IGNORED

Prague, Vienna and Budapest recommendations

Maldini

On 13/02/2022 at 13:22, Maltshoveller said:

When in Vienna 

IF you have time take the train across the border to Bratislava 

takes less than an hour 

3 hours ago, Maldini said:

Thanks @Maltshoveller will add that to the list!

And, unless prices have increased dramatically since I was there a few years ago, less than €10 for the fare.

Bratislava is a very small town, but worth going to for a brief look around the buildings and general architecture in the town centre and a nice, but relatively cheap, lunch.

Vienna is beautiful, though, and three days (only two, if one is spent in Bratislava) is hardly enough to do it justice - whilst it is a little bit touristy, Grinzing is worth a trip in the evening to visit the bars and reasonably priced restaurants.

• Thanks 1

Have been to all three and they're all great, so you'll have a good time. Got the train from Vienna to Bratislava too, though must admit it was pretty bleak in November and didn't find the locals the friendliest. 

Tretters cocktail bar a favourite in Prague. 

Continential Hotel in Budapest is a nice place to stay. Underground (ruin) bars and the spas obviously well worth a visit. And of course, the Columbo statue!

• Thanks 1

My order of favourites would be Budapest then Prague then Vienna (boring) and then Bratislava a distant last. Go to the latter for a cheap beer but I thought the place was a total shithole and the locals definitely up for agro just based on how they act. Maybe I just had a bad experience.

Budapest is brilliant for the spas and Prague well is Prague.

• Thanks 1

On 13/02/2022 at 10:31, Maldini said:

Hi,

My partner and I are off to these three cities in March. 3 days Prague, 3 Vienna and 4 Budapest. Any recommendations, must see, must avoid? 

Thanks in advance! COYR

First time I went to Budapest it was still in a Communist country. I popped down to one of the subterranean gents you find there and found an old woman cooking something on a Calor gas stove. As I self-consciously tried to relieve myself away from her gaze, I noticed a door opened behind her and one of her kids or maybe grandkids left an apartment built into the toilet.  This family literally lived in an underground khazi!  They must've done something to annoy Janos Kadar!!

It's not like that there now. You still get the cute Mittel Europien buildings, but it's lively. Hungarian beer is surprisingly good, and if, like me, you like a tipple, the Craft Beer House has a great setting next to the Duna (that's the Danube to you and me).

As in Czechia, it's sometimes easiest if you can assay a little German when ordering food and drink, especially from older folk. For young people, you'll find English is widely understood. 

Apparently, the other thing you're always told is that it's considered offensive to chink your beer glasses. I never put that to the test.

You will be offered Tokaj wine. Avoid, it's horrible.  

• Thanks 1

My only advice for Prague is something that's probably true of most Cities and that's not to eat and drink in the tourist areas (e.g. from the Charles Bridge down to the Astronomical clock). If you walk only 2 or 3 streets away you will find the prices are about a third of the tourist trap and the quality of goods and service are far higher.

• Thanks 1

Budapest go to Szimpla Kert, really cool ruin bars. It's one of my favourite Cities, I actually found walking round far better than taking buses etc. So much of it is beautiful. Visit the Castle District, insane views, stunning buildings! Don't visit the Island, it's literally just a dull Island.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Thank you @PHILINFRANCE, @Kid in the Riot, @cidercity1987, @Red-Robbo, @Port Said Red and @Selred!

Really looking forward to finally getting away and checking out these suggestions!

The forum ? The posters ?

Thinking of checking out a game in Budapest on the 19th of March. Ferencváros, Újpest and MTK Budapest all playing at home that day I think. Problem is its my partners birthday that day.....she'll love it I'm sure!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maldini said:

Awesome! Thank you @PHILINFRANCE, @Kid in the Riot, @cidercity1987, @Red-Robbo, @Port Said Red and @Selred!

Really looking forward to finally getting away and checking out these suggestions!

The forum ? The posters ?

Thinking of checking out a game in Budapest on the 19th of March. Ferencváros, Újpest and MTK Budapest all playing at home that day I think. Problem is its my partners birthday that day.....she'll love it I'm sure!

I guess @Hunsupport might also be a person to ask about Budapest. He doesn't seem to be on here much now though. 

Been to Budapest and Prague. Both are great cities to visit. Budapest is my favourite.

The city bus tour is good as you can see loads if on a time restricted short city break. The torture chambers where the Russians captured and tortured the locals during the occupation is well worth a visit. Hard to find though and not really very well advertised. 
The New York hotel is also good for food. Inside is amazing and just like going back to the 60s.
If good weather, an evening stroll down the Danube is always good. Lots of locals out enjoying themselves.

Budapest is one of the best cities in the world IMO. So much to do.

• Thanks 1