IGNORED

Ipswich

GrahamC

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No, not yet another thread about Mark Ashton.

They were away to MK today (which is 100 miles each way) & took 6,850 fans.

Big ground with plenty of space but that’s incredible support, so fair play.

Can’t deny thats impressive.

Fair play.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Only clubs that at some point in their history have been truly successful at the top level (ie not grim struggles against relegation from the top, and not promotions from L1 and Sherpa Van cups) have that level of interest, and that quality of tradition, handed down from one generation to the next, regardless of current status and regardless of the number of years since their glory days.

We're not in that category of club and never will be. No-one outside of Bristol remembers our Anglo-Scottish cup win, except for Alec Ferguson. 

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I guess it's there nearest divisional rival these days besides Cambridge. 

Although there's the Mark Ashton link these days - and a few of their supporters can be right arses - I always have a bit of time for Ipswich.   What has been achieved by such a smallish town club over the decades has been quite astonishing. And let's not forget, along with Southampton, they played a charity match to help out our players when we were facing extinction. 

• Like 10
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Only clubs that at some point in their history have been truly successful at the top level (ie not grim struggles against relegation from the top, and not promotions from L1 and Sherpa Van cups) have that level of interest, and that quality of tradition, handed down from one generation to the next, regardless of current status and regardless of the number of years since their glory days.

We're not in that category of club and never will be. No-one outside of Bristol remembers our Anglo-Scottish cup win, except for Alec Ferguson. 

Cool story but only 1k more than we took on our last L1 visit to MK

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Nailed it tbf. You could only ever imagine in your very wildest dreams a poxy little history-less club like us mustering up enough interest to even take 5K to Milton Keynes in League 1 or 180 miles away for that matter to a club like Sheffield Wednesday in League 1 (can't think why they entered my head). I mean, it would NEVER EVER happen would it?

I get giving others credit where it's due and that Ipswich support today certainly deserves that but why the **** would you do us down when facts prove otherwise? Just don't understand it.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Nailed it tbf. You could only ever imagine in your very wildest dreams a poxy little history-less club like us mustering up enough interest to even take 5K to Milton Keynes in League 1 or 180 miles away for that matter to a club like Sheffield Wednesday in League 1 (can't think why they entered my head). I mean, it would NEVER EVER happen would it?

I get giving others credit where it's due and that Ipswich support today certainly deserves that but why the **** would you do us down when facts prove otherwise? Just don't understand it.

Ipswich are ninth in L1, we were top. Sheffield Wednesday we were flying, too. How many would we take to MK if we were ninth in L1? How many do we take to Sheffield Wednesday as a rule?

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Ipswich are ninth in L1, we were top. Sheffield Wednesday we were flying, too. How many would we take to MK if we were ninth in L1? How many do we take to Sheffield Wednesday as a rule?

I'm not knocking the Ipswich support, far from it. Did they take 6,850 to MK last season? You can make that comparison with any club even clubs with the "quality of tradition" of Ipswich!! How many did they bring the last time they came to the Gate? I don't recall it being thousands whereas Newcastle pretty much sell out every time.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

City took around five thousand to MK in Cotterill's promotion season. I know, because I have as there.

Talking of mugs and Ipswich Town supporters...... I'm still the proud owner of a "Promoted to the Premier League - Premier Blues - Back Where We Belong" mug from just over two decades ago. I tried to take a photo but only half of the hubris fits on a flat image. A lesson for us all......

.......(and Pep Guardiola will be on his way in a couple of years. Really a lesson for us all.)

Edited by Renaissance Williams

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not knocking the Ipswich support, far from it. Did they take 6,850 to MK last season? You can make that comparison with any club even clubs with the "quality of tradition" of Ipswich!! How many did they bring the last time they came to the Gate? I don't recall it being thousands whereas Newcastle pretty much sell out every time.

All I'm saying is that Ipswich are a "great" club in English football, and we are not. It's only the "great" clubs that can muster a following like this when they are relatively shite, by their standards. 

When Ipswich got to the top division, they achieved "great" things, great civic pride was fostered, great crowds attended. A tradition was laid down, and traditions in football tend to endure. Ipswich were even admired and respected far beyond their local area.

When we got to the top division for the only time in living memory, we were "workmanlike" and battled against relegation for three of the four seasons. No-one outside of Bristol remembers that team, less still admired it. It was a team, like all Bristol City teams, only Bristol City fans could love.

