IGNORED

Team for Middlesbrough

MrRedRobin

Well after the disappointment of Swansea what team are we going for Middlesbrough in an important game.

Injured players:
Max O’ Leary- Dead leg

Rob Atkinson- Calf

Matty James- Foot

Andy King- Hamstring

Callum O’ Dowda-?

Nathan Baker- Concussion

George Tanner- Hamstring

Kasey Palmer- ?

The team I would pick

Bentley

Dasilva

Kalas

Klose

Pring

Williams

Massengo

Scott

Weimann

Semenyo

Martin

Substitutes: Harvey Wiles- Richards, Wells, Cundy, Vyner, Conway, Benarous, Bell or Idhen

The formation would be a 4-3-1-2. I think Pearson will stick with a back 3 and maybe play someone like Cundy over Vyner. But with the injuries I think that is the best lineup for tomorrow. I am going for a 2-1 loss tomorrow but hopefully I am wrong. COYR

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Anyone think it's time Wells had a game?

I don't see the WSM trio being broken up unless it's due to injury. And even then I think NP would more likely go with a line-up that excluded Wells. I've never been wholly convinced by him, but there again he's never had enough of a run in the team, certainly not in his preferred position. History will no doubt chalk this up as an ill-conceived January panic buy.

Despite all the bluster there will be limited changes.

Maybe a change in shape though.

Glad to hear NP say he won't sacrifice our attacking threat to shore up the defence - I'm going tomorrow !

Bentley

Kalas     Cundy     Klose     Pring

Scott     Williams     Massengo

Weimann     Martin     Semenyo

Not my choice but can see him doing something along these lines.

22 minutes ago, Malago said:

Pearson said in the presser to expect surprises.

He said it would be an “interesting” selection.

In his pre match official press conference (not THAT one), he talked more about limited options & having to be my creative to find solutions.

My hunch is;

Bentley

Scott Kalas Cundy Klose Pring

HNM                Williams 

Weimann 

Martin         Semenyo 

Subs basically everyone else, so Vyner, Dasilva, Benarous, Wells, Conway, Bell & Wiles-Richards.

Edited by GrahamC

1 hour ago, MrRedRobin said:

Well after the disappointment of Swansea what team are we going for Middlesbrough in an important game.

Injured players:
Max O’ Leary- Dead leg and knock to knee

Rob Atkinson- Calf back on the grass

Matty James- Foot pain gone, back to training next week

Andy King- Hamstring

Callum O’ Dowda-? Knee

Nathan Baker- Concussion

George Tanner- Hamstring

Kasey Palmer- ? Knee

Ryley Towler- groin

The team I would pick

Bentley

Dasilva

Kalas

Klose

Pring

Williams

Massengo

Scott

Weimann

Semenyo

Martin

Substitutes: Harvey Wiles- Richards, Wells, Cundy, Vyner, Conway, Benarous, Bell or Idhen

The formation would be a 4-3-1-2. I think Pearson will stick with a back 3 and maybe play someone like Cundy over Vyner. But with the injuries I think that is the best lineup for tomorrow. I am going for a 2-1 loss tomorrow but hopefully I am wrong. COYR

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Glad to hear NP say he won't sacrifice our attacking threat to shore up the defence - I'm going tomorrow !

Bentley

I’m certainly expecting a new right back tomorrow…Nige seems to have alluded to this when saying Boro attack a lot down their left wing / our RB channel.  I’d err towards your back 4, but if Nige feels Cundy isn’t ready, got a sneak suspicion he might play Alex Scott at RB.  I would have no concerns with that either.

Do you either go with something like you suggest (no issues) or:

Bentley

Scott | Kalas | Klose | Pring

Williams

Massengo | Benarous

Weimann

Martin | Semenyo

Only suggesting a diamond because a few others have suggested it in the Pack thread in the transfer sub-forum.  I’m not fussy btw.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Pearson said in the presser to expect surprises.

He seems to say that after every iffy performance. 
Then he either doesn’t make many changes or realises the squad is so thin that he can’t change much. 
I reckon the closest to a surprise will be one of Cundy or Dunc Idehen coming in with maybe Kalas at right back. 
The midfield and forward line pretty much picks itself unless Williams or James suddenly have 90 mins in them. 
I’d like to see Wells in but not sure how he’d fit other than maybe replacing Martin.  

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Bentley

I think 10 of those are nailed on to start as they've all been playing ok (Pring maybe a couple of poor decisions lately and Bentley just back), not sure about Cundy though and also not sure if it will be three or four at the back. Maybe move Pring forward if its a back three. If its a back four I've no problem at all with Kalas as right back. Harsh on Dasilva despite his mistakes lately, he's done ok for a left hooker playing on the right but Kalas is a better option imo.

NP did allude to an "interesting" line up but there isn't a lot he can do to make it interesting imo. Maybe sticking Cundy in the team and Kalas right back is the interesting bit ?

Surprises and M'boro attack a lot down their right. 
I wonder if he will double up with Pring & DaSilva down the left. I'll ignore how pissed off I was with DaSilva for the goal last week, we have very few options. I think it's possible he may go something like ...

Bentley

Kalas - Kose - Pring
Scott          Williams       DaSilva
       Massengo      Weimann
            Martin - Semenyo

The options at CB are inexperienced, so can't really afford to risk moving Kalas to RB. That would be my preferred option ATM if we had the choice to go 4 at the back. I guess he could go Kalas - Klose - Pring - DaSilva , but I think that's risky too, and no one to cover in front of JD.

All we have as options are.
Wells
Cundy
Idehen
Conway
Benarous
Conway
Vyner

With the young keeper , we have just over a bench full. doesn't leave much room for many surprises really. I'd love to see Conway or Benarous start for Martin. Not going to happen though.

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I'll be disappointed if Vyner and Dasilva start, both been very poor recently.

Vyner I agree, would not even have him on the bench. Needs to be let go. We need to give some game time to Cundy and Idehen to see if they can step up to the mark in defence. Vyner had all the chances he should be given, never going to cut-it at Championship level in my opinion.

DaSilva I thought has looked pretty good since returning, esp. given been playing on the right.

17 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bentley 

Kalas Cundy Klose 

Scott. Vyner Williams Pring

Massengo 

Weimann  Semenyo

Would expect Dasilva on for Pring on 60ish mins.

And Martin could be a very effective sub last 20 or so on for Weimann. If the Semenyo - Weimann strike force is not working so well then make that change earlier.

Cundy being centre of the 3 will hopefully mean he won't have to do too much running in his first start. Rather like Klose on his first start for us.

Looks more solid to me having Massengo as the most advanced. His best performance for us away at QPR was in that role. 

And without Martin starting it still looks a team capable of dealing with set pieces.

No way in hell would I moving Scott to RM/RWB to accommodate Vyner in central midfield. Bonkers. 

Bentley; Kalas, Cundy, Klose, Pring; Scott, Williams, Massengo; Benarous, Semenyo, Weimann. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Packman said:

How long is Odowda out for? The medical experts on here said he was faking an injury.

Be willing to bet he doesn’t play for us again, Pearson said he will be out for 4-6 weeks & his contract is up this summer.

We will almost certainly be mathematically safe by then & I don’t think he will be in NP’s plans for 22/23.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Pearson moving Vyner into midfield 2nd half vs Swansea last season was a big reason we dominated and won that game. It wasn't a bonkers decision then. Vyner played well.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, and you don’t move one of your best players in that position to accommodate another square peg IMO. We’ve had enough of square pegs in round holes over the years. 

• Like 1