IGNORED

My top 5 fave AWAY City goals seen live not on tv

MattWSM

1) Roberts v Hartlepool h

2) Thorpe v sags h

3) Goater v Watford a

4) Sproule v Leicester a

5) Maynard v QPR a

Roberts' goal in the play off semi final still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand out.

Aaron Brown's run and pin point pass to one of the best strikers we've ever had, perfect.

Top of the table clash with 4,000 City fans there. Doherty passes to the Goat who dinks it over the keeper and we're all celebrating long before the ball hits the net.

Sproule dances his way past three defenders to score.

The ball is crossed in to Maynard who, in a split second, flicks it up and volleys it in.

I could've mentioned Hunter's free kick and flying boot v Everton(?) Or Bent v Swindon a, or Wilkshire's lob from the half way line, a few Jet or Lee Trundle goals, Reid v Man City a or Wilbs v Swindon

There are loads of others but these are the ones that really stick in my mind.

Some random ones from me…probably not particular memorable to most but great memories from my peak ‘away daying’ few years: 

Grimsby v City - Aaron Brown last minute winner

Notts County v City - Marc Goodfellow last minute winner

Brentford v City - Lita’s second after coming on as a sub and turning the game around

25 minutes ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

Some random ones from me…probably not particular memorable to most but great memories from my peak ‘away daying’ few years: 

Brentford v City - Lita’s second after coming on as a sub and turning the game around

I was there for all three !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bury. Always on my list. Milne to Walsh crossfield, Walsh to Milne crossfield, side footed volley in. Superb.

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

That’s right, Bury. I couldn’t remember if it was them or Oldham. He was a talent on his day

Can see that goal like it was yesterday - His debut IIRC 

4 hours ago, MattWSM said:

What are your top 5 Away goals which you have seen live at the ground i.e. not on tv/robins TV etc

1. Tomlin v Fulham 2016 - just incredible.

2. Can I have Flints opener in the JPT final in 2015?

3. Reid v Brentford 2017 - last minute leveller to snatch a filthy point.

4. Pisano v Blackburn 2019 - I really liked Pisano and I'm so glad I witnessed his only away goal for us.

5. Brownhill v Brighton 2017 - ruining their promotion party was hilarious.

All pretty recent, but that's when I had the money and time to watch us away so that's what I've got.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to My top 5 fave AWAY City goals seen live not on tv
9 hours ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

Funnily enough, I was thinking of Grimsby and Notts Co - but not those two! 

Grimsby: Andy Cole got a cracking goal for us there. Long ball (maybe from the keeper) over his shoulder and first time volley into the net - at the end where we were standing.

Notts Co: JET - the first time we saw his amazing penalty technique, and in the last few minutes to equalise (or win - can’t recall which, but it mattered!). 

Neither top 5 probably, but both memorable. 

• Like 1

I'm absolutely useless remembering these things even when I was there but, some that spring to mind are:

1) Tony Thorpe v the sags. 3-2 Christmas Eve game? Pin point cross from Aaron Brown streaking down the left wing. 

2) Smith v Man Utd. What a feeling when that went in. Superb ball over the top from Taylor.

3) Brian Tinnion v Wrexham.? I'm sure this was against Wrexham and I think it was Peter Beadle who rolled the ball back but it was a hell of a free kick. The ball was chipped up and Tins cracked it over the wall and straight in. 

10 hours ago, Nickybee said:

Away goals :

Hirst vs Rovers (Cup) - won the match

Gillies vs Coventry (Div 1) - kept us up

Riley vs Bolton (FRT) - icing on the cake

Ritchie vs Notts County (Cup) - equaliser (we were Div 4, they were Div 1)

Agard vs WBA (Cup) - 5000 fans went crazy

Glad I’m not alone with that one, it’s probably the best limbs I’ve been a part of. There were 50/60 year old fellas on their arses in the stairways going crazy. 

Mad really, cause it doesn’t seem like it should be that important when you think of it now. Magic of the cup!

• Like 1

There are too many to name just 5 but in keeping with the thread I've gone with 5 goals which represent games where I saw us win on the opponents ground for the 1st time. 

Paul Cheesley - Arsenal

Keith Fear - Tottenham Hotspur

Lee Peacock - Plymouth Argyle

Leroy Lita - Tranmere Rovers

Tammy Abraham - Burton Albion

Keith Fear v Leeds utd Aston Gate 1974 fa cup. Crammed in like sardines in the east end. Bremner scored for Leeds, then in the 2nd half the ball  is played long and wide to the right hand side kicking toward the Atyeo stand.Fear gets there 1st and executes an audacious an incredible chip over Gary Sprake from way out.The crowd go wild!This is followed by the famous 0-1 replay win which featured the famous Donnie Gillies winner !

McCombe at Doncaster for a vital 1-0 win in 2006 followed not long after by 

Orr at Carlisle.  Think it secured a 3-1 win on a day we could have been promoted, and John Ruddy played in goal having been signed on loan 24 hours earlier.  Absolute beauty of a goal curled in with his leg peg from the corner of the box I think to secure the win

Goater at Watford.  Shocking first touch from the half way line that was actually perfect as he ended up drawing the keeper out and slotted it past him

Caulker at QPR.  Equaliser in added on time in front of a packed away end.  

And more obscurely, a Grant Smith thunderbolt to win 1-0 at the Gas in a pre-season friendly!

16 hours ago, MSN Red said:

I was there for Keith Curle’s goal vs Newport. Brought the ball out of defence like an early version of Webster and just kept going. I am sure that Pulis was in the Newport team

blimey i was too if i remember no cameras so was only seen by a crowd of 2500,i think we lost 2.1 and was it the freight rover,

17 hours ago, Nickybee said:

Away goals :

Hirst vs Rovers (Cup) - won the match

Gillies vs Coventry (Div 1) - kept us up

Riley vs Bolton (FRT) - icing on the cake

Ritchie vs Notts County (Cup) - equaliser (we were Div 4, they were Div 1)

Agard vs WBA (Cup) - 5000 fans went crazy

Tom Ritchie v Notts County. Now, that was such an exciting away day. Great memory.  We seemed to have more fans in the away end than they had in the rest of the ground. We were on our way back from the depths. 

• Like 1