IGNORED

Ian Pearce

GrahamC

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…and it needs to have a rounded skillset, part of which imho has to “football knowledge” which I deem to be the ability to understand what the manager wants / needs / needs right now / doesn’t need and also from a scouting / video and data analysis perspective whether any player meets that.

It is why the likes of Steve Walsh were successful….he actually acted as a coach too under Pearson at Leicester, so able to understand the true playing requirements for any prospective recruits.

My initial post was more that he might have grown-up near Bristol, but it’s never really come out.  It appears that other posters have confirmed there is / was a link.

I think he's from Surrey, Dave. That's certainly where Chelsea picked him up from back in 1991, when he was in his late teens.

It's a positive sign the club is looking to make this type of long-overdue appointment. It should've been made as soon as Ashton went last summer IMO. 

Pearce was Brighton's head of recruitment when they went up to the PL under Hughton and has been at WBA since 2018. No idea if he's any good, but he has pedigree. 

Edited by tin
Typo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, tin said:

I think he's from Surrey, Dave. That's certainly where Chelsea picked him up from back in 1991, when he was in his late teens.

It's a positive sign the club is looking to make this type of long-overdue appointment. It should've been made as soon as Ashton went last summer IMO. 

Pearce was Brighton's head of recruitment when they went up to the PL under Hughton and has been at WBA since 2018. No idea if he's any good, but he has pedigree. 

Yeah….just as per my post, someone I know said he lived in Cheltenham, no idea when or how long.  As per other poster’s comment, it has little relevance, was just intrigued if anyone knew.  Appears there is some link though,mand the person who told me had some element of fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Agree and can’t see us shopping for the same kind of players as a club like WBA with their benefit of parachute payments.  Would be nice if we were trying to snap up someone with a record of unearthing lower league gems.

If the Lansdown’s are serious about sorting out the financial mess they’ve created, that’s surely where we really should be recruiting from. If not, it may be more about providing the right image for potential buyers.

Under Mark Ashton he often used the phrase "We fish in ponds, rivers, and lakes"

Well now we're fishing in that puddle at the bottom of the garden.

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Under Mark Ashton he often used the phrase "We fish in ponds, rivers, and lakes"

That’s because he was Train Guy.

We are doing so now because of that Walter Mitty *******.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

May well be the case CR.  I’m starting to come to the conclusion that if that puddle produces a few more Atkinson’s and Tanner’s rather than overpaid Chelsea left-overs, that may not be such a bad a thing.  

At least if they don’t work out, like Eisa, Adelukan, etc, we can shift them on and even make a small profit in some cases.  That certainly won’t be case with recruits at the Chelsea end of the scale.

I just hope the Lansdown’s have realised that flaw in their business plan.  Hopefully they’ll  then look for a Head of Recruitment with the expertise needed for the areas of the market that we’ll now be shopping in and not someone used to having bucket losds of dosh to chuck around ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

You’ve won today with that line. Spot on. 

Hi Col, busy, busy man, yuh I’m currently speaking to Steve Lansdown, yes THE Steve Lansdown, just about to download a few idea biscuits, see what comes out of the barrel, you are as ever, a gullible Robin, ciao & Bella fragmento.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hi Col, busy, busy man, yuh I’m currently speaking to Steve Lansdown, yes THE Steve Lansdown, just about to download a few idea biscuits, see what comes out of the barrel, you are as ever, a gullible Robin, ciao & Bella fragmento.

Superb. Have a cappachoochoo on me! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Was he a Red, Nick!

Or not interested? Obviously discounted the other, (minority interest) possibility..

If you mean the cousin, I believe he was, although at the time Ian was playing for Blackburn (and winning the title) so I seem to remember seeing the blue and white halves rather than the jesters outfit on non-uniform days!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Was a great quiz question.

The only person to play with bobby moore and win the prem.

A very aptly named player for today, tony gale, was there the same team as pearce.

Are you Hörður’s dad - Magnus Magnússon, you do like a bit of a quiz / trivia! ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Mate is a bonkers WBA fan asked him for any insights, he said this: don’t know much about him but take a look at where we are and judge for yourself!

Well that's not really fair is it? West Brom are not really looking for long term assets are they? They would rather pay through the nose for players that will get them straight back up. Pearce might be finding it a bit frustrating if he is getting intel on youngsters in the lower leagues and he is being ignored.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well that's not really fair is it? West Brom are not really looking for long term assets are they? They would rather pay through the nose for players that will get them straight back up. Pearce might be finding it a bit frustrating if he is getting intel on youngsters in the lower leagues and he is being ignored.

Quite, not much job satisfaction there.

Though I'm sure he was involved in finding promising youngster Andy Carroll.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree, they seem to be the epitome of managers signing 'panic' players or 'name' players for the sake of it.

Pearce might have been behind the Diangana, Ajayi, Furlong signings?