IGNORED

Antoine

GrahamC

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why is everyone on here obsessed with him going?  I am aware that he is a special talent, but as soon as we unearth a quality player, all anyone want to talk about is how much he will fetch?  I can see him staying next season, and then possibly/probably leaving?  He seems a really level headed and modest guy, who I cannot see having his head turned by the promises of the riches available, and I think he will leave when he feels the time is right?    Can we enjoy his talent while he is here, rather than constantly attaching a price tag to his shirt?

Because other talented young players have been sold  Reid, Bryan and Kelly most recently in order to balance the books and now with FFP regulations the financial situation remains even more delicate.

City have several assets with HNM, Semenyo, Pring and Scott and we all know that Nige has to sell in order to buy and if only one of them goes this summer I hope it’s HNM as City have enough decent midfielders to fill the vacancy. I’d be very difficult to replace Semenyo - good strikers are always expensive as hard to find.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, David Brent said:

What was his background before coming to us? Am I right in thinking he’s not been around a youth academy as such? 

Credit to him, and Nigel, for his rise this season. Frightening how good he’s been 

He was signed from SGS College in Filton and yes he'd never been in a professional football academy previously.    

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-scouting-next-semenyo-6047340

28 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He was signed from SGS College in Filton and yes he'd never been in a professional football academy previously.    

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-scouting-next-semenyo-6047340

I think this is part of what makes him so exciting. He’s missed out on all those years of good level coaching meaning that his trajectory now is very steep… a little Vardyesque you could say. 

Just seen his goal from yesterday for the first time… wow! ? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maxjak said:

Why is everyone on here obsessed with him going?  I am aware that he is a special talent, but as soon as we unearth a quality player, all anyone want to talk about is how much he will fetch?  I can see him staying next season, and then possibly/probably leaving?  He seems a really level headed and modest guy, who I cannot see having his head turned by the promises of the riches available, and I think he will leave when he feels the time is right?    Can we enjoy his talent while he is here, rather than constantly attaching a price tag to his shirt?

I also find that mentality rather negative and annoying. I think it must be self preservation to a degree - ie people not wanting to let themselves get too excited and invested in a promising player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Because other talented young players have been sold  Reid, Bryan and Kelly most recently in order to balance the books and now with FFP regulations the financial situation remains even more delicate.

City have several assets with HNM, Semenyo, Pring and Scott and we all know that Nige has to sell in order to buy and if only one of them goes this summer I hope it’s HNM as City have enough decent midfielders to fill the vacancy. I’d be very difficult to replace Semenyo - good strikers are always expensive as hard to find.

Major differences between now and then being we now have a manager with a backbone and a CEO who wants to keep our best players.

All Ashton cared about was doing deals and taking his cut IMO. I think we’ve got more of a plan under the current regime, rather than selling off the family china without having replacements in already. 

22 minutes ago, tin said:

Major differences between now and then being we now have a manager with a backbone and a CEO who wants to keep our best players.

All Ashton cared about was doing deals and taking his cut IMO. I think we’ve got more of a plan under the current regime, rather than selling off the family china without having replacements in already. 

It comes from SLs ‘sustainability’ policy and that’s the same now as it was when LJ and Smarmy Ashton were at AG.

I daresay that LJ wanted to keep Kelly but his head was turned by B’muff and by at least doubling his wages. The same will apply with Nige - he’s quite aware that he needs to sell to buy and some of our assets will go whether he likes it or not. If any bids come in for any of our assets from a PL outfit then no-one can blame them if their heads get turned.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I don't think Nige or the club, will deny anyone a P/L club move we just need to be more astute in the financial elements of the transfer.

I think it`s been a `selling point` with getting promising young players to sign for us over the years. They are told that if they make it and a PL club comes in for them we will not stand in their way provided the price is right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It comes from SLs ‘sustainability’ policy and that’s the same now as it was when LJ and Smarmy Ashton were at AG.

I daresay that LJ wanted to keep Kelly but his head was turned by B’muff and by at least doubling his wages. The same will apply with Nige - he’s quite aware that he needs to sell to buy and some of our assets will go whether he likes it or not. If any bids come in for any of our assets from a PL outfit then no-one can blame them if their heads get turned.