Like the Freight Sherpa Johnson Paintball Trophy, the Anglo-Scottish cup did nothing for "civic pride," and nothing for our away following 40 years later.

We are a club with a "big day out" away following, taking 25,000 to Coventry in 1977, a bit more than Rovers took to Anfield in 94, 9000 to Forest in 89, 8000 to Man City in 2018, 5000 to Sheffield Wednesday when on a record breaking club run, 5000 to MK Don's when running away at the top of the table (how many went to Bradford the night we were promoted though?) or 42,000 to Wembley.

Get to the Prem and play Burnley on a Monday night though, how many go to that? There'll be room on Coach 2, and you know it.

We have our tradition, but it's a smallish club tradition, a Division 3/Division 2/Division 3 tradition, "big day out/ up-for-the-cup big following" - nothing to be ashamed of given our modest/pathetic record over 100 years but never going to be like yer Wolves, yer Pompeys, yer (clubs that won something big once and so mean something to their local area).

In the 1970s and early 80s, little boys around the country wore Ipswich kits and pretended to be Terry Butcher, Arnold Muhren and Paul Mariner; no little boys beyond Bristol ever wore that Umbro City shirt and pretended to be David Rogers, Gueert Meijer or Tom Ritchie, sadly. We're just not in that league of historic, heritage, aristocratic clubs, unfortunately, and so we'll only ever take 6,850 to an away league game the day we get promoted to the Prem (just so long as it's a weekend game not midweek, and not too far north of Birmingham or east of London, or they charge the sort of money Sheffield Wednesday wanted that day in 2015 and everyone decided it was too much).

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

City took around five thousand to MK in Cotterill's promotion season. I know, because I have as there.

Yes, sir. I know. When we were winning every week. How many went the season before that, or the season after? How many will go next time? Add them all up, then divide by 4 and you've got a more realistic idea of our away following.

You might as well say we took 42,000 to Walsall in 2015. 

9 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

All I'm saying is that Ipswich are a "great" club in English football, and we are not. It's only the "great" clubs that can muster a following like this when they are relatively shite, by their standards. 

When Ipswich got to the top division, they achieved "great" things, great civic pride was fostered, great crowds attended. A tradition was laid down, and traditions in football tend to endure. Ipswich were even admired and respected far beyond their local area.

When we got to the top division for the only time in living memory, we were "workmanlike" and battled against relegation for three of the four seasons. No-one outside of Bristol remembers that team, less still admired it. It was a team, like all Bristol City teams, only Bristol City fans could love.

Like the Freight Sherpa Johnson Paintball Trophy, the Anglo-Scottish cup did nothing for "civic pride," and nothing for our away following 40 years later.

We are a club with a "big day out" away following, taking 25,000 to Coventry in 1977, a bit more than Rovers took to Anfield in 94, 9000 to Forest in 89, 8000 to Man City in 2018, 5000 to Sheffield Wednesday when on a record breaking club run, 5000 to MK Don's when running away at the top of the table (how many went to Bradford the night we were promoted though?) or 42,000 to Wembley.

Get to the Prem and play Burnley on a Monday night though, how many go to that? There'll be room on Coach 2, and you know it.

We have our tradition, but it's a smallish club tradition, a Division 3/Division 2/Division 3 tradition, "big day out/ up-for-the-cup big following" - nothing to be ashamed of given our modest/pathetic record over 100 years but never going to be like yer Wolves, yer Pompeys, yer (clubs that won something big once and so mean something to their local area).

In the 1970s and early 80s, little boys around the country wore Ipswich kits and pretended to be Terry Butcher, Arnold Muhren and Paul Mariner; no little boys beyond Bristol ever wore that Umbro City shirt and pretended to be David Rogers, Gueert Meijer or Tom Ritchie, sadly. We're just not in that league of historic, heritage, aristocratic clubs, unfortunately, and so we'll only ever take 6,850 to an away league game the day we get promoted to the Prem (just so long as it's a weekend game not midweek, and not too far north of Birmingham or east of London, or they charge the sort of money Sheffield Wednesday wanted that day in 2015 and everyone decided it was too much).

Aah, the old how many did we take to Bradford question pops up again. How many did we take to Preston three days earlier. Of course everyone should have a super well paid job like you and travel everywhere…..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

How you can be that patronising against your own club astounds me. You would seriously be better off following Ipswich if that diatribe is the way you feel about it. In addition mocking people for not travelling three and a half hours and paying £40 to get in is a bit much too, in fact it’s out of order.

• Like 1