IGNORED

Storm Eunice (and Franklin)

Bristol Rob

• Admin
2 hours ago, italian dave said:

The airport seem to have delayed a fair few flights til after 2 - so they clearly expect it to have settled down a bit by then.

Planes have been landing all day, Easyjet seem to be having less problems than others

Noticed a Ryanair flight earlier tried 5 times to land before going onto Birmingham, other flights have landed since

Screenshot_20220218-122733_Samsung Internet.jpg

The front of a shop on the side of the Odeon in Weston has come down this morning, the sea was lively but didn't seem any worse than before, certainly didn't test the new defences like previous years

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Planes have been landing all day, Easyjet seem to be having less problems than others

Noticed a Ryanair flight earlier tried 5 times to land before going onto Birmingham, other flights have landed since

Reminds me of when I heard the least reassuring statement I have ever heard made. Landing at Edinburgh airport with Easyjet a few years back with what I found out later was 70 mile an hour crosswinds. We went around the airport twice and then the pilot came on and said "Well the two flights in front of us have pulled out of their approaches, but I think we can make it in" !!!

I think there should be a vote in those circumstances, but he did get us down, 1 wheel at a time! 

Edited by Port Said Red

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

The front of a shop on the side of the Odeon in Weston has come down this morning, the sea was lively but didn't seem any worse than before, certainly didn't test the new defences like previous years

Yeah, I don't know how they decide what goes ahead and what gets delayed/cancelled.

I was on a flight into Bristol a few years ago that got down to the ground then aborted, flew round a few times, then went to Cardiff to land. Terrifying (and I mean the whole event - not just arriving in Cardiff!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Reminds me of when I heard the least reassuring statement I have ever heard made. Landing at Edinburgh airport with Easyjet a few years back with what I found out later was 70 mile an hour crosswinds. We went around the airport twice and then the pilot came on and said "Well the two flights in front of us have pulled out of their approaches, but I think we can make it in" !!!

I think there should be a vote in those circumstances, but he did get us down, 1 wheel at a time! 

48 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, I don't know how they decide what goes ahead and what gets delayed/cancelled.

I was on a flight into Bristol a few years ago that got down to the ground then aborted, flew round a few times, then went to Cardiff to land. Terrifying (and I mean the whole event - not just arriving in Cardiff!)

Many years ago, I was on a flight from Johannesburg to Durban, flying through quite a violent thunder and lightning storm.

Obviously, the seat belt sign was on and nobody, cabin crew included, was moving, as we all tried to think of anything but the lightning we could see that appeared to be almost adjacent to the plane.

I thought I was being quite calm, but when I looked behind me I could see two hostesses crying their eyes out!

Not the most reassuring sight. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Many years ago, I was on a flight from Johannesburg to Durban, flying through quite a violent thunder and lightning storm.

Obviously, the seat belt sign was on and nobody, cabin crew included, was moving, as we all tried to think of anything but the lightning we could see that appeared to be almost adjacent to the plane.

I thought I was being quite calm, but when I looked behind me I could see two hostesses crying their eyes out!

Not the most reassuring sight. 

Had that too, landing in snowy conditions at Luton Airport, I was only 17 at the time. They weren't crying but they did have their heads in their hands.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Was watching Big jet TV on YouTube earlier, hats off to the guys and gals that fly these things. There was a big assed A380 doing it’s best to land at Heathrow and after two aborted landings managed it third time . Like trying to land a block of flats in an 80mph crosswind…squeaky bum time! 

32 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Was watching Big jet TV on YouTube earlier, hats off to the guys and gals that fly these things. There was a big assed A380 doing it’s best to land at Heathrow and after two aborted landings managed it third time . Like trying to land a block of flats in an 80mph crosswind…squeaky bum time! 

I’ve ‘wasted’ about four hours watching that channel today. Love it! Never knew it existed before. I had my iPad in one hand and my phone with my aircraft app in the other. After a tough shift at work it was lovely to just chill

• Like 2

'Not another one!' to quote a local lady.

It reminds me of the winter of early 2014 when we had a string of rain storms that drowned Somerset, like we're in the firing line of a meteorological machine-gun.

Edited by Erithacus
typo