10 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I don't think Nige or the club, will deny anyone a P/L club move we just need to be more astute in the financial elements of the transfer.

I think it’s slightly more nuanced than that though. 

I read NPs comments the other day as suggesting that our strategy HAS changed and that it’s no longer explicitly about cashing in on players wherever possible. That there’s more emphasis on trying to retain and build on successful players.

I don’t deny for a moment the points you’re making, but for the players some of that comes from the culture at the club. If they know that they are being bought cheap in order to sell for as much profit as possible then they will inevitably have little buy in to the club and their heads will get turned.

I thought that NPs aspiration was to convince players that they can be part of something special at Ashton Gate, and to make them want to stay here. Easier said than done, I’m sure, but a slightly different and more hopeful aspiration I think anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, tin said:

Agreed. I think if we do sell, it’s very unlikely we will sell to a competitor in the division unless the offer is absurd. This seems to be a bit of a red line for Pearson based on his comments in January and rightly so.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. I think if we do sell, it’s very unlikely we will sell to a competitor in the division unless the offer is absurd. This seems to be a bit of a red line for Pearson based on his comments in January and rightly so.

And much easier to explain to an under contract player than if a PL team comes in. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

I agree, out of the quartet of talent,   as much as i love HNM, I believe he will be the least missed?   I really hope he stays, and you never know.............if Webster or Kelly should move for big money in the summer, a windfall could come our way without any need to cash in on our young talent?   Here's hoping?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Because other talented young players have been sold  Reid, Bryan and Kelly most recently in order to balance the books...

Genuine question Robbored, what is ‘young’ in football terms? Reid was 25 when we sold him and Bryan was 24 - does that make them ‘young players’ that we sold? Interesting debate ...

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What impresses me about him, is how he puts defenders on their ass, with great ease.

Hes got that down to a fine art.

Since hes come back, been the best in the leauge.

Hes obviously put a lot of hard work in, full credit to him.

In his last 8 games he's scored 5 and got 5 assists.

It may not have seemed it at the time, but the cloud over his time out injured turned out to have a silver lining.

Edited by bcfc01

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

What impresses me about him, is how he puts defenders on their ass, with great ease.

Hes got that down to a fine art.

Since hes come back, been the best in the leauge.

Hes obviously put a lot of hard work in, full credit to him.

Way he went past the Middlesbrough defender was excellent for the assist.

Strong blend of physique and technique evident there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Way he went past the Middlesbrough defender was excellent for the assist.

Strong blend of physique and technique evident there.

There was one occasion where he actually came off worse against Johnny Howson…I was a bit shocked.  Was around the h-w line.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

AS does push and shove a lot, got booked on Saturday I think, but that is part of his game, hounding the defenders. Though I was looking at Martin and he had a Boro defenders arm over the top of him and pulling him down , in every challenge, and that is not a foul. I don't get the rules . If Antoine can keep up the progress, and there are areas he still has to work on, next season will be very exciting. 

You’re spot on, but Martin is no mug at that sort of stuff either.

He’s played the last 11 straight seasons of Championship football & learned when to put enough of a challenge in not to get penalised & when you just have to pick up a yellow. Got away brilliantly with one on the half way line on Saturday where a slight pull on their player broke up their break & stopped the game.

The amount of headers he wins for his height is just remarkable (always against someone considerably taller than him) & his hold up & link play are Nicky Morgan good..

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

AS does push and shove a lot, got booked on Saturday I think, but that is part of his game, hounding the defenders. Though I was looking at Martin and he had a Boro defenders arm over the top of him and pulling him down , in every challenge, and that is not a foul. I don't get the rules . If Antoine can keep up the progress, and there are areas he still has to work on, next season will be very exciting. 

Think that's just down to the terrible officiating we know and love! ?

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You’re spot on, but Martin is no mug at that sort of stuff either.

He’s played the last 11 straight seasons of Championship football & learned when to put enough of a challenge in not to get penalised & when you just have to pick up a yellow. Got away brilliantly with one on the half way line on Saturday where a slight pull on their player broke up their break & stopped the game.

The amount of headers he wins for his height is just remarkable (always against someone considerably taller than him) & his hold up & link play are Nicky Morgan good..

Not to make you feel old, but Nicky Morgan was 30 years ago now.