IGNORED

Pearson's First Year (Merged)

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Reading the replies that are calling out the home grown players being largely a great success this season and whilst it might be something this needs its own thread, but how well have their careers been managed to date?

Monster work by Tins for the loans, development path and monitoring, taking kids who have likely reached a point of having outgrown the U23s, and getting them exposed to competitive football at levels they have been able to learn and thrive in, before bringing them back and them then being able to start competing for the 1st team squad.

Cheers Tins!

Helps NP no end I would guess.

Rob….I really hope that relationship between Tins and Nige is a strong one.  It appears to be from the outside looking in.

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Pezo said:

To be honest I usually give a manager 50/50 with signings, that's usually works out about right.

I don't think it's just one bad signing for Nige, there should be questions about the Leicester Reds, Simpson, James, King plus Baker not on football ability but injury record but I also understood we needed experienced players, the judgement is still out for Atkinson and Tanner - they look ok, Weiman is turning out to be a great signing.

There are still questions about our injury record as well and although it's improved it's not good enough enough.

Simpson was an odd one, but I think he filled a gap we needed at the time, which has since become redundant with a switch to wing backs. He's a bit of a victim of the tactical change IMO. If we played more 4-4-2, I think we'd see more of him.

James and King i'm happy with overall. Yes the niggly injuries have been frustrating, but they've both played their parts on the pitch and more importantly by all accounts, what we don't see, off it. In training. In the changing room. Socially with in the squad. These two are top guys and committed, experienced pros, surely vital to have in any squad and something we lacked.

Injuries have been much better this season, but it's the usual suspects and recurring issues, but on the whole I think we've managed them better e.g Williams. There hasn't been as many random exploding ligaments etc this season thank god. 

• Like 1

It’s getting there slowly but surely. No real pressure on the rest of the season as we’re not going down or up so good chance to blood new youngsters. Since NP started, the development of Semenyo, Scott and Massengo has been impressive. we have good assets in our ranks now thanks to the coaching staff. 

Long may it continue and I implore the Lansdowns to let them get on with it!

Semenyo, Scott, Pring, Benarous, Bell HNM.

For me, the fact that NP has trusted these young players and is reaping the rewards for so doing, makes his appointment 100% the right one and a success.

Since NPs appointment, it has become ever clearer the mess Ashton left behind and which I think contributed to our ffp issues. 

The success of our young players could well be a financial saving grace but also provide a spring board to an exciting period for the club, as I well remember the introduction of that group of young players under Dicks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

If (BIG IF)we keep the youngsters , resolve Wells and Palmer , and sign the 4/5 players we need (assuming also Simpson/King/COD/O’Dowda/Bakinson/Moore leave and Baker retires) , IMHO we will be looking at top 6. Klosse will surely sign on if Baker retires. 

I’ve had to add one name to your list Billy, otherwise I agree. Our expectations for next season will be all important and will drive our summer recruitment plans. 

On the transfer forum, the discussion of whether Marlon Pack may be a sensible summer (re-)signing made me think that if next season is all about staying in the Championship and avoiding relegation then he would likely be an asset however, if we are truly targeting a playoff position then we’ll likely need someone who is a cut above. 

If we can hold onto HNM, Semenyo and Scott and move on those that you’ve listed then our summer recruitment activity will be extremely interesting. Whilst I liked Marlon during his time here, I hope that we’ll be looking at someone who would be able to transition to the league above. 

Personally, I’m really pleased with the job that NP is doing. At the back end of last season we were a bloody mess; that in such a relatively short space of time and with few acquisitions, he’s managed to turn us into a competitive team playing attractive, enjoyable football whilst bringing through a group of young, highly-prized talent is a real testimony to his skills. 

• Like 2

Interesting to reflect on what he said at the end of our last home match last season, he certainly defined the challenge.

“We have had to rely too much on young players and, while we have some very bright prospects, it is important we don't demand too much of them too soon. I have to create a squad capable of meeting the challenges the Championship set. At the moment we are not meeting those challenges and a lot of our talented youngsters are being exposed without the necessary experience alongside them."

