuff.

On a pure football lens, poor signing….but with good intentions (I think).

I'd hope that was true, but I'm not sure if he's the vibes merchant that other non-players have been claimed to be. Plus haven't we got Scotty for that?

If he's doing his badges, he might help out the qualified coaches a bit, but really we're helping him more than he is us. 

When you take his feeble on-pitch contribution, his wife-beating conviction and his salary, I think it's fair to say it was a mistake to sign him.

In Pearson's plus folder, he hasn't had any others like that.  Of course, he hasn't had the funds to bring in many either.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Hilarious.

We paid £2m for Engvall, he never scored a goal & we sold him 2 years later for £200k.

Palmer was a far worse signing when you take into account the fee & his wages.

Jody Morris? I could go on & on, £750k for Adelakun, who started what? 5 games?

A million for Watkins, Richard Foster, there are absolutely loads of them.

Don’t forget Tony Dining, I think his name is.

35 minutes ago, Super said:

Have any of the Ex Leicester boys been a success?

Think both James and King have been ok when available and fit although injuries have been a big issue, so probably not is just playing terms.

That said, I would hope that both are a huge help in developing our young midfielders who have all come on well this year: Massengo, Scott and Benerous certainly not looking too shabby.

At the time I thought the signing made sense provided it was low and considering our only other right back at the time was Vyner.

I expected us to play 4 at the back more often and for him to feature a lot more in that formation, obviously that hasn't been the case and so he's turned out to be a poor signing. At the time I could see the logic though. 

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1