IGNORED

Of course it all evens out..

GrahamC

There are teams that get them and Bristol City.

We are too easy for refs to not give them. Our players. supporters and coaching staff as a collective, do not fight hard enough for this club. We might get the odd outburst but we're not known for our tenacity in so many of the things that increase the chances of overall success.

I watched a game the other day where every tackle and ball out of play was appealed for as a collective. If the refs come up against the likes of Fergie or Warnock or whoever on a regular basis, they do their utmost to not really upset them, even then they expect a roasting.

We never as a club have a go at the FA, the Referees association, or enough regularly to make those organisations consider little Bristol City.

I actually believe we get all the referees who are doing their utmost to keep both sets of fans and players happy. The number of times I've noticed the game change in the 2nd half at AG, from a position of total command to one of holding on is strange to say the least. This is easily achieved by awarding most of the 50/50 challenges to the opposition, thus increasing their possession and ability to get the ball into the danger area, where there's a chance to give a penalty. I give you Reading as an example where I believe it was 25 mins into the 2nd half until we were awarded a free kick.

It's down to us as a club to change the way we're seen and, I mean in so many ways. We're too nice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It has come to my attention that we are the only side to have forgotten to make a donation to the refs Xmas party fund this year. Can be the only explanation.

Half the issue in fairness is a lot of our penalty shouts are coming from quick breaks, where the ref is understandably well behind play. On more than one occasion the ref is looking for help from a better placed linesman who just seem to bottle helping them out.

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It has come to my attention that we are the only side to have forgotten to make a donation to the refs Xmas party fund this year. Can be the only explanation.

Half the issue in fairness is a lot of our penalty shouts are coming from quick breaks, where the ref is understandably well behind play. On more than one occasion the ref is looking for help from a better placed linesman who just seem to bottle helping them out.

The first rule of being a linesman is being terrified to affect a game. Make no calls. Just hide and hope to god no one asks you a question. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can anyone explain why we are being denied so many blatant penalties?

Today at 2-1 it was a penalty all day long, as was Dasilva at Fulham when we were level, Scott at home to Forest & QPR, the one in the early stages at Coventry when their keeper took out Martin (?).

It is simply bollocks to say it evens itself out, we have had the least in Europe in the last 2 years & that tired old joke about needing to get into the opposition penalty area is disproved by the 5 examples above.

Incredible.

Clear one on AS at Deepdale too

There are quite a few reasons we aren't getting penalties at the moment:

We rarely have the majority of possession;

We don't have the personnel with courage or skill to attack players at pace;

Our players have poor touch and close control when in possession;

We've a known bunch of 'cheats' who in all areas of the park either look to go down or do fall over at the faintest of touches - it fools nobody, they've developed a reputation and when they are occasionally fouled their reputation precedes them, hence don't get as they should.

In comparison, other teams don't appear to have as many players willing to make unnecessary and reckless changes in their own area.

T'was ever thus. The harder you work, the luckier you get.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

I think the ref was in two minds and was almost pleading the linesman to help him out. The bloke just stood their with vacant eyes.

I agree, think he was hoping for back-up from his assistant who in fairness probably has his view blocked.  Stroud had the best view.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Can anyone explain why we are being denied so many blatant penalties?

Today at 2-1 it was a penalty all day long, as was Dasilva at Fulham when we were level, Scott at home to Forest & QPR, the one in the early stages at Coventry when their keeper took out Martin (?).

It is simply bollocks to say it evens itself out, we have had the least in Europe in the last 2 years & that tired old joke about needing to get into the opposition penalty area is disproved by the 5 examples above.

Incredible.

A penalty from Keith Stroud? Just wasn’t ever going to happen!

It can't be simply poor refereeing, not if it's so often one-directional.

At this point, IMO we should make a collective effort - as supporters - and invite the club to act.

I can't think about someone who could corrupt referees in order to harm our club, but this trend is becoming too suspect to be ignored. Maybe betting? Recently the FA investigated clubs (I don't know if only in Non League or EFL too) about betting, and many players were found guilty...so maybe worth an investigation about referees too?

I really feel angry about this situation: I've always hated referees corruption in Serie A, and the possibility of seeing dirty things in the Championship is disheartening....BUT even if there is a 1% of possibility of bad things going on off the pitch, the club should do something (like a dossier of the episodes).

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

We've a known bunch of 'cheats' who in all areas of the park either look to go down or do fall over at the faintest of touches - it fools nobody, they've developed a reputation and when they are occasionally fouled their reputation precedes them, hence don't get as they should.

Are you a troll?  It's totally false. The contrary may be true, because our players rarely go down/dive...whereas players of other teams do that (at least against us) and are often rewarded by referees.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Hang on. Hang on.

Are people genuinely suspicious that there could be a cabal of second division referees organising to ensure that Bristol City never get a penalty, and in doing so are possibly benefiting from some sort of insider info or betting ring? 

It does appear that LoyalRed has been lending his big book of conspiracy theories to other forummers. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hang on. Hang on.

Are people genuinely suspicious that there could be a cabal of second division referees organising to ensure that Bristol City never get a penalty, and in doing so are possibly benefiting from some sort of insider info or betting ring? 

Not what I was remotely suggesting at all.

I’m just totally baffled, it isn’t always the same player, so presumably it can’t be that refs think it is diving (FWIW I do think Scott has a tendency to sometimes go down a bit easily, but Dasilva? HNM? Semenyo? Martin?).

Also it isn’t like say the game at Coventry where we did actually get one, so the ref felt he had evened it out a bit after not giving the clear earlier one on Martin.

The facts are that we have had the fewest awarded & despite one deluded poster claiming we are a team of divers so refs are wary of us, that’s just a ridiculous view. Tom Ince would never get a penalty if that was the case.

I genuinely don’t get it.

Edited by GrahamC

Just now, GrahamC said:

Not what I was remotely suggesting at all.

I’m just totally baffled, it isn’t always the same player, so presumably it can’t be that refs think it is diving (FWIW I do think Scott has a tendency to sometimes go down a bit easily, but Dasilva? HNM? Semenyo? Martin?).

Also it isn’t like say the game at Coventry where we did actually get one, so the ref felt he had evened it out a bit after not giving the clear earlier one on Martin.

The facts are that we have had the fewest awarded & despite one deluded poster claiming we are a team of divers so refs are wary of us, that’s just a ridiculous view.

I genuinely don’t get it.

I'm just very aware that I only see City, and I see it all through very red-tinted glasses. Without forensically analysing every other teams penalty calls and penalty rates it's really hard to say that we have an issue.

Notwithstanding that I agree we should have had one today, plus the others you mentioned in your OP.

It’s incredible that Keith Stroud continues to referee. If he wasn’t so inept, many of us wouldn’t know his name. Although it’s  not just a problem with us.  He turned down a penalty for Birmingham last week that was right in front of him. Unbelievable decision. And yet nothing changes and he gets wheeled out to mess up another game this week. 

• Like 1