IGNORED

Alex Scott…..Wow

HappyClapper

55 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

An 18 year old already performing to such a high level in the Championship, combined with the fact he’s under contract with us until 2025… definitely has the potential to be our record sale (or a City legend).

Personally I can’t see him going this summer, I think we’ll end up selling HNM but keeping AS + AS.

I agree. We can demand stupid money for Scott and imo he’s not done enough for someone to pay it (yet!). Same with Semenyo.  Not heard of any progress with HNM’s contract so starting to accept he’s off.

49 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

An 18 year old already performing to such a high level in the Championship, combined with the fact he’s under contract with us until 2025… definitely has the potential to be our record sale (or a City legend).

Personally I can’t see him going this summer, I think we’ll end up selling HNM but keeping AS + AS.

13 minutes ago, Offside said:

He is the best young player I’ve ever seen emerging into the City first team and he has so many attributes…..skill, vision, tenacity, reading of the game, work ethic, and others I’ve probably missed out. He’s got huge potential. I really hope he’s with us next season. 

I’m pretty sure Alex will be with us next season barring a massive bid from a top ten Premier League team, which is unlikely.

He is getting loads of game time and improving rapidly.

He has settled well into the squad and there are a number of excellent young players joining him.

He is about to be joined by Ben Acey in the summer who he played lots of age group and first team football with in Guernsey.

He has a 4 year contract.

He has an excellent relationship with a manager who trusts him and is improving his all round game.

I appreciate a couple of those might be conjecture, but could be considered to be true based on performances.

I think it might be a different story next summer. We will have to show we are matching his ambitions.

• Like 3

Previously I was using the caveat "best young player since Gow", but to be honest I don't remember GG having the level of creativity that Scott has at 18. When you add to that the fact that he is rarely beaten in a tackle when defending, then you have something special.

I think in a normal situation, we would have all been very excited about the way that HNM, Semenyo, Benarous, Bell and a couple of others are developing, the fact we are not really mentioning them (apart from Antoine), shows how much he is overshadowing them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Previously I was using the caveat "best young player since Gow", but to be honest I don't remember GG having the level of creativity that Scott has at 18. When you add to that the fact that he is rarely beaten in a tackle when defending, then you have something special.

I think in a normal situation, we would have all been very excited about the way that HNM, Semenyo, Benarous, Bell and a couple of others are developing, the fact we are not really mentioning them (apart from Antoine), shows how much he is overshadowing them.

Don't you remember when he first came into the team, quite frankly he was useless, fans didn't like him, he was Kellards replacement (and not a very good one), but gradually, over a few months we could see what a player he was going to become .

BTW, Kellard being the replacement for fans favorite Johnny Quigley , had to run the same gauntlet with the fans , before (through performances) he won them over !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Don't you remember when he first came into the team, quite frankly he was useless, fans didn't like him, he was Kellards replacement (and not a very good one), but gradually, over a few months we could see what a player he was going to become .

BTW, Kellard being the replacement for fans favorite Johnny Quigley , had to run the same gauntlet with the fans , before (through performances) he won them over !

Yes, remember GG was fearless yet very raw at the same age as Scott, but developed a lot to his game over the few seasons after his debut. Eventually to become our probably our best, most influential all round midfield player. I see more a Williams type of player than Scott in the type of player Gow was. Must say with no exaggeration that Scott looks the most all round technically gifted, football savvy, comfortable at this level young pro I’ve ever seen to come through the ranks at AG. Just hope he builds on the exceptional promise he has shown and sticks around long enough to help towards the rebuild of this side, or long enough to get a really massive fee for him!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, he was basically a clogger when he started. In fact in our fights against relegation in those days we were a pretty dirty side!

But he transformed himself from that into one of the best we have ever had of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Offside said:

He is the best young player I’ve ever seen emerging into the City first team and he has so many attributes…..skill, vision, tenacity, reading of the game, work ethic, and others I’ve probably missed out. He’s got huge potential. I really hope he’s with us next season. 

No one’s mentioned him, but Rob Newman’s (enforced) arrival in the first team at the age of 16 was pretty special too, and no surprise he went on to play in the top division and in Europe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RAD_Red said:

Maybe the dream scenario. I love Han-Noah but would be happy to see a nice cash injection with FFP watching us.

Re Alex Scott, the sky is the limit. He’s pure silk. Reid, Webster, Brownhill and Kelly were all wonderful players, he’s the next level up, maybe 2.

I assume, being from Guernsey, he qualifies as a home-grown player with regards Premier League team quotas?

If for this reason alone he carries a premium, what is a genuine asking price for him this summer? Webster was £20m, Kelly £13m....

Are we looking in excess of those?

And for what price would City just have to stand aside and let him go?

18 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I assume, being from Guernsey, he qualifies as a home-grown player with regards Premier League team quotas?

If for this reason alone he carries a premium, what is a genuine asking price for him this summer? Webster was £20m, Kelly £13m....

We won't know how much Covid might have impacted fees until the summer window.

My guess is that Prem clubs will try to drive prices down compared to the past, knowing the financial damage EFL clubs have suffered. We shall see.

58 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I'd expect something like 10-12m up front with performance based add-ons to take it up to 18-20m as an absolute maximum. Certainly more like Kelly money than Webster money imo.

We might love him and rave about him, but objectively he's a talented 18 year-old playing well (in a variety of positions) in comparison to some pretty average/standard Championship players. He's on a long contract, but that won't be worth much as it's going to be low wages. Is that a good return on someone who was essentially a free signing? Absolutely.

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Think we need to be clear here, he was in City's Academy for a little over a year before signing his first pro contract in March 2021. 

He came though Guernsey's system. 

And don't forget Ben Acey who looks to be signing for us. I wonder how much SL living in Guernsey has to do with us getting these players as opposed to them signing elsewhere.

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

And don't forget Ben Acey who looks to be signing for us. I wonder how much SL living in Guernsey has to do with us getting these players as opposed to them signing elsewhere.

With Scott the coach over there cited the relationship with Tinnion as a factor 

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Yes, he was basically a clogger when he started. In fact in our fights against relegation in those days we were a pretty dirty side!

But he transformed himself from that into one of the best we have ever had of course.

It's funny how memories differ, although age does play tricks with the best of us.

My first recollection of Gerry Gow was in that wonderful John Sillett youth side that reached the semi-finals of the 1970 Youth Cup.

I was a mere schoolboy back then, and I honestly can't remember whether I actually saw GG make his First Team debut, although I certainly did see him in his early games. My recollection is not that he was a 'clogger', although I do remember some boos at some of his passes. Again, I don't remember them as 'bad passes', rather that his teammates were unable to read them.

Incidentally, whilst I never had the pleasure of meeting Gerry Gow, I did meet both Johnny Quigley (we actually played in the same team for a few months) and Bobby Kellard.

My recollection of Bobby Kellard is that he was a very warm, down to earth man, whereas the less said about JQ, the better.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2022 at 23:50, pride of the west said:

His ceiling is frightening. To think he's still got more development in his body to go and will only get stronger and faster in the next couple of years. 

Got any photographs?  Only I’m decorating the bedroom of someone I don’t like much…