IGNORED

Home to Middlesbrough match day thread

An odd one - in some ways we were unlucky to not get the clean sheet, in other ways we were lucky to only concede one. We were definitely much more solid defensively around the penalty area and in getting men behind the ball, closing down shots etc. However, I think we are not great at maintaining possession and defending when the ball is in the middle of the park. Maybe thats a side effect of having players who are good on the counter, but i'd like to see the ball stick there a little more, and to control that part of the pitch a little more. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, westonred said:

You got to laugh at all the moaners on here when the team was announced Scott playing RWB is a wasted talent does NP know what he's doing NP Tombola again well NP got it spot on today so eat some humble pie lads

You won’t see the anti’s or the ambivalent’s for an hour or three. Need to regain their composure. Btw wonder if our ? of a Chairman expected that bastard?

• Confused 1

Wow! For once an opposing fan not saying City were lucky; 

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13090-bristol-city-vs-middlesbrough-2-1-crooks/page/40/#comments

Well that was a weird game! After a bright first 5 minutes or so, Boro got caught on the hop and conceded early on. After Weimann's goal we just seemed to lose our shape and attacking intent. Overall a pretty miserable first half. As bad as the first 45 was, Boro were immeasurably better in the second half...to an extent. As the stats show, we enjoyed more possession, had plenty of goal attempts and won set pieces. Unfortunately we just couldn't convert those chances into goals. When Robins' keeper Bentley wasn't pulling off saves, Boro contrived to mess up by shooting wider or high, or else messing up the final ball (or not playing it). We did a lot of things right...but just couldn't convert our periods of dominance into goals. At least not until the last minute of normal time when we finally took a good corner that Crooks was able to guide into the net. As usual our defence looked shaky and this time we were up against a team with an attack that made us pay for our defensive lapses. Two very similar teams in that respect - potent attacks but fragile defences. While Boro didn't deserve to win today, I don't think a draw would have been terribly unfair. But we failed to take our chances and also defended poorly, so getting nothing is probably fair.

• Like 4

Boro forum:

Ah crap. That was a nice passage of play from Bristol there. Our defence should have done better. Lumley looking stupid just stood there with his hands in the air while the ball goes through his legs.

Against the run of play that. But they're there to be got at, I can see us scoring a few against them.

Great finish, but Tav needed to be stronger there!

I was thinking did I miss something? Weimann absolutely belted it. Was a great shot, Lumley would have done well to save it.

Did we end up walking to Bristol overnight to avoid the storm, we look tired and devoid of ideas, Bristol winning 90 percent of the challenges and second ball

Kalas put some chunk on 

How have we not scored yet

Have we made their keeper make a save yet?

We've been the dominant team for the majority of that half, just not scoring. They had one opportunity which came from a mistake, and took it very well.

Two chances two goals for them. Sickener

We are making leaky Bristol look like Fort Knox on steroids. 

Another ridiculous goal to concede. We’re terrible today in defence and attack. 

Bristol City are a *** team, why do we always lose to them. Football isn’t a hard game you see a teams strengths you neutralise there’s and increase yours yet we always lose to *** Bristol City!

If we swapped keeper we'd have won this 6 nowt

BC showboating now!

That would have been an absolute stunner from Semenyo if it had went in

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL Crooksy, surely too late though

Connolly with a nice curling shot. Good catch by the keeper.

Thought we had a lot of everything today. But BC had the luck. I get that Lumley is not a fans favorite but I dont think he could have done much about either goal. 

We had 10 shots on target and scored 1. Bristol had 5 and scored 2. If you don't take your chances, you don't deserve to win. Though Bristol do owe a big debt to Bentley's saves. Wish Boro had a keeper of that calibre.

I'd have backed Bentley to save at least one of their goals

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Lack of concentration seems to be half the problem.

Il not sure. We’ve definitely been guilty of that at times - Luton for example.

When you’re doing that much defending and under that much pressure it’s a huge drain on energy levels, especially mentally.

13 corners and they only won the header once, the goal, press enough times and somethings going to give eventually.

looks like Cundy should have went for it, new into the game not sure his man perhaps?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Il not sure. We’ve definitely been guilty of that at times - Luton for example.

