IGNORED

The famous Jimmy Mann goal

Alan Dicks

Roxy Music's "Angel Eyes" always transports me back to that time, the early autumn of 1979, when we were a top class club, before we began to fall apart, to a season I started going fairly regularly. 

Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" does the same. And Dave Edmunds "Cruel To Be Kind," and, er, Cliff's "We Don't Talk Anymore." Amongst a few others.

Good football, great pop music: 1979.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

No this was a league game on a Saturday but I’m glad you mention the league cup.

It was a rare evening game for me, as I lived 60 miles away and Gerry Sweeney scored an absolute peach and hardly anyone remembers it compared to Mann’s goal.

It was at the other end and Sweeney had been getting loads of stick from a section of the crowd near me, that certainly shut them up. I’m presuming it was also Shilton but can’t remember for sure.

We drew 1-1 and lost the replay if I remember correctly. I’d love to see it again. 

Was the Sweeney goal a delicate chip? If so we have it!

6 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, my memory is of him over on the Dolman side, edge of the box at the open end but I haven’t seen it since the night or maybe the night after on Points West.

I’d love to see it.

Ill post it onto our Twitter when I release the Sweeney & Tainton episode of Robins Reunited… next week (ish) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Roxy Music's "Angel Eyes" always transports me back to that time, the early autumn of 1979, when we were a top class club, before we began to fall apart, to a season I started going fairly regularly. 

Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" does the same. And Dave Edmunds "Cruel To Be Kind," and, er, Cliff's "We Don't Talk Anymore." Amongst a few others.

Good football, great pop music: 1979.

You mean Nick Lowe, Dave Edmonds had Girl Talk out at that time .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Back in the day as a 23 year old I used to frequent the Mall pub in Clifton and got talking to a barmaid from Port Elizabeth in S Africa I started talking about my love for city and she said to me that she had never ever seen a football match in her life, I said city were playing that weekend and would she like to come with me, we both stood in the old enclosure and she was really getting into the spirit of things, when Jimmy scored we both went ballistic despite her never having seen a game before, she told me after that going to the game  had been one of the best things she had ever done. I told her at the time that she had probably just witnessed one of the greatest goals ever scored at Ashton Gate, That was 43 years ago, I often wonder whether she ever tells people of that afternoon, personally it's not something I will ever forget and feel privileged to have witnessed it first hand, this video is the first time I have actually seen the goal again after 43 years, it looks just as good as I remember it, just for once that's not just through rose tinted spectacles.    

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

My old man has always gone on about this goal, he reckons he was directly behind the ball's travel as it went in. I've tried to find this for years and years, finally I get to see it.

It was alright I suppose... :laugh:

I don’t know what the crowd was that day. But 50% of them were crammed into one spot directly behind the goal when that flew in ??

22 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Was that a league cup game?

Im sure l seen him score a screamer into the open end goal v NF in a midweek game

No it was a league game on a Saturday

Like Jimmy that was the first time I had seen that since the day itself. 

I was in the Dolman completely square with where he hit it from. The video because it was being taken from the grandstand gantry and slightly behind didn’t give enough justice to the power of the hit.

Anyway I’ve been waiting 43 years to see that again. Made my day!!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

So why was it in black and white?

As Dave said ⬆️ , I read it was cleaned up footage from JP.
Compared to the Man U 3-0 win, it's very good, I assume they are from the same batch.
I wish the club would do more of these if they are available.

• Like 2

I have been wondering what the score is with Jimmy Mann & / or his family not part taking in the the Ashton 8 celebrations. Is there a specific reason for this?

Its been brushed over somewhat but there is one pic of the Ashton 6 plus I assume Chris Garland’s son in the changing room holding their shirts up whilst the Mann shirt is just left on the peg. All a bit sad really.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As Dave said ⬆️ , I read it was cleaned up footage from JP.
Compared to the Man U 3-0 win, it's very good, I assume they are from the same batch.
I wish the club would do more of these if they are available.

Did we ever beat manu 3/0?

Not trying to be picky but the best i can remember is 3/1 at Old Trafford. Probably just my shite memory.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I assume it was filmed by Jonathan Pearce’s dad, rather than “the tv”…maybe he only had b&w???

Would filming by the Pearces have commentary and line ups, with score etc? Maybe they filmed it and it was sent for TV release? Or maybe it was filmed by a TV company? 

This gives some insight...

Although his father was a rugby man, Jonathan loved football and all he wanted to do was play for Bristol City. Jonathan’s father was a progressive man who believed in giving youth opportunities, and he worked as a Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering. The family lived on the same road as Bristol City manager Alan Dicks, and through him Jonathan’s father became involved with the club, taking on responsibility for the education of junior players. In 1972 Jonathan and his father started filming games for use in training, making Bristol City the first club in Europe to film games for tactical purposes. Jonathan explains how this helped him gain experience in football and media worlds: “I was meeting people in TV, and we travelled to games with journalists or on the First Team bus.” Still grappling with ambitions to play football, he reveals: “For about six months, I trained with the club, but I knew I wasn’t good enough. Then I broke my leg playing football at school and I was four months in plaster. I got a letter from Bristol City saying they didn’t want to take me on, and I locked myself in my room for two days. I was fifteen.” But Jonathan continued working with his dad, filming the games, and when he progressed on to Birmingham University, Alan sent him a lovely letter of thanks which, to this day, Jonathan treasures.
When Jonathan was a second year undergraduate, BBC Radio Bristol had a job vacancy covering Bristol City games. To pass the audition, Jon had to commentate over recordings of Bristol City games. Fortunately, those recordings were provided by Jonathan’s dad, enabling him to prepare thoroughly and, from then on, things fell into place.

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I did mean Nick Lowe, thanks. 

Same backing band though.

Billy Bremner (not that one) guitar

Nick Lowe bass

Terry Williams drums (went on to take over from Pick Withers Dire Straits)

Dave Edmunds guitar

Collectively also known as Rockpile.