IGNORED

Bristol City in Second Place - 1 point behind Fulham

bcfcredandwhite

...... that's where we would be if we hadn't let 26 points slip from winning positions. 

TWENTY SIX POINTS - more points slipped from a winning position than any other side.

The opposition will not care about going behind to us any more - they will know that they will simply score a flurry of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. 

We only held on against Reading by the skin of our teeth. 

What is it with us and conceding late goals?

14 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

...... that's where we would be if we hadn't let 26 points slip from winning positions. 

TWENTY SIX POINTS - more points slipped from a winning position than any other side.

The opposition will not care about going behind to us any more - they will know that they will simply score a flurry of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. 

It's pretty obvious we have a team that are mentally weak without the basics to see out a game.

We got to try and recruit as much as possible for the defence in the summer. We’re okay attacking wise if we keep all our players. Couple centre halves needed, full backs as well. Tbh we need a proper revamp. Look at what Huddersfield have done. Was shipping goals all last season now have a pretty solid defence via smart recruitment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

We got to try and recruit as much as possible for the defence in the summer. We’re okay attacking wise if we keep all our players. Couple centre halves needed, full backs as well. Tbh we need a proper revamp. Look at what Huddersfield have done. Was shipping goals all last season now have a pretty solid defence via smart recruitment 

'Keeper.

1 minute ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

The defence needs a revamp.  Whether that includes Kalas or not I don’t know.  I’m v.happy with Atkinson, based on what he showed earlier this season.  Shame suspected covid and now a calf injury have left us w/o his services.  We have Tanner for RB, Pring for LB.  So we will need competition for them too.

I don’t think the priority is a striker, but if we manage to move on Wells then we have scope depending on whether we use that money in other positions.

Still a lot of unknowns though.  Contract decisions will drive much of it.

• Like 2

Its seems to be self fulfilling now, combined with the fact other teams know we buckle at the end.

Not sure how to get out of that, other than mental conditioning. I myself cannot watch the final 10 mins of so anymore. Those of us that sit in the Dolman that get stick for leaving early have been proven to be correct !

11 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Now deduct the points we have fought back from losing positions and where are we? Cant have it both ways I'm afraid.

That's a fair comment - I haven't checked, but I don't think there will be many of those though.

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add words

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whether that includes Kalas or not I don’t know. 

Its an interesting one the Kalas situation. He was poor as a captain, and i dont think he leads the defence well at all, which is something you would expect from a senior player on his wage. I wouldnt have said this earlier this season, but i wouldnt be too upset if he was moved on. Kalas is better individually than as part of the collective defence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Mental stat that in reality. You can look at it in a positive light though I suppose, mentally toughen up and shore up the defence next season and we will be a force.

Certainly no issues with our forward/counter attack play this season, at times we have looked deadly on the break which hasn’t been the case for years.

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Now deduct the points we have fought back from losing positions and where are we? Cant have it both ways I'm afraid.

I havent analysed the games or reviewed the results, but I have seen most of them this season and genuinely I think that's not very many.  8 points that I can think of,   Not even close anyway to the amount of points we've lost from leading positions. 

7 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

It's gotta be a mental health thing, said it elsewhere and when been to matches, the whole demeanour and aura of the team changes when we concede. 

It's not even like it's just heads dropping, we forget basics, players suddenly flip out of character, make odd decisions and dont act as the same people nor players they were minutes or even seconds earlier. 

Some of the characteristics of ptsd are here 

Alertness or feeling on edge

This can include:

• panicking when reminded of the trauma
  • being easily upset or angry
  • extreme alertness, also sometimes called 'hypervigilance'
  • disturbed sleep or a lack of sleep
  • irritability or aggressive behaviour
  • finding it hard to concentrate – including on simple or everyday tasks
  • being jumpy or easily startled
  • other symptoms of anxiety.

It's literally what happens when we concede a goal, and I'd love for the club to perhaps look at that and treat it as that as a way forward. 

I'll be the only one saying it, but clear as night and day for me as to why we crumple over and over as the team have got to a point of being traumatised by conceding one, and from that the rest goes to crap. 

You think our players suffer from PTSD?

You certainly will be the only one saying it...

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Alertness or feeling on edge

This can include:

• panicking when reminded of the trauma
  • being easily upset or angry
  • extreme alertness, also sometimes called 'hypervigilance'
  • disturbed sleep or a lack of sleep
  • irritability or aggressive behaviour
  • finding it hard to concentrate – including on simple or everyday tasks
  • being jumpy or easily startled
  • other symptoms of anxiety.

This more or less describes what I go through in EVERY City game, when the clock reaches 75 minutes ........ ? 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

And add / deduct all the points won and lost by all other teams to make the table have any meaning at all. The whole premise of the thread is so skewed as to make no sense.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The defence needs a revamp.  Whether that includes Kalas or not I don’t know.  I’m v.happy with Atkinson, based on what he showed earlier this season.  Shame suspected covid and now a calf injury have left us w/o his services.  We have Tanner for RB, Pring for LB.  So we will need competition for them too.

I don’t think the priority is a striker, but if we manage to move on Wells then we have scope depending on whether we use that money in other positions.

