IGNORED

Bentley. Bristol’s Number 1.

cityexile

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Yep looking back now it’s absolutely crazy why he’s been sat on the bench. Sure he has the odd mistake but he wins us WAY more points that he costs us. Ffs Nige don’t drop him again because the drop off in quality is huge…. Felt a lot safer with him in there today. 

Nige said "he knows the rules" when he dropped him so I don't think it was for what he was doing on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Negan said:

Yep looking back now it’s absolutely crazy why he’s been sat on the bench. Sure he has the odd mistake but he wins us WAY more points that he costs us. Ffs Nige don’t drop him again because the drop off in quality is huge…. Felt a lot safer with him in there today. 

It's called competition for places. 

Now we just need it in every other position too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Boro had 10 shots on target today (which is shocking in itself). We concede more than 1 with O’Leary in goal.

You are spot on. Bentley makes saves that O’Leary just doesn’t seem to be able to reach. 

Taking ball skills and kicking out of it, Bentley is fundamentally a better goalkeeper than O’Leary by some distance. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Nige said "he knows the rules" when he dropped him so I don't think it was for what he was doing on the pitch.

That’s a rumour that’s been discussed several times, I don’t think there was anything off-field just a turn of phrase.

Ive been one to knock those who said he was good enough for England, I still think that’s silly talk, but certainly more than good enough for us 

Good interview from him after on the radio too.

• Like 3

There were some unanswered questions about Max at Champ level up to 10 games ago. This run has been very good to show everyone where his ability lies and that is League One. No shame in that at all but hopefully it means we can plan clearly for the summer.

Bentley, whilst nothing more than average Champ keeper, should definitely be our number one for the rest of the season. 

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It's called competition for places. 

Now we just need it in every other position too. 

Yep 

27 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's amazing how clueless people are.

He was massively off form when he was dropped. We'll see if it worked over the next few games 

Yep.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

This. Anything Max can do, Bentley can do. That can’t be said the other way around. 

That was very much a "Bentley" game. Reminiscent of the wins away to Forest or home to Huddersfield last season. Load of shots against, we threatened a little but mostly on the counter. A game where you need a keeper to be on it. I'm glad Bents was in today.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It's amazing how clueless people are.

He was massively off form when he was dropped. We'll see if it worked over the next few games 

How many games did O'Leary play, and how many goals did he concede?

In the same number of games before Bentley was dropped, how many did he concede?

Just now, Chivs said:

How many games did O'Leary play, and how many goals did he concede?

In the same number of games before Bentley was dropped, how many did he concede?

I don't think that is fair. You have to take everything into account, with opposition, formation on the day, who was playing in front of him etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Wonder if we'll look back on this period as actually a really good bit of man management from Pearson?

Tbf , exactly what I would expect from Pearson

I can imagine him 

if you are not on form , you won’t make the eleven , even my chosen skipper , I don’t have  ‘favourites’ , I aim to treat everyone fairly , and the same ‘

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Tbf , exactly what I would expect from Pearson

I can imagine him 

if you are not on form , you won’t make the eleven , even my chosen skipper , I don’t have  ‘favourites’ , I aim to treat everyone fairly , and the same ‘

Yep, I think it's obvious that was what was meant by "the rules apply to everyone" or whatever it was he said at the time. Bentley hadn't been playing well so Max was given a chance to show what he could do.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, I think it's obvious that was what was meant by "the rules apply to everyone" or whatever it was he said at the time. Bentley hadn't been playing well so Max was given a chance to show what he could do.

Absolutely - was always pretty clear to me

Listening to DB post match he was buzzing and very ‘focused’ - I wonder whether NP thought he needed a bit of a dig in the ribs and sharpening up 

If players see everyone treated the same it doesn’t half help overall squad spirit , the younger players see and think ‘If he can drop the skipper he will drop anyone if we are not on our game’

Never too many complaints in any team if everyone is treated on the same basis (or ‘rules’)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That was very much a "Bentley" game. Reminiscent of the wins away to Forest or home to Huddersfield last season. Load of shots against, we threatened a little but mostly on the counter. A game where you need a keeper to be on it. I'm glad Bents was in today.

No, it’s not reminiscent of the Huddersfield game which was a total embarrassment that we won.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Was quality today. And showed that if he is told to play it short then he will do like he did under Holden start of last season.

People have short memories, it was his distribution ( when instructed or has the options! ), that was the reason he was brought in, in the first place. Good goalkeeper at this level. COYR 

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, it’s not reminiscent of the Huddersfield game which was a total embarrassment that we won.

I was quite particular with my choice of words. Reminiscent does not mean 'exactly the same', rather 'tending to remind one of something'. So yes, the Huddersfield game was a level worse than today, but today was reminiscent of that match.

Anyway, the thread is about Bentley, who I thought played well given it was his first full 90 for quite a while. I don't think his distribution was particularly poor, and certainly no poorer than Max's has been. With O'Leary injured Bentley will of course continue in goal for a while, but I think he'd have been brought back in, and stayed in, regardless.