IGNORED

Home to Middlesbrough match day thread

I remember it well.

That was a time in history when 8 players put the club first. We are now in a period of time when players are out and out greedy with no sign of loyalty whatsoever.

Its a shame it has taken an age for these selfless 8 be recognised.

I hope the current crop can show passion, commitment and desire to get a win against an in form Boro.

Edited by City1970
  • Like 3
  • Robin 2
54 minutes ago, TomF said:

First home game in about 3 years for me.  Feels longer

Animated GIF

Me too. I haven’t been since the shambolic battering at the hands of Blackburn. I haven’t witnessed such a lack lustre performance in years. We offered nothing going forward. And the throw in routine was at under 3 level of ?.

I vowed not to return unless we were entertaining.

I’m hoping for that. And a bit of fight and commitment. 

and a 3-1 city win.

12 hours ago, MattWSM said:

3-1 tomorrow, can feel it. Semenyo, Scott and Martin

Their match day thread is already 13 pages long (it started on Tuesday). https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13090-bristol-city-vs-middlesbrough/

They differ in their opinions of today's probable result;    "3 nil defeat. That is all."  "1-3 away win,"   "Of all the games so far this causes me the greatest concerns because BC are tricky little blighters when it comes to playing Boro, others may brush them aside but no not us"     

I was born in Middlesbrough in 65- Dad worked at Avonmouth but transferred to Teeside for a couple of years before moving back. So he and his mates were among those who adopted and watched the North Koreans in 66. They did unbelievably well and reached the quarters, but the lunatics who ran (and run) North Korea considered this a shameful failure and shipped most of the squad off too labour camps when they returned. This is still a subject of real sadness to people like Dad who bought into the plucky underdog story of NK at the 66 World Cup.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Me too. I haven’t been since the shambolic battering at the hands of Blackburn. I haven’t witnessed such a lack lustre performance in years. We offered nothing going forward. And the throw in routine was at under 3 level of ?.

I vowed not to return unless we were entertaining.

I’m hoping for that. And a bit of fight and commitment. 

and a 3-1 city win.

Nothing changed in that department then.

1 minute ago, Brann-red said:

Apparently 1800 boro fans coming down also.  Very decent away support 

In the early 70's there was a fleet of 19 coaches carrying fans from Middlesbrough. The Police stopped them routinely and found many of the occupants were carrying axes etc. As a result the entire fleet was turned round. They then stopped at Coventry and ran riot in their city centre before making their way to Highfield Road.

After all these years, did those axe carriers single out this game or was it routine for them back then?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, 22A said:

In the early 70's there was a fleet of 19 coaches carrying fans from Middlesbrough. The Police stopped them routinely and found many of the occupants were carrying axes etc. As a result the entire fleet was turned round. They then stopped at Coventry and ran riot in their city centre before making their way to Highfield Road.

After all these years, did those axe carriers single out this game or was it routine for them back then?

Maybe it's time to bury the hatchet?

• Flames 2
6 minutes ago, 22A said:

It was a strange incident. I remember it as 13 coaches, not being pedantic. The only time I remember there actually being a hatchet used was against SUFC. Ahh! the good old days.

28 minutes ago, 22A said:

Remember that, it was on the front page of the Sunday Mirror the next day.

14 minutes ago, Rich said:

It was a strange incident. I remember it as 13 coaches, not being pedantic. The only time I remember there actually being a hatchet used was against SUFC. Ahh! the good old days.

I am ‘glad’ you recall the Sheffield United ‘hatchet incident’.

My recollection is that it happened just before kickoff in the East End, when a City fan was screaming that he had been hit on the head with an axe.

Whilst I witnessed the almighty fight, I didn’t see the actual incident itself, although I saw the immediate aftermath.

What I do recall is nobody believing me after when I told them what had happened.

A very similar incident occurred a few seasons later after an evening match against Portsmouth.

There was a big fight in the road crossing over to where Portsmouth’s coaches were parked and, again, a City fan was screaming he had been hit with an axe.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, 22A said:

In the same vein (note that I could be wrong about this as it was late 80’s or early 90’s & my memory isn’t what it used to be) but when I used to play local league level on a Saturday afternoon, I seem to remember playing in Ashton Park when City were at home to Middlesbrough (I think). During the game fans from both City & Boro basically stormed the pitch as they were battling.

Both teams in the game I was playing in ended up in the 2 goals while all this was going on & we lost most of the balls for our game too - it was a bit scary at the time but funny looking back at it now ?