IGNORED

Danny Drinkwater

BCFC1512

26 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Off field issues -

Danny Drinkwater: Chelsea midfielder says 'time to clean myself up' - BBC Sport

More to this story I suspect, don't be to harsh.

Poor bloke.

Regardless of the zeros in your bank account, things can and do get on top of you.

I hope he gets the support he needs.

We saw it first hand with Culker.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Off field issues -

Danny Drinkwater: Chelsea midfielder says 'time to clean myself up' - BBC Sport

More to this story I suspect, don't be to harsh.

It does seem that ironically, from the article and the shape he looked to be in last night, drinking water would be better for him.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Funny they never report the unemployed ex-steelworker who's hit rock bottom and professes to want to 'clean up his act '.

First world problem of a first world idiot. Others are far more deserving of our sympathy.

How is it a “first world problem”?

Why are others more deserving? I’d argue anyone with a mental health issue is equally deserving of support. No one chooses to go “off the rails”. No one chooses a mental health problem any more than someone chooses to develop a serious physical health problem.

Its ignorance like yours that impacts ALL mental health sufferers.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Funny they never report the unemployed ex-steelworker who's hit rock bottom and professes to want to 'clean up his act '.

First world problem of a first world idiot. Others are far more deserving of our sympathy.

If you think mental health issues and alcoholism are 'first world problems' I suggest you travel around the world a little more

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

How is it a “first world problem”?

Why are others more deserving? I’d argue anyone with a mental health issue is equally deserving of support. No one chooses to go “off the rails”. No one chooses a mental health problem any more than someone chooses to develop a serious physical health problem.

Its ignorance like yours that impacts ALL mental health sufferers.

We disagree.

These days its deemed acceptable to excuse all sorts of behavioural failings as an issue with 'mental health'. In Drinkwater's case maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That's the problem, it's non-falsifiable.

Now one might question why it is some with 'mental health' issues seek to publicise the fact rather than, if cognisant of their own failings, attempt to sort matters away from the stress and glare of scrutiny (as any competent mental health professional might advise?) Even the term 'mental health' is culturally ambiguous. Although the negative outcomes of mental illness/disorder may be similar to those of poor 'mental health' they are not necessarily the same and should not so be assumed.

You're correct nobody chooses to 'go off the rails', same a folks don't choose to have a low IQ but reality is, baselined against a social norm, such folks will always exist (though over time who falls where on the curve will change.) Now some might argue Drinkwater has over the years demonstrated through the consistency of his behaviour who he is, because that's his personality type. That's different from 'mental health'. He's not the first footballer so to do, nor will he be the last. He may no longer be happy with who he perceives himself to be and may seek to deploy techniques to amend his behaviour. If so, good luck to him and I wish him well in his endeavour. But citing 'mental health' is sometimes the modern equivalent of the 'get of of jail free' card. Do I have sympathy for his personality? Of course I don't, that's who he is. Do I excuse him for his failings? No, again that's who he is.

And the reason this is a 'first world problem' is unlike the majority of folks on this planet, many of whom do suffer intolerably poor mental health, they don't have the luxury to sit around and dwell on it. They're minute by minute facing famine, or war, or death, or persecution, or extreme poverty and there is an observed correlation between 'reported' mental health issues and affluence. Some theories postulate that our Western comforts and affluence is now the prime cause for our reported mental health outcomes. That we've an iatrogenic 'mental health' crisis.  I happen to believe there's a grain of truth in that.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Couldn't he be sponsored by AA?

They would certainly help with his recovery! 

Seriously though, hope he can rebuild his career somewhere and sort out his MH issues. Everything he has gone through is something most of us have suffered but maybe not all at once and we're all built differently in terms of coping with it. 

• Like 1

He certainly looked to be carrying a few extra pounds when he came on  and unlike Swift; had zero impact on the game.

Joao also looked unfit, and for a guy that always seems to score against us, was completely ineffective.

Why was Swift only on the bench for them? Completely changed the course of the game with his movement, anf passing when he came on.

18 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

We disagree.

These days its deemed acceptable to excuse all sorts of behavioural failings as an issue with 'mental health'. In Drinkwater's case maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That's the problem, it's non-falsifiable.

Now one might question why it is some with 'mental health' issues seek to publicise the fact rather than, if cognisant of their own failings, attempt to sort matters away from the stress and glare of scrutiny (as any competent mental health professional might advise?) Even the term 'mental health' is culturally ambiguous. Although the negative outcomes of mental illness/disorder may be similar to those of poor 'mental health' they are not necessarily the same and should not so be assumed.

You're correct nobody chooses to 'go off the rails', same a folks don't choose to have a low IQ but reality is, baselined against a social norm, such folks will always exist (though over time who falls where on the curve will change.) Now some might argue Drinkwater has over the years demonstrated through the consistency of his behaviour who he is, because that's his personality type. That's different from 'mental health'. He's not the first footballer so to do, nor will he be the last. He may no longer be happy with who he perceives himself to be and may seek to deploy techniques to amend his behaviour. If so, good luck to him and I wish him well in his endeavour. But citing 'mental health' is sometimes the modern equivalent of the 'get of of jail free' card. Do I have sympathy for his personality? Of course I don't, that's who he is. Do I excuse him for his failings? No, again that's who he is.

And the reason this is a 'first world problem' is unlike the majority of folks on this planet, many of whom do suffer intolerably poor mental health, they don't have the luxury to sit around and dwell on it. They're minute by minute facing famine, or war, or death, or persecution, or extreme poverty and there is an observed correlation between 'reported' mental health issues and affluence. Some theories postulate that our Western comforts and affluence is now the prime cause for our reported mental health outcomes. That we've an iatrogenic 'mental health' crisis.  I happen to believe there's a grain of truth in that.

Longwinded way of telling him to "man up"? 

Utter nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Didn’t even know he’d come on! Wish “Downsy” would actually speak the names of opposition players instead of mumbling them!

Rather than taking a cheap swipe at Downsy do you not think that part of the problem might just be with the PA system, that has been frequently discussed here over the years?

Just a thought....

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Longwinded way of telling him to "man up"? 

Utter nonsense. 

Save that's not what I said, but invent as you will.

Ask yourself this:

Somebody informs you they've been sober for 5 years. What's your response? Congratulate them, tell them how well they've done, tell them to keep going?

Well you could do that and that indeed would be to provide positive approval for their behavioural changes. Doubtless you'll feel proud of yourself for so saying. But in doing so you're also reaffirming the individual's failing, adopting an Abrahamic, controlling sense of disapproval - once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. That's how the AA works, hence it's religious roots. Would you say the same of, say, prisoners?  Why bother with rehabilitation? Now you could be honest and in offering praise inform the person they've proved themselves capable of change, but also that they've taken the easy way out. Rather they might modify their behaviour from all or nothing denial to that offering them ultimate freedom.  For it to be their choice. To occasionally enjoy a drink in moderation should they so desire, it's up to them. Difficult for sure, but they're only part way to resolving the primary issue. It's not about drinking per se but having the control to do so should you so wish.  But few would ever see it that way as that's not what the social norm demands. That's how social control works and if you buy into it why would you ever see or think differently?

24 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Save that's not what I said, but invent as you will.

Ask yourself this:

Somebody informs you they've been sober for 5 years. What's your response? Congratulate them, tell them how well they've done, tell them to keep going?

Well you could do that and that indeed would be to provide positive approval for their behavioural changes. Doubtless you'll feel proud of yourself for so saying. But in doing so you're also reaffirming the individual's failing, adopting an Abrahamic, controlling sense of disapproval - once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. That's how the AA works, hence it's religious roots. Would you say the same of, say, prisoners?  Why bother with rehabilitation? Now you could be honest and in offering praise inform the person they've proved themselves capable of change, but also that they've taken the easy way out. Rather they might modify their behaviour from all or nothing denial to that offering them ultimate freedom.  For it to be their choice. To occasionally enjoy a drink in moderation should they so desire, it's up to them. Difficult for sure, but they're only part way to resolving the primary issue. It's not about drinking per se but having the control to do so should you so wish.  But few would ever see it that way as that's not what the social norm demands. That's how social control works and if you buy into it why would you ever see or think differently?

You obviously have had no experience of alcoholism, recovery, or AA – how dare you suggest a recovering alcoholic (or addict of any kind) has 'taken the easy way out'?

An alcoholic IS always an alcoholic, whether they are in recovery or not. They cannot drink in moderation. One drink can lead to serious relapse. Their recovery is dependent on them hitting rock bottom and making a seismic change in their behaviour  so that they are able to live their lives on a daily basis without drink  It requires constant vigilance and hard work. It is NOT easy and they do deserve praise. 

Edited by whoklldredrobin
  • Like 1