IGNORED

Pearson’s Not Happy!

JP Hampton

JL will probably be the downfall of those club, if he's unhappy with Pearson he must have someone with more experience in successful football clubs lined up right... ?

I can see Pearson being sacked and the club getting itself in a much worse position than it already is. 

• Like 2

The team as a whole have definitely been performing better and the type of football we’ve seen under Pearson is certainly more exciting than previous seasons. Obviously the goals we’re giving away are the problem. 

Many of the players give their all on that pitch and to say they’re under achieving is a bit of an insult tbh. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

JL will probably be the downfall of those club, if he's unhappy with Pearson he must have someone with more experience in successful football clubs lined up right... ?

I can see Pearson being sacked and the club getting itself in a much worse position than it already is. 

From the way Pearson’s talking wouldn’t be surprised if he jumps before he’s pushed. He’s clearly unhappy with what’s going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 3

10 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

From the way Pearson’s talking wouldn’t be surprised if he jumps before he’s pushed. He’s clearly unhappy with what’s going on behind the scenes. 

Yup, certainly looks like the beginning of the end to me. Might take a while but unfortunately I think we'll eventually look back on this as when Nige's stay started to unravel. I doubt that JL has said anything that SL doesn't agree with.

Despite all the good that has been done I despair of the Lansdowns at times.

• Like 8

Astonishing interview. Pearson talking more like a CEO than I've heard from anyone else at this club for some time now.

For me, Pearson nailing in one sentence what we've probably all known for a while now:

"I think the club - and I’m not talking about the team now, I’m talking about the club - is still struggling to find the identity that it really wants"

Very concerning to read, really felt behind the scenes NP, SL and JL were on the same page. This article suggests perhaps not.

EDIT - Honestly, given all the hard work NP is clearly putting in day to day, JL, what are you doing? Where have you been?? Frankly, **** off.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 16
  • Robin 2

12 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Yup, certainly looks like the beginning of the end to me. Might take a while but unfortunately I think we'll eventually look back on this as when Nige's stay started to unravel. I doubt that JL has said anything that SL doesn't agree with.

Despite all the good that has been done I despair of the Lansdowns at times.

Yes, I agree. It tallies with what I suppose I've known for a while but thought it not appropriate to say. Unfortunately, we are in yet another scenario where the home truths delivered by the manager of the day have not gone down well with The Lansdowns. 

The last two managers to have a difficult relationship with The Lansdowns were SOD and Cotterill and neither lasted more than two years. 

Barring a change of ownership it'll be the same for Pearson. 

Realistically, you can't have a wannabe-successful club with everyone pulling in the same direction when your chairman (and son of owner) are in public disagreement with the manager. 

Frustrating, but entirely predictable. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

Let’s be honest, some of this does derive from the fan base. There’s discourse on here, on social media that Niges’s record isn’t good enough etc, for what it’s worth I see us as a complete rebuild job as many others do.

So it’s not a stretch to think that some of those vocal minority that spend their sad lives tweeting JL (and they do, especially at any negative result, and not all of them are trolls, sadly) have got in his head a bit. This speaks a little bit of JL if he has chosen to put that sound bite out to placate them. Because all it’s done nothing but rattle the majority of fans and annoy the manager.

That said, it could also be his genuine opinion. And if that’s the case then I truly do worry about how this club is going to be run going forward. I have always taken the rough with the smooth with the Lansdown family, and let’s be honest compared to a number of clubs we are well looked after, but we will be nothing more than we currently are if this is a dose of the reality JL believes in. 

Ultimately we could guess either way, and we will only find out when things either turn around on a sustainability front (and hopefully with it our results and position), or when the proverbial hits the fan. Either way, this, as well as other decisions coming home to roost in the last three years, has made me really question the future of the Lansdown dynasty, thankful as I am for what they’ve done on the whole, but now it does beg the question of how much we need an additional influence at board and financial level that contains better football acumen.

• Like 4

To be quite honest, Jon is entitled to an opinion as much as everybody else here is.

However that opinion for me isn't worth Jack, especially as he was one of the people who signed off on Dean Holden getting the job before Pearson!!

Should have just stayed in Bermuda and kept quiet.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

To be quite honest, Jon is entitled to an opinion as much as everybody else here is.

However that opinion for me isn't worth Jack, especially as he was one of the people who signed off on Dean Holden getting the job before Pearson!!

Should have just stayed in Bermuda and kept quiet.

