IGNORED

Ashton gate old floodlights

sticks 1969

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Can take the credit for this picture as it was sent over by a mate who went to Bideford  fc yesterday 

6A6D240D-E404-484B-A91A-BC4BAA9343BA.jpeg

These are not City’s old floodlights. The difference is obvious when you see the photo below. 

07D5B9F7-59BA-4DB5-AE57-EE9F657B6D6A.jpeg

• Robin 1

So, I’ve just messaged the chap who took the photo. 
He has no idea (and to be honest, doesn’t particularly care ?), but said “well, you’d better tell the Bideford chairman that then!”

Seems Bideford think they came from City, but then I’ve also found a Trip Advisor review which suggests someone was told they were from Sheffield United. 

The plot thickens……

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

The ex wife's uncle is Chairman of Bideford Town, used to have a good crack watching them, nothing like grass roots footy. They absolutely ****ing hate Barnstaple 

I hate Barnstaple too…got gobbed at by one of their fans whilst warming up.

2 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I can remember when we had floodlights all around the pitch and they all were turned on individually 

Correct and that's what I consider "the old floodlights". Could even lower the whole floodlight to the ground when not required so as they didn't block the view of the pitch. Tried to find a photo of them but couldn't. No doubt someone will.

Not sure where they went when the four corner ones were installed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 22A said:

The first opponents under all three of the first set of floodlights were Wolves. The first time, in the 50's they were invited down. The next two times was the luck of the fixture list.

Yes. I remember that game, wasn't there over 33,000 there when they opened the last set of flood lights. I was in the old east end and was so squeezed in I could hardly move.   Can't remember the score after all this time, but I remember being very uncomfortable.

45 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Correct and that's what I consider "the old floodlights". Could even lower the whole floodlight to the ground when not required so as they didn't block the view of the pitch. Tried to find a photo of them but couldn't. No doubt someone will.

Where those individual lights given to Bath City?

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

6C71AC61-A01C-4E40-B7AA-BF897EE860FD.thumb.png.ec30555000b990dcecbc376cd595a6e3.png

6 minutes ago, fanjita said:

3B045E9A-978C-412A-A089-4E34D2CB32AD.thumb.jpeg.57264c77ed3e0e6cbd46a5cef2af1b6c.jpeg

Moving from the floodlights - the four corner pylons were just classic style - to dividing railings.

I didn’t think the dividers went in on the Park End until after the Stoke City match, where there was a bit of a rumpus, the first home game in Division One.

This photo seems to pre date that match, as I’m sure we had pylon floodlights by then. 

We’ll be on to the Souvenir shops next!

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Moving from the floodlights - the four corner pylons were just classic style - to dividing railings.

I didn’t think the dividers went in on the Park End until after the Stoke City match, where there was a bit of a rumpus, the first home game in Division One.

This photo seems to pre date that match, as I’m sure we had pylon floodlights by then. 

We’ll be on to the Souvenir shops next!

If you look carefully you can see two sets of railings and I believe these lined the inclined ramp at the Ashton Rd entrance ( now to the Dolman Stand ) adjacent to Crackers Corner. A bit of an optical illusion.

• Like 1

An update from the owner of the original picture which started this thread. 
Sat next to him again this evening and queried why he thought they were City’s old floodlights. 
He’d heard someone mention it on the way to the ground and upon arrival, he ended up chatting to a chap who ended up being the Bideford chairman. 
Upon asking, it was the Bideford chairman who said that they were City’s old lights (and apparently there is a plaque as well - although he didn’t see this). 

Having informed him of this thread, he has promised to write a letter to Bideford and ask them to clear up this very important issue ?

• Like 1