The side he started with that day was Bentley, Simpson, Mariappa, Baker, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Palmer, Scott, Wells, Conway. The used subs were Sessegnon, Vyner, Jenneh, Edwards, Britton.

We have come a long way since then, and it feels he has had a good look at who is there, and decided who is ready now, or in the ‘one for the future’ or ‘not for me’ pile.

Development of youth a huge plus. Understand the thinking at the time, but not sure the King/James/Simpson signings in the round could be classed as a success.

He has faced challenges not of his making in turning this ship around. Success to me is as simple as starting the 23/24 season still as a Championship side. We are very tight financially and have a non zero chance of a points deduction. The real period of risk should be this season and next, and he has got us through the first of those. Given those challenges and the inevitable downs we will face over that period I hope the fans and the Board stick with him, and as importantly he feels supported and continues to fancy the challenge. For all our faults we are a much more enjoyable team to watch than much of the last three years.

Or in short, a ‘hit’.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or you could ask, would those youngsters still be playing u23 football with someone else in charge.

Would another manager have risked Scott (and Bell for that matter) at RWB?  Would Robbie Cundy have been brought on as sub in crucial points of the last 3 games?  Benarous too, hadn’t even become a regular in the u23s until this season.

Yeah, he might’ve been forced into it to some extent, but there are plenty of managers who would’ve been sticking with the older players, or bleating about playing the youngsters.  Nige is actually saying they’ve been better in some cases.

But it’s all about opinions.

Credit for doing it but not by any means a "genius" for doing so, most, if not all Managers would have/had to do the same in the situation we find ourselves in.

Academy has served him very well and will continue to do so.

Great news all round for the future of the club.

Loving the way we are playing at the moment, very entertaining. 

Edited by VT05763

Who knew that appointing a proven football manager, with experience in the top flight, would have stopped the rot, secured our Championship status, and provided green shoots of recovery?! All the while cultivating multi-million pound assets that will likely balance the books having contributed to an upswing in form.

Edited by GlastonburyRed
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

Nige is doing very well IMO. He inherited an unbalanced squad with next to no money to spend, he's building an environment in which to develop the youngsters and there's a clear plan on the pitch for the first time in a long time. I also hear he handles himself impeccably around the training ground etc. 

The progress might be slow but at least we're moving in the right direction after all the off-the-field shit we've endured in recent years. 

• Like 2

I'll be over generous and state that although he has been here a year, I don't think he has really been here since he signed a 3 year contract last summer. The last 3 months of last season were a write off with Nige frantically assessing an injury ravaged squad whilst also trying to remain in the Championship. His real work started on July 1st.

I have total faith in NP and think we now have decent foundations to become a solid top 10 side next season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Certainly made a positive impression if not always evident on the pitch.

Big summer ahead. If he can retain, move on and recruit as desired then i think we'll really see a true Pearson team.

For me it is impressive that the team is more cohesive and positive without the 2 ex England coaches. Perhaps a case of too many cooks?

41 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Credit for doing it but not by any means a "genius" for doing so, most, if not all Managers would have/had to do the same in the situation we find ourselves in.

Academy has served him very well and will continue to do so.

Great news all round for the future of the club.

Loving the way we are playing at the moment, very entertaining. 

Maybe, but Nige set his stall out at the end of last season to not pack his squad and to use the youth as his overall squad.  Would’ve been easy to sign a couple more aging free transfer and also play Simpson, Wells at the expense of others.  Deserves a bit of credit doesn’t he? ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Or you could ask, would those youngsters still be playing u23 football with someone else in charge.

Would another manager have risked Scott (and Bell for that matter) at RWB?  Would Robbie Cundy have been brought on as sub in crucial points of the last 3 games?  Benarous too, hadn’t even become a regular in the u23s until this season.

Yeah, he might’ve been forced into it to some extent, but there are plenty of managers who would’ve been sticking with the older players, or bleating about playing the youngsters.  Nige is actually saying they’ve been better in some cases.

Yes, I'm very happy to give him credit for playing the youngsters, what I was getting at, is he is very lucky to have the quality of young players available to him. It's very unusual to have a talented group coming through at the same time.

