IGNORED

Old picture of Ashton gate

sticks 1969

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I would say early to mid 80s as others have said as when the Dolman was built and into the First Division days the seats in the Dolman were brown, wooden seats. This photo clearly shows the red, plastic seats that replaced them as an upgrade a decade to 15 years later. Dolman was built in 1970 so I'd guess about 1984-86ish perhaps even slightly later 

Has to be 70s. Check out the turnstile entrance to the East End. To the right should be the St John's Ambulance and Police cabins. They were there in the early 80s.

However, I'm more concerned with the UFO on the picture! 

Screenshot_20220211-130303_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Can recall, the first bit of graffiti, i saw around the back of the dolman.

Hull city tigers on tour.

Was there for years.

0E48E17A-8EC0-47CB-B2E1-23A4F58924C9.thumb.jpeg.510a1b2417e95a8dd54b03b28f5c38ce.jpeg

this was taken before the last game before they knocked it down.  Joe and his mate with a can of coke looking like a couple of hoolies.  And also whilst Joe was still able to walk a few yards too.  Always brings a little tear to my eyes for a few reasons.  Legends either side of them too….when the word legend was correctly attributed.

• Like 9
  • Robin 6

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes looks like one of those vehicles for disabled people that used to be around the edge of the ground until H&S was invented. :)

Name some health and safety legislation that you think is bad. I work with major developers, and they literally use their good H&S records as a sales pitch. I've seen countries with no H&S legislation, and it's terrifying: see, for example, Qatar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I would say early to mid 80s as others have said as when the Dolman was built and into the First Division days the seats in the Dolman were brown, wooden seats. This photo clearly shows the red, plastic seats that replaced them as an upgrade a decade to 15 years later. Dolman was built in 1970 so I'd guess about 1984-86ish perhaps even slightly later 

not with those cars in the foreground surely. Early 70's would be my guess

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Name some health and safety legislation that you think is bad. I work with major developers, and they literally use their good H&S records as a sales pitch. I've seen countries with no H&S legislation, and it's terrifying: see, for example, Qatar.

Sorry, did you see that as a criticism, because that was certainly not intended? What I meant was, fancy needing legislation to tell you that parking a few cars within a couple of feet of the pitch where people are running at full speed might not be a good idea. ?

3 hours ago, southside said:

I remember in the period between when it was finished and that first game against Sunderland, me and some mates went to the ground on a midweek afternoon, no one about, walked in through an unlocked gate and just sat in the Dolman, what a view! 

You clearly didn’t hear them telling you to “get out” over the tannoy. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, 42nite said:

They were great floodlights.

Loved those floodlights. Driving into Blackpool Saturday , two of our group hadn’t  been to the ground before & one of the lads only 18. We were explaining what it was like before satnavs , driving into a place & looking for the floodlights to find the ground. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

Superb, but can we change the title from ‘old’ to ‘quite recent’ please.

Those that recall that picture as being like yesterday, don’t need to be reminded that we’re now approaching pension age.

Thanks.

Approaching???

Some of us are well into pension age!!!

:facepalm:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Loved those floodlights. Driving into Blackpool Saturday , two of our group hadn’t  been to the ground before & one of the lads only 18. We were explaining what it was like before satnavs , driving into a place & looking for the floodlights to find the ground. 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Best story i heard about finding a ground, was a mate who followed someone with a palace sticker.

The bloke pulled up on a driveway, miles from the ground!

I dont think ive ever been the same way there twice by road.

I don't know what it is like now, but following the floodlights is not necessarily the best option when driving to Wigan Football Club - the rugby stadium is bigger and easier to find.... 

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Best story i heard about finding a ground, was a mate who followed someone with a palace sticker.

The bloke pulled up on a driveway, miles from the ground!

I dont think ive ever been the same way there twice by road.

We did it back in I think the 80’s , may have been the90’s. Stuck in traffic on the north circular . We saw a city supporters coach & decided to follow it. Little did we know , the coach driver was also lost & turned up outside white hart lane . We were supposed to be going to Leyton orient. Got there 15 minutes into the game & lost 1-0 ?

Here are some interesting pictures courtesy of my Brother and sister in law.

These were taken as seen in the pictures, during the removal of the open end, prior to Atyeo stand being built and. also our fantastic floodlights.  A great one from Raynes Road with the scaffolding going up around the Dolman for cladding renewal.

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

• Like 11

19 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

We did it back in I think the 80’s , may have been the90’s. Stuck in traffic on the north circular . We saw a city supporters coach & decided to follow it. Little did we know , the coach driver was also lost & turned up outside white hart lane . We were supposed to be going to Leyton orient. Got there 15 minutes into the game & lost 1-0 ?

may/may not have been the same time, but I was on a coach to Leyton Orient late 80's/early 90's and that coach got lost and eventually turned up at Half Time. Beryl's face was a picture when she saw what had happened. To be fair to the O's, their programme sellers negotiated with the Police on our behalf and then we went in for half a game for half price 

On 11/02/2022 at 06:13, sticks 1969 said:

Just found this on the net so thought I’d post 

26FBE6C8-6DAF-444D-AD9C-DD65CB17442B.png

Just realised I have an early photo of the newly built  Dolman.

img20201030_11570639.thumb.jpg.57d9ff7c88feb101735efe3a10eb930d.jpg

Doesn't help to date the original photo, but I thought I'd post it.

I've got some old ones of the Williams rebuild , I'll post later.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 3
  • Robin 1