IGNORED

Coventry City at home match day thread

Just now, KegCity said:

In the first half especially we were carved open from passes in between the centre backs and full backs? Coventry got in behind too easily and too often.

Much improved in the second half, but we were pretty lethargic for the first half, and lost momentum again towards the end. 

I think that was just down to a youthful midfield, took a while for Scott and Benaryous to get going, their goal was very well set up with a clever run. Perhaps it needed Williams on sooner, but we remain light in midfield experience with King and James out

Somebody said on Saturday after the Middlesbrough game,  “on another day we would have lost that game”.  Today was that “another day”.

It just illustrates how tight the margins are in this league. Both Boro and Cov are decent sides.  We are two or three experienced Championship players behind them, that’s all.  I dislike losing as much as the next man, but you can see things are going in the right direction, which after last season, is something to hold on to.

• Like 12
3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Still can't for the life of me understand why Han-Noah doesn't just drag him back. That was more of a mistake than the mistake.

Gutted for the result, but still on the up with the performances.

Learning his craft, HNM hasn’t got the professional foul in his locker yet. I suspect that will be pointed  out by the analysts

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, collier said:

88th minute of a match where he covered miles of the pitch. Pass was a million miles from goal in a central area with plenty of cover. He slightly under hit a pass to his team mate, he didn't put their player clean through on goal ffs. They all have work to be done in some regard. Semenyo couldn't trap a bag of cement tonight but his mistakes were made near their goal where it's easy forgive because it doesn't lead to a chance for them. I would be interested in the stats of all our players that have given away chances. We wouldn't be where we are as a team without collective mistakes so let's not try to highlight individual ones. 

All fair, and like you thought Semenyo’s touch was not great tonight.

Hopefully they learn lessons. Decent break in fairness, but having caught the player HNM could have easily brought him down 45 yards from goal, the old taking one for the team. I mean, maybe overall lucky to win on Saturday a little, unlucky to lose today a little. It’s frustrating as I am sure everyone feels!

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Still can't for the life of me understand why Han-Noah doesn't just drag him back. That was more of a mistake than the mistake.

Gutted for the result, but still on the up with the performances.

This is so true, hamer etc from their team take the booking and stop the attack. But that’s a learning curve for our players, they seem to be learning at the moment - next season hopefully we see the learning come to fruition 

• Like 1

Enjoyed that, not the right result, but watching all those youngsters more than hold their own was great. Individual/collective errors, but despite goals conceded, think we’re slowly but surely looking stronger defensively. Obviously more to do, but far less batten down the hatches and defend our own 6 yard box. But do need to get closer to players, both goals we were miles away and don’t think we needed to be, particularly the first.

Went a bit awry late first half with their press, but good to see DB getting more comfortable with distributing short. Battered them for much of the game, a couple of late nicks for corners from them, a couple of decent pieces of keeping etc, could have been very different. Whilst we haven’t won two in a row, we have managed two decent performances in a row, that’s good. 

They were dirty, a couple times stepping on our players (Scott and Semenyo) as they got up from tackles.  Not hard, just sneaky. Ref didn’t get any big decisions wrong, no pens in there, but didn’t give us much either. 

• Like 3

I thought City played some fantastic football tonight. Some genuinely exciting young players growing into their careers can only be another positive.

If Pearson can solve the defensive frailties over the summer I think we could be in for a lot more highs than lows. Just got to grind out the rest of this season as well as possible. 

• Like 2

Great performance. Im fed up of us looking comfortable in defence but still managing to concede 2 though! ?

If by any miracle we can keep atleast Semenyo and Scott, and ( hope ) that we gain some sell ons for Kelly and Webster in the summer to help balance the books, i think Nige could put us where we want to be next season with 4 or 5 experienced signings to add to what we have. 
We now have a pattern of play, no aimless lumping. 
Heres to next season!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I think that was just down to a youthful midfield, took a while for Scott and Benaryous to get going, their goal was very well set up with a clever run. Perhaps it needed Williams on sooner, but we remain light in midfield experience with King and James out

Yeah not trying to beat the boys down, put in a great shift but ultimately it’s boiled down to a lack of concentration once again.

• Like 1

Poor defending again for both of their goals. Late winner for the opposition, again.