• Like 2

I like him (& Curtis), he’s the type of proven Championship manager we should have appointed every time since GJ left.

Strikes me as brilliant to play for if you’re on the bus but terrible if you’re off it. Put it this way, I don’t think I would like to get on the wrong side of him.

Nige is a direct bullseye hit for me, so many positives since he came back from his second dose of covid. still has a nasty cough but getting on with it.  i love the bloke to bits,hope he can better cotts and then attack alan dicks reputation. for the first time in a long time, we know what we are going to get. consistant inconsistancy, doesnt allow for too much expectation which makes the good performances stand out even more. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ben1980 said:

Definitely a hit for me. Enjoy going to AG now and feel optimistic for the future. Feel more invested in the club again. 

We were so so bad when he took over! 

hes got me feeling that much better about it all that ive got a ticket for brum,first match in one and a half seasons i think,cant remember  the last one anyway

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe, but Nige set his stall out at the end of last season to not pack his squad and to use the youth as his overall squad.  Would’ve been easy to sign a couple more aging free transfer and also play Simpson, Wells at the expense of others.  Deserves a bit of credit doesn’t he? ?

The first 4 words of my comment !

You can see how things are improving,

How those players who were cozy have been bombed out,

How he isnt afraid to tell us how it is and some home truths to those in charge which was needed,

Is he perfect? No, but this squad under johnson or holden would be below Derby in the league

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

For all the improvements we can see and the explosion of youth we all seem to appreciate; I still find myself thinking.... 'Danny Simpson?'...  'Why?'.

But aside from that, I'm happy.

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

That's a big reason for why it's not an A for me.

I'm sure he can't get into it now but when Danny Simpson leaves I would like Nige to give an honest assessment of what he was expecting from Simpson when he brought him in, why he had to bring him in as a player, what were the benefits of having Simpson in the squad, how he thought it worked out overall.

So Danny Simpson didn’t work out at all well. That’s a pretty good ratio of players that have been brought here under Pearson that have done well and are likely to continue that trend when fit. 

However when I look back at Dioney, Elliason, Engval etc combined with the endless amount of other dross that LJ spent millions on, one free transfer as a criticism makes the bloke look good and highlights the **** up that Ashton, Johnson supported by Holden and assorted board members and owners created

Pearson has changed the value of our current squad significantly. Semenyo Scott and HNM are the hottest properties in the division bar none! OLeary has greater value as do Pring and Benerous, Bell and Conway even Cundy is getting game time! 

Sometimes it’s easy to pick on the one thing that didn’t go great when criticizing what a fantastic job Pearson is doing with the basket case he took over 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

Yes, I'm very happy to give him credit for playing the youngsters, what I was getting at, is he is very lucky to have the quality of young players available to him. It's very unusual to have a talented group coming through at the same time.

Is it though? There's a plan in the academy, by all accounts the next "batch" of youngsters are also great. We've created a pipeline of hungry, talented young players. This is not by some freak accident. It is our intention.

It's a big hit from me. I went to my first game since the LJ era (Middlesbro'), what entertainment - it was brilliant.

Somebody is going to get a hiding before the end of the season. When everything clicks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly that.

Not that it's all about LJ......but if he had this current crop, Pring would probably have been sold to a L1/2 side, and there's no chance in hell that Ayman, Scott or Bell would be anywhere near the first team.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Is it though? There's a plan in the academy, by all accounts the next "batch" of youngsters are also great. We've created a pipeline of hungry, talented young players. This is not by some freak accident. It is our intention.

It's a big hit from me. I went to my first game since the LJ era (Middlesbro'), what entertainment - it was brilliant.

Somebody is going to get a hiding before the end of the season. When everything clicks.

Exactly. Agree 100%. 5/0er is on its way I can feel it!

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Exactly that.

Not that it's all about LJ......but if he had this current crop, Pring would probably have been sold to a L1/2 side, and there's no chance in hell that Ayman, Scott or Bell would be anywhere near the first team.

We'd be in a relegation scrap with the manager complaining about not  being backed and how 'he can't rely on kids'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1