IGNORED

Old picture of Ashton gate

sticks 1969

10 minutes ago, TomF said:

Could be wrong but is it when the dolman is being built.  Blocks A/B are having seats still put in and you can see a digger and walll missing at the front 

You could be right Tom, there is only one end where the rubbish "plastic glass" is installed so it's not complete. I would guess 1969/1970?

Those partitions were eventually ripped out in a storm in the late 70's as I recall.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KevP said:

Before that even.....I started going mid 70s and it was like that then....schoolboy enclose in front of Dolman stand ....50p to get in !!?

Jumpers for goalposts, Vicars on bikes going to evensong, Morecombe and Wise.  City centre before they concreted it over...

Marvellous, isn't it? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Could be wrong but is it when the dolman is being built.  Blocks A/B are having seats still put in and you can see a digger and walll missing at the front 

Yes the Dolman is clearly nearing completion, which dates it to about 1970. Advertising hoardings were added to the front of the Dolman stand brick wall after that.

IIRC the block of red seats in the middle was installed in the mid/late 70s following promotion (though they couldn't afford to finish the job, in more ways than one). 

• Thanks 1

I'd say it's taken in early 1970 just before completion of the build. IIRC it opened in August 1970.

There's no advertising hoardings around the pitch (or the stand itself, which were added a few years later mid 70's), and that looks like a Morris 1100 MK2 (if it's a Mk3 then it's a later pic, but the shape suggests it's a MK2) in the foreground nearest the camera, so this suggests to me it was pre completion.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomF said:

1 minute ago, kmpowell said:

I'd say it's taken in early 1970 just before completion of the build. IIRC it opened in August 1970.

There's no advertising hoardings around the pitch (or the stand itself, which were added a few years later mid 70's), and that looks like a Morris 1100 MK2 (if it's a Mk3 then it's a later pic, but the shape suggests it's a MK2) in the foreground nearest the camera, so this suggests to me it was pre completion.

I would say early to mid 80s as others have said as when the Dolman was built and into the First Division days the seats in the Dolman were brown, wooden seats. This photo clearly shows the red, plastic seats that replaced them as an upgrade a decade to 15 years later. Dolman was built in 1970 so I'd guess about 1984-86ish perhaps even slightly later 

4 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

I remember in the period between when it was finished and that first game against Sunderland, me and some mates went to the ground on a midweek afternoon, no one about, walked in through an unlocked gate and just sat in the Dolman, what a view! 

7 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I would say early to mid 80s as others have said as when the Dolman was built and into the First Division days the seats in the Dolman were brown, wooden seats. This photo clearly shows the red, plastic seats that replaced them as an upgrade a decade to 15 years later. Dolman was built in 1970 so I'd guess about 1984-86ish perhaps even slightly later 

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Having said the above it could simply be that the light is making the brown wooden seats look reddish or a reddish brown so it could be 1970 if that's the case

Yep, it's definitely 1970 and those are the old wooden seats just going in. Remember they also started re-cladding the East End roof with red panels around the end of the 70s, so it's earlier than that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Invacar - there are a load of them sat in some farmland up in Scotland.  Few people have salvaged one and got them running again. The rumour that they're not able to be used anymore is actually untrue and you can tax/MOT one. 

We went to this place a couple of years back

https://www.bubblecarmuseum.co.uk/ 

It's not as dull as it might sound to someone of a certain age, :whistle:. They had an invacar amongst their collection.

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

This photo is from an old Football League Review , they used to put in the programs in the Olden days :laughcont:

This was the original seats , so I think you're right.

scan134.thumb.jpg.933dcb8c2feed9f794609c6bb2c217dd.jpg

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

Wasn't our biggest 'official' crowd something like over 43,000 v PNE in the 50's?

It was the Preston game in the same 1934/35 cup run as the Portsmouth game. The 5th round. Though Preston is the ‘official’ record attendance, it is thought that Portsmouth may have been in excess of 50,000. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground