IGNORED

Support for Ukraine

HitchinRed

Yuriy Vernydub........try if u can to look up his profile?  A man who could easily stand back and watch, and pick up his salary?  Instead, he is back home fighting for his country and beliefs.  Words fail me, to express just how much courage   the Ukranian people are displaying.  And of course for every high profile individual who is fighting, there are also thousands of every day citizens showing equal bravery.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Yuriy Vernydub........try if u can to look up his profile?  A man who could easily stand back and watch, and pick up his salary?  Instead, he is back home fighting for his country and beliefs.  Words fail me, to express just how much courage   the Ukranian people are displaying.  And of course for every high profile individual who is fighting, there are also thousands of every day citizens showing equal bravery.

Agreed. At 58, I think my days of marching around with an SLR are long over. 

But who knows how we'd react if we had to defend our homes, our families, our way of life?  I'd hope I could be as brave. 

• Like 4

On 26/02/2022 at 18:12, City oz said:

Why?. It is Putin that is the issue and not the majority of Russians or there football clubs. My opinion is if the Russian football teams are willing to travel then lets play.

Why should the world wide greatest sport be a pawn in a chess game with an idiot like Putin.

A lot has changed since 26/02. As you can appreciate the post was before the escalation of events over the last week or so. Sport with Russia is now a forgone conclusion that it is not going to occur in any disciplines of sport let alone football.

The suffering Putin has caused is totally not acceptable

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

But who knows how we'd react if we had to defend our homes, our families, our way of life?  I'd hope I could be as brave. 

Ah,,the FN ....

Cracking "soldier proof" weapon with punch ...oh for a day on the ranges.

Indeed,,I do hope we'd be so strong.

• Like 1

How are we showing our support today?  Can we wear blue and yellow even though it's Birmingham's way colours?

Will anyone be selling Ukraine flags with the proceeds to the refugees charity fund? Will there be a collection?

Can we play the Ukrainian national anthem before the game?

Is anyone making any banners?

A minute of applause or silence?

We have to do something.

Any thoughts from the SLO?

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

How are we showing our support today?  Can we wear blue and yellow even though it's Birmingham's way colours?

Will anyone be selling Ukraine flags with the proceeds to the refugees charity fund? Will there be a collection?

Can we play the Ukrainian national anthem before the game?

Is anyone making any banners?

A minute of applause or silence?

We have to do something.

Any thoughts from the SLO?

Would have been a nice touch if home/away teams could wear Ukraine's strip (colour clashes allowing).

22 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Likewise RR. 

Like Ukraine, we have a comedian running the country. Oh that ours could rise to the occasion, as has Ukraine's. Talk about standing up to be counted and showing real leadership 

As for defending our country, I can't help but think that if it happened here all the bleeding hearts who have been  ashamed of our history would be demonstrating that being expected to defend the country, for which they have obvious destain, infringes their human rights! :angry:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Always red said:

Disappointed by clubs response at game today. I only saw a brief flash of Ukrainian colours on the big screen and that's it? 

Shameful

Totally agree with you. It was shameful by the club and fans. I thought more effort would have gone into todays game. I let it know to the east end boys I was unhappy about it. You gotta think about the families that are being murdered by the russians. We need to make a better effort and stand up to this evil. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Midred said:

Apparently China aren't showing any PL matches today in case there are any Ukrainian colours showing!

But, apparently, the games were shown in Russia.

I can imagine that went down very well, with stadiums bedecked in blue and yellow, players wearing blue and yellow armbands etc.

I don’t foresee that continuing for much longer.

I live in China and yes not only did they black out Premier League games but they also censored the opening speech from the president of the Paralympics who called for a stop to Russian aggression.

They are allowing support for Ukraine on their social media platforms though. Does anyone have any photos from yesterday of banners/signs/flags that I can share? 

9 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I live in China and yes not only did they black out Premier League games but they also censored the opening speech from the president of the Paralympics who called for a stop to Russian aggression.

They are allowing support for Ukraine on their social media platforms though. Does anyone have any photos from yesterday of banners/signs/flags that I can share? 

Given what the Chinese State are like (granted, I've mostly got the picture from watching serpentza/laowhy86/ADVChina channels on youtube for the last three years), that might be a bit dangerous. Be careful, and good luck.

On 05/03/2022 at 12:19, Midred said:

Apparently China aren't showing any PL matches today in case there are any Ukrainian colours showing!

**** 'em, they've paid the money for the rights, it's not the PL fault they won't be able to show the game because of their dictator.

In response, every club should adopt a Winnie the Pooh mascot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855.amp

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Always red said:

Disappointed by clubs response at game today. I only saw a brief flash of Ukrainian colours on the big screen and that's it? 

Shameful

I agree. I also half expected some enterprising false merchandiser to be selling City/Shaktar Donetsk or England/Ukraine half and half scarves outside the stadium. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I agree. I also half expected some enterprising false merchandiser to be selling City/Shaktar Donetsk or England/Ukraine half and half scarves outside the stadium. 

I think the simple fact is more people where fairly indifferent to it yesterday, I expect everyone think the war should stop and it's truly terrible what's going on but a lot go to the football to get away from the troubles of the world for a couple of hours, 

12 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Given what the Chinese State are like (granted, I've mostly got the picture from watching serpentza/laowhy86/ADVChina channels on youtube for the last three years), that might be a bit dangerous. Be careful, and good luck.

Thanks mate. My Ukrainian colleague has been able to post fundraising details on Chinese social media websites so they seem to be allowing individual shows of support for Ukraine, but banning anything corporate. I’ll be careful though. Interesting you mention laowhy86.. a lot of his content is sensationalised (his story of escaping from China doesn’t add up from my perspective) but he’s right in condemning the CCP. They are to be taken very seriously as a threat to the world. 

• Like 2

Just to highlight a 20 minute podcast where the guys from Guardian Football Weekly speak to Mladen Bartulovic, assistant coach of Ukrainian side Inhulets Petrove https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2022/mar/08/ukraine-war-mladen-bartulovic-football-weekly-special

Mr Bartulovic is in the relatively safe city of Dnipro. He spends his nights building defences and trying to hide the war from his ten year old daughter. He's 35 years old, and this is his third war.

It's an intersting listen, it ties the war into football, and it answers some of the questions and points raised in this thread.

Oh, and Inhulets Petrove have one of the best ******* badges I've ever seen.

FC Inhulets Petrove logo.png