IGNORED

Arnold Clark Cup

Port Said Red

Just watching England Women playing Canada and just thinking just how fast the womens game is progressing. The quality of the passing, fitness levels of the players and the pace of the game is light years away from the games I have watched even 5 years ago. Englands opener a cracking volley from Milly Bright.

• Like 2

New tournament this year; taking place during international break across Europe.
England usually take part in SheBelieves Cup with the USA, but because of COVID - and also hosting the Euros this year - fancied a different type of tournament.

This has been an entertaining game so far; and nice to see England play against a strong side like Canada (who won gold at the Olympics last year), compared to minnows like Latvia with the very one-sided results.

All the games are being broadcast on ITV4, taking place at venues that aren't hosting any Euros games. Hoping the team will be back at Ashton Gate one day!

Arnold-Clark-Cup-fixtures-2022.jpg

• Like 1

Watched Bristol City womens team for the first time recently at the High Performance Centre against Crystal Palace. Very enjoyable game to watch. Good passing, plenty of movement and impressive skills on show. Special mention to Abi Harrison, centre forward who has a powerful shot and scores regularly. Just called up to the Scotland squad. Great to take the kids along. City won 4-0 against a team just above them in the league. Have since beaten Durham 3-0 away.  Food and drink available. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Ex Bristol player Lauren Hemp has been superb. 

1-1. A superb game of football. England dominated midfield first half through Williamson and Walsh, but Canada changed their shape abd bossed the second with Chelsea midfielder Fleming pulling the strings. Two superb goals, with Bright scoring for England and Beckie replying for Canada. England centre back Millie Bright was named woman of tge match but the Canadian centre back Buchanan was equally impressive. Looking forward to now watching England play Spain on Sunday. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I copped out. Couldn't remember if we were Bristol Academy, Bristol Vixens or Bristol City when she played. 

The team were Bristol City at that point. A lot of people in women's football still refer to the team as Bristol (I try to say Bristol City as I was a fan of the men's team first), purely because of the history with Bristol Academy. Same reason why the nickname Vixens is still affectionately used

21 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Watched Bristol City womens team for the first time recently at the High Performance Centre against Crystal Palace. Very enjoyable game to watch. Good passing, plenty of movement and impressive skills on show. Special mention to Abi Harrison, centre forward who has a powerful shot and scores regularly. Just called up to the Scotland squad. Great to take the kids along. City won 4-0 against a team just above them in the league. Have since beaten Durham 3-0 away.  Food and drink available. 

Glad you enjoyed the game @WECANDO! If you like what you saw, feel free to contribute to the City Women thread on here.
Also, may I recommend listening to the Bristol City Vixencast if you like your football podcasts ? 

I watched the game. Cracking match! I don't know what Lauren Hemp has to do to get voted woman of the match. She was involved in nearly everything good about England's forward play, forcing the save from the German keeper that broke to Bright for England's second and even winning the midfield header that sent Fran Kirby on her way for the Lionesses 3rd. 

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I watched the game. Cracking match! I don't know what Lauren Hemp has to do to get voted woman of the match. She was involved in nearly everything good about England's forward play, forcing the save from the German keeper that broke to Bright for England's second and even winning the midfield header that sent Fran Kirby on her way for the Lionesses 3rd. 

On the Lionesses page

Screenshot_20220223-214614_Twitter.jpg

• Admin
12 hours ago, Parkwaymom said:

I may be doing Emma Hayes a disservice but I think she has a tendency to favour her own club players when asked to name the woman of the match. 

It's often the same, a player that scores a goal will get the shout even though they haven't really been the best player on the pitch

Suffice to say, start watching Man U big screen, England on the iPad. Finished in the reverse watching the England game on the big screen such was the quality of their play, with the added bonus of no theatrics or constant whinging at the referee.

Excellent entertainment and result. Men’s game might benefit from learning a few lessons about on-the-field conduct. 

33 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Suffice to say, start watching Man U big screen, England on the iPad. Finished in the reverse watching the England game on the big screen such was the quality of their play, with the added bonus of no theatrics or constant whinging at the referee.

Excellent entertainment and result. Men’s game might benefit from learning a few lessons about on-the-field conduct. 

They could indeed but essentially it’s down to the gender difference.

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Some of these crowds must be very concerning with the euros on the horizon 

Screenshot_20220224-194218_BBC Sport.jpg

I wouldn't be too alarmed. The Euros represents a different rating of  competition from what was a friendly invitational tournament, even if they were good sides. It will also be played at a better time of the year and will no doubt reap the benefit from intensive promotion before the event. 

• Like 2

• Admin
3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I wouldn't be too alarmed. The Euros represents a different rating of  competition from what was a friendly invitational tournament, even if they were good sides. It will also be played at a better time of the year and will no doubt reap the benefit from intensive promotion before the event. 

Very true, but those attendances would leave teams like Manor Farm embarrassed 

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Nope? Me neither.

Get the impression that this should resonate somehow, but it doesn't.

Thanks for posting this for awareness, good to know our stadium will be used for the growing women's game. 

No need for the dismissiveness that followed, however.

• Like 1