IGNORED

Home to Middlesbrough match day thread

It’s not vintage stuff, but it’s a tenacious, committed first half performance with solid resolute defending.

Our goal coming from Semenyo’s strength again, laying off brilliantly for Weimann’s powerful finish.

Boro neat and tidy, especially around the box. Despite a series of corners at end of half, their best chance coming from a loose Massengo back pass, leaving Connelly 1 on 1 with Bentley but he couldn’t round him. 

Has the feeling of a game where a little Wilder half time team talk and tactical tweak will see them causing us more problems in the second half…

Williams a terrier (please don’t get a second booking) and Klose clearing many a high ball well.

Scott having another quiet game for me - Bell with one or two runs but loose in possession too often, but doing OK. Jay fairly quiet, Martin winning a few headers that weren’t anticipated by those around him.

Hopefully Semenyo will have a few chances on the break in the second half.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

We're gunna end with a red. 

What was Scott booked for?? 

Grabbed the winger as he was making a run off the ball I think.

Williams on a yellow worries me as he likes a tackle too much, and playing where he is making last ditch tackles.

Pretty good first half. Great start (after a shaky couple of minutes). Boro growing into it, targeting Bents / putting it on the goal at corners but we’ve defended solidly

We look threatening going forward but final ball/key pass is lacking too often

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Interesting half

Both teams not really doing the do, prety drab goal aside. 

Boro no shooting boots, but still causing havoc. 

Sam Bell, Williams, Klose Semenyo having awesome games 

Funny how we see thing differently. I’ve really enjoyed the first half and have been pretty impressed with city. We’ve got some very young players and we’re going toe to toe with a team that are on a good run. 

• Like 1

Great first half until the last 10 mins or so which has made me realise maybe why we struggle so much, we're great at counter attacking so obviously at our first opportunity we go bounding up to counter in attempt to get a goal but that means we tend to make our attacks swift and short which prevents our opposition from feeling pressured. The last ten minutes of that half showed us what we're missing, the ability to hold the ball in the oppositions final third and create pressure as well as win the ball back higher up the pitch. 
I think Pearson needs to add another dimension to our game which is the ability to take the ball up on the counter but keep the ball in the final third and make the opposition uncomfortable, as much as we look dangerous at times I don't feel Middlesbrough feel pressured when we attack, it's a quick panic and it either materialises or dissipates at which point we instantly forced into panic mode as they push onto us in numbers.

What I've mentioned also explains why we concede so much, I'd be interesting to see the stats of how much time we spend in our own final third without possession. I think our defenders probably come under more pressure per game than some teams may come under in 2-3. Once we have that confidence to play the ball around outside of our own half and keep the opposition on the back foot I think we'd see our defending improve a lot too as the defence wouldn't be under pressure for such long periods of play.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Great first half until the last 10 mins or so which has made me realise maybe why we struggle so much, we're great at counter attacking so obviously at our first opportunity we go bounding up to counter in attempt to get a goal but that means we tend to make our attacks swift and short which prevents our opposition from feeling pressured. The last ten minutes of that half showed us what we're missing, the ability to hold the ball in the oppositions final third and create pressure as well as win the ball back higher up the pitch. 
I think Pearson needs to add another dimension to our game which is the ability to take the ball up on the counter but keep the ball in the final third and make the opposition uncomfortable, as much as we look dangerous at times I don't feel Middlesbrough feel pressured when we attack, it's a quick panic and it either materialises or dissipates at which point we instantly forced into panic mode as they push onto us in numbers.

What I've mentioned also explains why we concede so much, I'd be interesting to see the stats of how much time we spend in our own final third without possession. I think our defenders probably come under more pressure per game than some teams may come under in 2-3. Once we have that confidence to play the ball around outside of our own half and keep the opposition on the back foot I think we'd see our defending improve a lot too as the defence wouldn't be under pressure for such long periods of play.

Good point, half our problem is not necessarily the quality of the defenders, but the amount of defending we have to do…

Strange game to comment on, one moment of brilliance but we havnt really created many other chances. Boro look dangerous when they break the lines but then final ball is lacking. But we are going toe to toe against one of form teams in division so it’s a good start. However we’ve said this numerous times and lost so many points from being infront! I don’t see this game ending 1-0……. 

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

It’s not vintage stuff, but it’s a tenacious, committed first half performance with solid resolute defending.

Our goal coming from Semenyo’s strength again, laying off brilliantly for Weimann’s powerful finish.

Boro neat and tidy, especially around the box. Despite a series of corners at end of half, their best chance coming from a loose Massengo back pass, leaving Connelly 1 on 1 with Bentley but he couldn’t round him. 

Has the feeling of a game where a little Wilder half time team talk and tactical tweak will see them causing us more problems in the second half…

Williams a terrier (please don’t get a second booking) and Klose clearing many a high ball well.

Scott having another quiet game for me - Bell with one or two runs but loose in possession too often, but doing OK. Jay fairly quiet, Martin winning a few headers that weren’t anticipated by those around him.

Hopefully Semenyo will have a few chances on the break in the second half.

I wouldn't want to wait too long to swap Pring on for Dasilva....

• Like 1