Still a lot of unknowns though.  Contract decisions will drive much of it.

The answer to that first question is probably whether we can get a taker for him, if not he’s here for another year until his contract expires.

Realistically we need another RB, (Simpson will go) to sort out Dasilva’s future (if he won’t leave & the rumour is he turned down the B’ham move, not us) then we’re in exactly the same boat as Kalas.

In the middle we need to decide on Klose & Cundy (both OoC) & Moore, though if his wages are as high as rumoured we might be looking at another loan to take him to the end of his current deal.

Bit of scope to change it around if we wish but not too much if we keep both Klose & Cundy & can’t shift either Kalas or Dasilva.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its an interesting one the Kalas situation. He was poor as a captain, and i dont think he leads the defence well at all, which is something you would expect from a senior player on his wage. I wouldnt have said this earlier this season, but i wouldnt be too upset if he was moved on. Kalas is better individually than as part of the collective defence.

Good points @TonyTonyTony

I love Kalas's determination, and his willingness to put his body on the line time and time again. When he is on his game, there are very few finer defenders in the division. The one season partnership he had with Webster was for me the best CB partnership since the Merrick/Collier days. Webster was great of course, but Kalas played his part; and the two of them complemented each other so well.

The issue is he isn't a leader, or even an organiser. I think he prefers to focus on his own game, and not be distracted by others.

We obviously need a complete over hall in the defensive department (To be fair, I'm still not convinced by either keeper as well, and both OOC Summer 23). If you were to say to me, we keep Kalas; but his wage demands exclude the possibility of signing a number of other reinforcements then it may be time to reluctantly part ways.

The defence is the sum of all parts. There's no point having an outstanding individual defender who is let down by the others. Or even in his case, allows them to impact on his own performance levels.

Some really hard decisions for RG & Np in the summer. Pragmatically we have to sign 3-4 defensive reinforcements in my view. Both at fb/wb areas; and if Baker is retiring in the CB area as well. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The answer to that first question is probably whether we can get a taker for him, if not he’s here for another year until his contract expires.

Realistically we need another RB, (Simpson will go) to sort out Dasilva’s future (if he won’t leave & the rumour is he turned down the B’ham move, not us) then we’re in exactly the same boat as Kalas.

In the middle we need to decide on Klose & Cundy (both OoC) & Moore, though if his wages are as high as rumoured we might be looking at another loan to take him to the end of his current deal.

Bit of scope to change it around if we wish but not too much if we keep both Klose & Cundy & can’t shift either Kalas or Dasilva.

We are gonna have to be smart in moving players on.

We can’t mutually terminate contracts willy-nilly.  If we do, there has to be some clause about signing for someone else.

We can’t just let players go on a free, unless signing club pick up the full contract, or player agrees to end any burden on City.

It’s a really difficult situation.  I’m not sure how it is going to play out.

I guess we will get some feel over the next month or so when we see the outcome of contract discussions re Semenyo and Massengo.

56 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

And add / deduct all the points won and lost by all other teams to make the table have any meaning at all. The whole premise of the thread is so skewed as to make no sense.

About to post something similar. 

I know what the OP means though. It would be interesting to see a league table of point dropped after being in front. I’d bet we’d be top of that league.;

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

About to post something similar. 

I know what the OP means though. It would be interesting to see a league table of point dropped after being in front. I’d bet we’d be top of that league.;

A simple 'Why are we so sh!t in the last 15?' would be better and generate discussion. The op essentially says 'without the dropped points we'd be in the Prem next year'. Which is, frankly, absurd.

44 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I have to say the comments of NP after the game yesterday will hardly help their confidence - even if what he said is true.

Why? Are they wallflowers? Shrinking violets? Snowflakes?

People who buckle under criticism - stinging though it may be - are precisely the type of personalities our team can do without, surely?  (Irrespective of who the manager is, btw)

I know where you're coming from but we need people made of sterner stuff than this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

A simple 'Why are we so sh!t in the last 15?' would be better and generate discussion. The op essentially says 'without the dropped points we'd be in the Prem next year'. Which is, frankly, absurd.

Agreed. It's a result of the modern obsession with, and availability of, so much computer generated data. Most of which is essentially meaningless and merely generates a load of "what if", "if only", hypothetical arguments.

The data that really matters is why we keep losing leads. Once you know why, you can work on how to fix it.

I trust in Nige to fix it.

Eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ive got this thing in my head,watching our defenders,its like they watch the ball go through their zone so they havent got to bother exerting any effort.    i dont expect anyone to try and unnderstand what im saying,but if you do,can you word it better please.  ps, a bit more than passing the buck would be nice.?

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why? Are they wallflowers? Shrinking violets? Snowflakes?

People who buckle under criticism - stinging though it may be - are precisely the type of personalities our team can do without, surely?  (Irrespective of who the manager is, btw)

I know where you're coming from but we need people made of sterner stuff than this. 

The point is we haven't got anybody else and aren't likely to have wholesale changes in the summer. Saying your not good enough and ill get rid of you is hardly good motivation for players who are clearly suffering a lack of confidence to see games out.

If your boss told you that how would you feel?