I think that Holden was knowingly or unknowingly a caretaker whilst Pearson recovered from covid?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

Ok, my tin hat is on and i'm ready for the responses to this, but i do think Nige is a little bit out of order with what he said.

We can all pick holes in the mistakes made by The Lansdown family but we also need to respect what they have done for Bristol City and that they are in charge. The infrastructure that they have developed over the past decade is incredible and nobody can ever deny the money invested (i appreciate this is by Dad and not Son).

For me Nige hasn't built up enough credit in his time at the club to be saying publically what he did and undermining those above him. If you did that in many walks of life you wouldn't be around for long.

We have repeated time and time again what a poor squad he inherited but i do wonder if his recent outbursts are a deflection away from increasingly inconsistant performances and results?

The slight upturn in performances over the past dozen or so games has coincided with the return of Semenyo and the pace he brings, but most of us recognised this was lacking in the summer. I'm not sure we can put it down to a Pearson masterstroke?

Don't get me wrong, i still want him to succeed and hope he can improve us next season, but i do think we need to respect what The Lansdowns have done for the club (long before Nige arrived). 

Rant over

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

JL hasn’t got a clue. Never has and never will. What did he expect was going to happen this season exactly? How did he think it was going to be better than it is?
And what did he do to stop the ‘ing shit show that this club was in under Ashton which has caused this whole situation. Absolutely nothing, that’s what.  I’ve not been into the JL bashing that goes on sometimes as it’s not his fault he’s been born into his situation,  but it really would be best for all concerned if he just left well alone now as he has no positive influence whatsoever, although I’m under no illusion that’s what’s going to happen. Let’s hope we get sold before he ever gets anywhere near running the shop. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Ok, my tin hat is on and i'm ready for the responses to this, but i do think Nige is a little bit out of order with what he said.

We can all pick holes in the mistakes made by The Lansdown family but we also need to respect what they have done for Bristol City and that they are in charge. The infrastructure that they have developed over the past decade is incredible and nobody can ever deny the money invested (i appreciate this is by Dad and not Son).

For me Nige hasn't built up enough credit in his time at the club to be saying publically what he did and undermining those above him. If you did that in many walks of life you wouldn't be around for long.

We have repeated time and time again what a poor squad he inherited but i do wonder if his recent outbursts are a deflection away from increasingly inconsistant performances and results?

The slight upturn in performances over the past dozen or so games has coincided with the return of Semenyo and the pace he brings, but most of us recognised this was lacking in the summer. I'm not sure we can put it down to a Pearson masterstroke?

Don't get me wrong, i still want him to succeed and hope he can improve us next season, but i do think we need to respect what The Lansdowns have done for the club (long before Nige arrived). 

Rant over

How can I respect them when they brought in Ashton and LJ, and wasted all that what was built by Cotts and SoD? It still makes me so angry and extremely sad as to what could have been if the right infrastructure was put in place when we were promoted back to the Championship. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Rant over

Very reasonable post.
NP has been in football long enough to know the potential impact of what he was saying today. 
JL, probably, offered a general response to a general question at his sponsorship press conference briefing earlier this week. It was hardly a controversial view. I mean, the last time I looked we had 37pts from 32 games and have been conceding goals at a higher rate than Zimbabwean inflation and softer than summer butter. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

How can I respect them when they brought in Ashton and LJ, and wasted all that what was built by Cotts and SoD? It still makes me so angry and extremely sad as to what could have been if the right infrastructure was put in place when we were promoted back to the Championship. 

Exactly how I feel mate. 

• Like 5

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

We all make mistakes in business and football is no different. Nobody can deny that they have made errors in judgement and i'm sure Steve Lansdown would be the first to admit it but sometimes i think we have to be careful what we wish for

My view is that Pearson is doing the dirty work needed to stop the rot, and I firmly believe things are turning around slowly but surely.  I desperately want to see what he can do with another window of transfers at least.

In the other corner we have JL, who as chairman has just overseen one of the most catastrophic periods in the clubs history, somehow surpassing the absolute mess he made a decade earlier the last time daddy let him loose.  As chairman his failings are directly the reason City are “underperforming”, chiefly by letting our previous CEO assemble a costly yet ultimately disinterested squad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 4

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

We all make mistakes in business and football is no different. Nobody can deny that they have made errors in judgement and i'm sure Steve Lansdown would be the first to admit it but sometimes i think we have to be careful what we wish for

When has he admitted anything about Ashton?