IGNORED

Renaming Ashton Gate

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Has this been held in reserve by our owners, should we get close to breaking FFP? Can an owner sponsor his own stadium? If so, Ashton Gate Bristol Sports Stadium.

I think that is close to the sort of thing Chansiri did at Sheffield Wendy’s. Did Mike Ashley own nearly all of Sports Direct when St James’s was the Sports Direct stadium?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Although I'm sure we would take the piss, no one really cares surely? A huge majority of football fans call grounds with  an historical name, by that name. It's only new grounds like The Etihad etc that get called by the sponsors name.

It's about as relevant as being upset by having a kit sponsor.

I suppose it's a bit like when Rovers tried to rename the rugby ground to the "Memorial Stadium", it's still called the Memorial Ground.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Call it what you want, will still be the Gate to me.

Mind you, I still go on my holiday from Lulsgate, and still go down Broadmead.

I think you'll find it's called Lulsgate Bottom and I can't believe you didn't use the opportunity to make a joke out of it you stupid arse!

About 20yrs ago the stadium in Denver Colorado, where the Denver Broncos play was known as Mile High Stadium. There was initially uproar when the naming rights were changed to "Invesco field". A compromise was made in naming it "Invesco field at Mile High". It has since been changed a few times, always with "at Mile High" in the title.

Should we go for "Thatchers Stadium at Ashton Gate" or something similar and it helps with FFP then I'm all for it. As others have already said, to us it will always be going down "The Gate" 

Edited by City_USA
Grammar

Potentially horrendous - didn’t York City once end up with their stadium being called the Kit Kat Crescent due to sponsorship?! 

The only change I’d accept would be “Atyeo’s Ashton Gate” - to get his name away from the inappropriate stand that currently bears his name ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1