IGNORED

Pearson post match

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Harry R said:

He knows how to push fans' buttons, does Pearson. Plays up to his image as a no-nonsense hard man. 

He had a clearout last summer but apparently he needs another one. 

A less famous manager would have been sacked a while ago.

Not a chance. 

Pearson is currently 2 lives into an LJ set of 9. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Lets hope our recruitment team are stepping up

Blimey we need our recruitment team to do a much better job than last close season. 
James injured. 
King, Simpson past it. 
Atkinson, Tanner punts who might come off. Injured 

Baker, unluckily injured but never the less has a questionable recent injury record. 

Weinman 1 in 7 who has proven to be a good signing. 

We need to sign players who have a very good injury record in the summer. 

• Like 1

Just now, aa_bcfc said:

Blimey we need our recruitment team to do a much better job than last close season. 
James injured. 
King, Simpson past it. 
Atkinson, Tanner punts who might come off. Injured 

Baker, unluckily injured but never the less has a questionable recent injury record. 

Weinman 1 in 7 who has proven to be a good signing. 

We need to sign players who have a very good injury record in the summer. 

surely a good injury record all year ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Something has changed.

NP is reported to have said whether I am here, or a new manager is, next season.

Has he been given a warning/target by SL?

Or is he thinking of calling it quits?  His health has not been good over last 12 months, so perhaps feels he has had enough, or his wife does

whatever it is certainly a change in tone, and if he is right in his analysis of players the problems at City must run very deep indeed..

I am backing Nige.  City’s last chance saloon under present ownership

Edited by Ivorguy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Something has changed.

NP is reported to have said whether I am here, or a new manager is, next season.

Has he been given a warning/target by SL?

Or is he thinking of calling it quits?  His health has not been good over last 12 months, so perhaps feels he has had enough, or his wife does

whatever it is certainly a change in tone, and if he is right in his analysis of players the problems at City must run very deep indeed..

I am backing Nige.  City’s last chance saloon under present ownership

More likely to step down than be sacked.

He is extremely frustrated and can't understand why his message isn't getting through.

Can't be much fun at work currently, depends how invested he is in the club and 3 year plan I guess.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Pearson says you cannot give players desire. I’d argue you can, it’s called motivating players 

I would argue that any highly paid professional sportsperson who needs to be motivated by management to perform at their best for the benefit of the team, isn’t fit for a place in the team. You shouldn’t need to coach desire and determination; it should be a pre-requisite.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I would argue that any highly paid professional sportsperson who needs to be motivated by management to perform at their best for the benefit of the team, isn’t fit for a place in the team. You shouldn’t need to coach desire and determination; it should be a pre-requisite.

So wrong.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Most footballers need motivating 

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Sadly for you, he is going nowhere. Go and ask him directly. Ask to meet him, he will do it. You have today commented on his shouting, and now his frustration. He would love to hear it from you directly. He really would, as you claim to know so much about his thoughts, feelings, health , the list goes on you must know him very well. 

It’s funny because after the midweek win it was all nicey towards Nige wasn’t it, being all populist, things really looking up since November, etc, etc

Then today, we lose and out come his digs again 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Harry R said:

He knows how to push fans' buttons, does Pearson. Plays up to his image as a no-nonsense hard man. 

He had a clearout last summer but apparently he needs another one. 

A less famous manager would have been sacked a while ago.

Why is he famous? Because he’s achieved things in the game.

He’s not still here because he’s “famous”. He’s here because he has a track record that commands respect and rightly rewards him with more time to build a successful team than a rookie manager (such as Holden) would be given.

He didn’t have a “clearout” last summer. He inherited a very average squad, made a start on building his own team and needs longer to continue that process to make us competitive at the top end of the division. That sounds entirely reasonable to me.

There are plenty of green shoots; some hugely promising youngsters to build a team around, improving home form, a more entertaining style and a better goal threat. There are obvious weaknesses but Pearson knows what they are and remains by far the best candidate to take us forward - not least because the last thing this club can afford is another new manager and another pay off.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

How do you know?

Because I watch players giving poor displays and then improving two days after a new manager comes in. A lot of that will be motivation to impress the new manager and they weren’t motivated to impress the old.  I’ve heard lots of ex pros talking about man management and motivation.  Players talking about running through a brick wall for a manager.  

Genuinely thought this was common knowledge 

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

No they don't. Well failed players might. Go study or speak to someone to help you understand it.There is much out there written and provided by professionals it is worth researching it to understand what makes the best players better than the rest. The level of self motivation is very high.  

You are talking about the top 1% of players.  Ronaldo and Messi don’t need motivating sure. Not sure if youve noticed but our level of player is below that. Many ex pros talk about managers being good motivators. You should listen to them to understand.  

Edited by And Its Smith

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Because I watch players giving poor displays and then improving two days after a new manager comes in. A lot of that will be motivation to impress the new manager and they weren’t motivated to impress the old.  I’ve heard lots of ex pros talking about man management and motivation.  Players talking about running through a brick wall for a manager.  

Genuinely thought this was common knowledge 

I wonder if agents mention that their player struggles for self-motivation when negotiating the player's £1million a year salary

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In general I think the idea that an employee doesn't need motivating from time to time by their employers is barmy, and why should footballers be any different? They're still susceptible to similar feelings towards work and life as any of us would be....

Having said that, it's very rare you'll get players who reach Championship standard of football without having a lot of commitment and determination. Many of us would argue that their wages and the opportunity to do what most of them love for their employment should be enough on it's own too. 

So, as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle. You can't expect a footballer to have tunnel vision and be 100% motivated all the time, they're human beings not robots. Cristiano Ronaldo is an exception to the norm... but if they always need extra motivation because they consistently lack desire and heart to do the basics for the side that's also a problem. I think NP thinks we've got a couple in the squad that are the latter and this is where it's hard to justify having those types in the squad. 

He's been patient and protected them over the last few weeks when we're giving away cheap goals. Maybe this is simply a different form of motivation which might kick a couple of the squad into action. 

Nige has a difficult job to do but progress is being made. Let's stay patient and acknowledge the bigger picture rather than be so reactive after each game. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

No it drops far lower than that. Where did I mention Messi ? As I say if you really want to understand , it is all out there. Or go and talk to some people to help your understanding. I'm not doing your homework for you. 

PS . We have some players at out club who have those attributes. 

Deary me.  You said most players don’t need motivating. That’s just plain wrong.  Pep left Barcelona as he couldn’t motivate his players anymore. Clearly if Barca players need motivating then most will 

Edited by And Its Smith

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You are talking about the top 1% of players.  Ronaldo and Messi don’t need motivating sure. Not sure if youve noticed but our level of player is below that. Many ex pros talk about managers being good motivators. You should listen to them to understand.  

Not sure about Ronaldo at the moment, and even Pep for all his motivational speeches gave up on Barcelona. 

Edited by E.G.Red

19 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Well according to some, by sacking the manager tasked to achieve it!

That is one option.

Sticking and hoping is another

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So you’d be happy to pick half-arsed players who constantly need to be encouraged by management to perform? And you think that’s a culture that would breed success?

A  tad more complicated than that.