IGNORED

Team for Middlesbrough

MrRedRobin

Boro’s last 2 line-ups:

998BADFF-112E-4C22-9D98-CD79117C11A9.thumb.jpeg.7d8987fb4bc9f2f59a6ad293c437989c.jpeg

B48D4514-461D-475D-BE41-B387598873DE.thumb.jpeg.9d973804dd432c05908f88e7a8836d7b.jpeg

keeper and back 3 the same.  They will try to play out through McNair (LCB) whilst Dijksteel (RCB) is more in your Mark Little mould. Fry not blessed with too much pace, and maybe why he hasn’t moved to PL?

Howson, Crooks and Tavernier, a good mix, Howson the DM, sitting it in most of the time, Crooks the “Fellaini” type and Tavernier the converted winger.

Taylor at LWB, a steady player.  Jones at RWB, a real threat.

Up front they’ve mixed it up.  Whatmore likes to run in behind, Sporar more about clever movement.  Balogun a bit like “Daniel Sturbridge”, and Connolly I’ve not really seen much / anything of.

Would not surprise me if we go to some kind of back 4 today, and use Weimann and Semenyo more as wider forwards to split the 2 CBs and 2 WBs and drive them infield into a 3 man midfield and try to contest the way.  We don’t want their WBs, Jones especially, to get 1v1’s.  I think if we match them up it will be a WB v WB tussle, and I don’t think that suits us, certainly in the Pring v Jones match-up.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Assuming Pearson sticks with the Weimann in behind Martin and Semenyo combination, then I do see a possible benefit in going 41212 diamond. At least then we can still have 3 midfielders compact if Weimann is up front.

It might bring other problems we have to deal with in wide areas. But it didn't look too bad against Barnsley first half before Pearson changed the system 2nd half that then made us worse imo.

Think it could be a good formation for us moving forward. Nige has spoken about the threat they have wide, especially right side, so maybe not today.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Assuming Pearson sticks with the Weimann in behind Martin and Semenyo combination, then I do see a possible benefit in going 41212 diamond. At least then we can still have 3 midfielders compact if Weimann is up front.

It might bring other problems we have to deal with in wide areas. But it didn't look too bad against Barnsley first half before Pearson changed the system 2nd half that then made us worse imo.

Good shout!

• Like 1