Our performance wasn't bad, and Coventry were by no means making it tough for us.

Worth NP continuing to experiment and I'm all for playing the youngsters. They won't get any better if they don't play, that's for sure.

I remain concerned about our defending though. 

40 minutes ago, Gazred said:

None of them? I'm not just talking about tonight. Thought Scotts look 50/50 though and could of been given.

It could only have been given by the ref who took charge of Posh v Lincoln at the end of last season, the bloke that reffed our game at Villa a couple of years back, or the bloke that reffed our home match against QPR about three years ago. 

53 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Probably in the minority, but am enjoying the football & don’t feel anywhere near as flat as last season when we lost, it feels like we have much more drive & although it’s not an excuse for each game, just aren’t getting the luck

Not in the minority, just not the loudest ?

• Like 2

Some people seem easily pleased. I thought it was quite a ordinary game between two tired-looking teams. Our first-half display was pedestrian. We put a lot into Saturday after all. And Coventry, who’ve been playing a lot recently, were quite cautious. Neither Benarous nor Bell are ready yet (not their faults). Bell either misplaced, under hit or mishit just about every attempted creative pass or cross. Scott is much more of a threat further up the pitch, so it was a shame he had to play so deep because of our lack of resources. 
And we lost - again - a match late on that we shouldn’t have lost. Sick of seeing away fans - any fans - celebrating late winners. Especially galling tonight because I thought Coventry were nothing special. They barely did just enough
Cheesed off. Or words to the effect.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Great performance. Im fed up of us looking comfortable in defence but still managing to concede 2 though! ?

If by any miracle we can keep atleast Semenyo and Scott, and ( hope ) that we gain some sell ons for Kelly and Webster in the summer to help balance the books, i think Nige could put us where we want to be next season with 4 or 5 experienced signings to add to what we have. 
We now have a pattern of play, no aimless lumping. 
Heres to next season!

Second half we played well . We didn’t move the ball quick enough first half & Coventry nullified us easily & we’re the better side . Deserved something from the game though. Han has played enough games now & needs to learn quickly . He got caught on the ball a few times tonight, cost is the goal  & also got away with a mistake Saturday . 

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Second half we played well . We didn’t move the ball quick enough first half & Coventry nullified us easily & we’re the better side . Deserved something from the game though. Han has played enough games now & needs to learn quickly . He got caught on the ball a few times tonight, cost is the goal  & also got away with a mistake Saturday . 

Shouldve booted the guys legs out. Simple. 
Williams wouldve. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Didn't see the game, had a meltdown instead, abuse is not a fun thing to recover from. 

Watching the highlights, who pushed forward for Covs First? As it was that that gave space behind. 

The second is never in a million years Massengos fault, he's basically harried his man over umpteen yards and we had two defenders flat footed and out of position standing in the middle of nowhere, marking and tracking, no one. 

Did I miss anything else? 

We got caught 'going for it' talk, that's pretty much it IMHO. I can live with that.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Poor defending again for both of their goals. Late winner for the opposition, again.

Our performance wasn't bad, and Coventry were by no means making it tough for us.

Worth NP continuing to experiment and I'm all for playing the youngsters. They won't get any better if they don't play, that's for sure.

I remain concerned about our defending though. 

Not the defence’s fault for the second though…

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Didn't see the game, had a meltdown instead, abuse is not a fun thing to recover from. 

Watching the highlights, who pushed forward for Covs First? As it was that that gave space behind. 

The second is never in a million years Massengos fault, he's basically harried his man over umpteen yards and we had two defenders flat footed and out of position standing in the middle of nowhere, marking and tracking, no one. 

Everything between the goals, which was pretty decent you’ll be glad to hear. Maybe. 

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Played well tonight and unlucky. A point would have been fair, Coventry have a good side.

Alex Scott was brilliant this evening and didn't deserve to be on the losing side.

Not a fan of Cov's cocky fanbase though ?

In fairness they made a good noise. Decent numbers as well.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

? The second was 100% massengos fault & he got caught on the ball a few times tonight . He also should of brought the player down . Defence are blameless there. The first goal , the lad ran into space off of benourous  & bell. No disrespect but if you haven’t seen the game then it’s difficult to comment  on a few seconds highlights accurately 

• Like 2