IGNORED

Coventry City at home match day thread

Overall I thought our performance was good tonight but got undone by an underhit pass from Dasilva to Massengo who got robbed. Han Noah should of brought the guy down, as they did with him later, but he didn't and it ended up costing us. Although the second half, when we upped the pace, was better than the first, you can see real progression in this team. Alex Scott was the pick of the midfield but HNM and Ayman made positive contributions. I thought young Sam Bell put in another solid performance in an unfamiliar position again. The futures bright but it's Red not bloody Orange. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m usually very quick to comment about some of the abject demonstrations on the art of refereeing that we’ve witnessed, but tonight’s ref was good. Got the key decisions correct, no blowing up for silly stuff and generally managed the game well. No complaints

Cov player stood on Semenyo ref was yards away, booked Senenyo. 
Martin brought down in box, either a penslty or a goal kick depending in how much ball he got. Goal kick given

Cov take quick free kick 7 yards in front of where the foul was, ref 10 feet away. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, collier said:

88th minute of a match where he covered miles of the pitch. Pass was a million miles from goal in a central area with plenty of cover. He slightly under hit a pass to his team mate, he didn't put their player clean through on goal ffs. They all have work to be done in some regard. Semenyo couldn't trap a bag of cement tonight but his mistakes were made near their goal where it's easy forgive because it doesn't lead to a chance for them. I would be interested in the stats of all our players that have given away chances. We wouldn't be where we are as a team without collective mistakes so let's not try to highlight individual ones. 

Tonight is one game, it's not the first time he's made a sloppy pass that's resulted in putting us on the back foot. As I've said before, I'm not saying he isn't good enough but his decision making at times or just concentration drops. It's all good and well saying let's not look at individuals but if managers didn't look at individuals strengths and weaknesses then they wouldn't be able to improve the players. Massengo has technique some of our players will have, he also has vision that just can't be taught but it's no good having all these talents if you lose concentration at key points in the game. 

Passes will always go astray from time to time, yes all of the players do it but what concerns me is how often he does it and when he does it. As a midfielder playing with 3 behind him it only takes him to make one bad pass to potentially turn our attack into a 3 vs 4 defensive situation because our full backs play so high. Semenyo has the luxury of being a forward, it may not excuse him but it does mean if he loses the ball there's is a likelyhood of us still having more players behind the ball to deal with the situation, Massengo doesn't have that luxury and looking at his fellow central midfielders they are far more composed in completing simple passes. 

Maybe in time Massengo will get this side of his game in check but I honestly think because if his immense ability that people overlook that he's still inconsistent in his base game at times. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, firstdivision said:

It could only have been given by the ref who took charge of Posh v Lincoln at the end of last season, the bloke that reffed our game at Villa a couple of years back, or the bloke that reffed our home match against QPR about three years ago. 

Or the guy who has given Reading two very dodgy penalties in the last three games

8 hours ago, KegCity said:

we were pretty lethargic for the first half, and lost momentum again towards the end

Some random musings.

I thought that Klose, in particular, slowed us down in the first half. We looked like we wanted to keep the ball more, dictate the play.

Late on in the second we seemed divided in our plan. Some of the team wanted to knock it about to eat up the time and others wanted the win and the glory. We lacked coherence. 

We didn’t show enough as an attacking force.

We have some wonderful young talent. Bell looked OK, in a position that he’s not used to playing ,but was ,understandably ,unambitious  with his defensive actions and not quite on the money with his attacking intentions but I can forgive him this due to his lack of first team action. He will get better.

Coventry were very average and we looked much the better team. We should never have lost that.

I thought we might lose to Boro and beat them so it’s not too bad. 
I let out a deep groan when they scored the winner and  Mrs Isewater was worried that something serious had happened. 

7 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Going to respectfully disagree 

Going to also respectfully disagree, made comments on the goals in isolation and saw that for the first someone pushed up, couldn't see who gave space, it happens 

And second goal, rather not have a midfielder sent off when short of midfielders especially one who is pivotal to our  game. 

Listening to Nige post match, he definitely reads here, anxiety mentioned a few times, and I'm glad that he does, actually more endearing tbh. 

If second half was better than Preston we're going to batter someone shortly 

But the highlight you would of seen isn’t a reflection of the build up is it because it was cut short. You can’t have full perspective of it unless you saw it in its entirety . Han lost the ball in the middle of their half , the highlight started in the middle of our half . 

9 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I agree, thought their fans were excellent and they were pretty much all I could hear for most of the game.

They were like a travelling jukebox. The Beatles, Oasis and Yazoo. The camp “woo” at the end of their rendition of twist and shout was just plain odd.

Edited by Clevedon Red
3 hours ago, harrys said:

They are going through a “feel-good” couple of seasons after a very long spell of dross and disappointment, historically their support is crap

Fair comment, we were similar under GJ in that first season up last time.