When you’re doing that much defending and under that much pressure it’s a huge drain on energy levels, especially mentally.

13 corners and they only won the header once, the goal, press enough times and somethings going to give eventually.

looks like Cundy should have went for it, new into the game not sure his man perhaps?

Agree with all that. Goal highlights inevitably highlight what went wrong on goals conceded. If there is enough times the ball is in your box, luck, a lack of concentration, just tiredness start to come in to play. The highlights will not show the 12 corners we got right.

18 hours ago, City1970 said:

I remember it well.

That was a time in history when 8 players put the club first. We are now in a period of time when players are out and out greedy with no sign of loyalty whatsoever.

Its a shame it has taken an age for these selfless 8 be recognised.

I hope the current crop can show passion, commitment and desire to get a win against an in form Boro.

Well done the club, especially Scott Davison for organising a fantastic tribute to 8 selfless players.

well done City for a fabulous team performance. There was passion, commitment and desire to beat an in form Boro.

I could not have asked for more. Well done for a great atmosphere.

Edited by City1970
  • Like 6
  • Robin 1
7 minutes ago, 22A said:

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/topic/13090-bristol-city-vs-middlesbrough-2-1-crooks/page/40/#comments

Well that was a weird game! After a bright first 5 minutes or so, Boro got caught on the hop and conceded early on. After Weimann's goal we just seemed to lose our shape and attacking intent. Overall a pretty miserable first half. As bad as the first 45 was, Boro were immeasurably better in the second half...to an extent. As the stats show, we enjoyed more possession, had plenty of goal attempts and won set pieces. Unfortunately we just couldn't convert those chances into goals. When Robins' keeper Bentley wasn't pulling off saves, Boro contrived to mess up by shooting wider or high, or else messing up the final ball (or not playing it). We did a lot of things right...but just couldn't convert our periods of dominance into goals. At least not until the last minute of normal time when we finally took a good corner that Crooks was able to guide into the net. As usual our defence looked shaky and this time we were up against a team with an attack that made us pay for our defensive lapses. Two very similar teams in that respect - potent attacks but fragile defences. While Boro didn't deserve to win today, I don't think a draw would have been terribly unfair. But we failed to take our chances and also defended poorly, so getting nothing is probably fair.

You could read that about a number of our last ten games. 

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Btw you’ve gotta say well done to Sam Bell for doing a job.

I thought he did really well. I expressed my concern earlier as he was so untried. I didn't want him to be the next scapegoat if he had a poor game and damage his confidence and the fans opinions of him, some are very unforgiving. 

• Like 1

Great performance my favourite match of the season so far.

Defence threw themselves at everything  and were disciplined for the most part.

Kalas/Klose/Williams shower the experienced leadership we need consistently.

Glad Bentley was back in goal and he made some crucial saves.

Semenyo wow he is coming along superbly.

For me someone who won’t probably get many plaudits was Chris Martin- his back to goal play today was excellent and he linked things nicely with the younger more energetic players.

Really enjoying these home performances lately.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought he did really well. I expressed my concern earlier as he was so untried. I didn't want him to be the next scapegoat if he had a poor game and damage his confidence and the fans opinions of him, some are very unforgiving. 

Did what he was asked to do well and made an important contribution. Well done

Hopefully that will put Jon back into his box (With some lego to keep him busy) for a while

Im still getting my head around the ‘Chairman’ whose overseen the policies and decisions to get us in this mess criticising the one bloke who we have some hope of sorting it out

** Jon should go on Alan Sugars ‘The Apprentice’ - hed fit in well with the Standard of candidates , they select to make for good ridicule 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, 22A said:

Crikey, if their defence is fragile (31 conceded, 4th best in the Championship) what is ours (59 conceded, 3rd worst)?

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Hopefully that will put Jon back into his box (With some lego to keep him busy) for a while

Im still getting my head around the ‘Chairman’ whose overseen the policies and decisions to get us in this mess criticising the one bloke who we have some hope of sorting it out

** Jon should go on Alan Sugars ‘The Apprentice’ - hed fit in well with the Standard of candidates , they select to make for good ridicule 

Shame you can't just enjoy a great win, instead of picking on (bullying) other posters who sometimes have different views than you.