8 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

They were like a travelling jukebox. The Beatles, Oasis and Yazoo. The camp “woo” at the end of their rendition of twist and shout was just plain odd.

Haha, yeah they were a bit, but they were loud and all singing together (sounded like they had a drum?) which was quite unusual, you often get two or three groups who unintentionally compete.

Still better than that awful "everywhere we go" that some away fans do twice a game and nothing else!

9 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Cov player stood on Semenyo ref was yards away, booked Senenyo. 
Martin brought down in box, either a penslty or a goal kick depending in how much ball he got. Goal kick given

Cov take quick free kick 7 yards in front of where the foul was, ref 10 feet away. 

How many refs suffer from long sightedness, ie  they can give a decision about a possible penalty from 30 yards away but are virtually blind up to 10 yards?

All I can say is that for a midfielder who has only two goal assists and zero goals scored in 100 games, he is being given very little abuse for a whopping mistake that led to their winner.

There are a couple of other City players who would have been hung, drawn and quartered by 22.00 hours yesterday evening.

Personally, if we have to sell in the summer to avoid FFP points deduction in the next two seasons it would be au revoir to him.

• Like 1

How many Managers in recent times would take responsibility for their first goal? We all know what happened and who should have been covering (if Danny Simpson had been playing he would have been on the cover but that doesn't improve a young player into a Championship footballer moving forwards). I can think of at least one Manager who would have been saying "Sam's got to do better there".

• Like 1

Obviously frustrated that yet another very late goal has cost us.

However, not that long ago, and for much of the season, we have conceded late goals because we have been under pretty incessant pressure and hanging on for dear life.

While I didn't see last night’s game, it sounds like after a poor first half we came back strongly and were on top through the second half and were punished for going for the win. With so many young players in the team and if we are on top, is this something we perhaps have to accept can happen, as youngsters will not be so strong on game management and their natural inclination will be to go for it, rather than doing what is needed to hold on to a point?

Also, it’s often said that the best form of defence is attack. How many times have we been punished because we gradually drop ever deeper when trying t hold on in a game, only to attract ever more pressure with the almost inevitable result. While a mistake can happen ( as last night) I would prefer us to keep the opposition pinned deep in their own half in the latter part of games.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why does he have to be 'abused' FFS?

Exactly.

Abuse is never going to help the situation.

I'm sure few would disagree that the desire, dedication and the effort to do well for the team is there from Han.

What more can you ask for? (Apart from never, ever to make a mistake)

Edited by MJP3
16 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Sky Blues Mark Robins told BBC CWR:

"It wasn't our best performance, but it was one of our best results. That was one of our toughest games of the season, so it was a fantastic result.

"Nigel Pearson has done a brilliant job with Bristol City and his team are a totally different proposition to last season. Their front three cause problems and they have some exciting young players, with a desire to do well. We had to play well.

Very respectful comments. Always liked Robins especially since his loan period here.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Obviously frustrated that yet another very late goal has cost us.

However, not that long ago, and for much of the season, we have conceded late goals because we have been under pretty incessant pressure and hanging on for dear life.

While I didn't see last night’s game, it sounds like after a poor first half we came back strongly and were on top through the second half and were punished for going for the win. With so many young players in the team and if we are on top, is this something we perhaps have to accept can happen, as youngsters will not be so strong on game management and their natural inclination will be to go for it, rather than doing what is needed to hold on to a point?

Also, it’s often said that the best form of defence is attack. How many times have we been punished because we gradually drop ever deeper when trying t hold on in a game, only to attract ever more pressure with the almost inevitable result. While a mistake can happen ( as last night) I would prefer us to keep the opposition pinned deep in their own half in the latter part of games.

Absolutely on the money. Well said, that man. 

There has clearly been some flack aimed at HNM on this thread that I’ve missed and can’t be arsed to backtrack to, so apologies for any repetition of comments already made by others, but one observation about the lad, FWIW.

I love the energy that he brings to the side and the tempo at which he likes to play. The one (very occasional) drawback is that his desire to do everything at 100mph can sometimes lead to hastily executed passes and mistakes. If there is one thing lacking in his game, it is - arguably - composure. The injection of intensity, he excels at: what he may need to learn is when to slow the game down, rather than speed it up. I would see it positively and as a developmental issue. He is still very young and very talented. I see no reason why that quality cannot be coached into him. He’s what? Twenty? He’s well ahead of the curve compared to many at his age, but he can hardly be expected to be the complete midfielder at this stage in his career. As always on OTIB,  some are quick to condemn.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Neither  am I son . I’m pointing out what actually happened. If you bothered turning up to games you may have a more balanced view. 

• Maybe a round trip of about 400miles is a little bit far for a Tues night game.
  • Wrong sex
36 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That's exactly what Chris Honour said ON RB after they scored. They should have fouled him.

Game management it happened with Massengo late in the game against Boro he should of kept the ball for longer.. Pearson spitting features on the touch line and yes again tonight just a clip or push whatever to stop momentum.