IGNORED

63 goals conceded in 35 games

pl00peh91

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but how on Earth are we expected to make any level of progress when our forwards are routinely expected to score three goals for us to win the game? 

We have Kalas and Klose, two CBs who have both secured promotion out of the Championship before playing in a defence which is more porous than a house on a flood plane during Storm Eunice.

We signed Danny Simpson for absolutely no reason whatsoever despite our financial difficulties and have chosen instead to rely on youth to fill the RB / RWB spot instead.

We are five points worse off after 35 games than last season and in my view the only reason the defence is getting relatively easy ride from the fans in terms of criticism is because the bottom 3 are probably the worst we have seen in the Championship in living memory, and two out of the bottom four have suffered points deductions. This time last year Rotherham were 22nd with 32 points, for example. 

You are welcome to tell me I am being overly negative and I appreciate our young players have improved a lot, and that our future looks brighter than it did 12 months ago. But is it too much to ask to watch our team keep a clean sheet for once in a while, especially given the level of experience within the CB position? Kalas cost £8m and Dasilva cost a packet too I think - it really shouldn’t be as bad as it is.

Anyway, rant over and enjoy your evening!

• Like 17

Having Baker injured, Atkinson injured, Tanner injured, Dasilva not playing on his preferred side and a midfield without experienced players (both King and James out) partly justifies our defensive frailty. Tactics are also an element to consider, because a more attacking set-up can bring also more defensive exposure.

That being said, some errors could have been avoided here and there, and I agree about Simpson. However, based on recent performances, I also think that we collected less points than we deserved (and refereeings didn't help).

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but how on Earth are we expected to make any level of progress when our forwards are routinely expected to score three goals for us to win the game? 

We have Kalas and Klose, two CBs who have both secured promotion out of the Championship before playing in a defence which is more porous than a house on a flood plane during Storm Eunice.

We signed Danny Simpson for absolutely no reason whatsoever despite our financial difficulties and have chosen instead to rely on youth to fill the RB / RWB spot instead.

We are five points worse off after 35 games than last season and in my view the only reason the defence is getting relatively easy ride from the fans in terms of criticism is because the bottom 3 are probably the worst we have seen in the Championship in living memory, and two out of the bottom four have suffered points deductions. This time last year Rotherham were 22nd with 32 points, for example. 

You are welcome to tell me I am being overly negative and I appreciate our young players have improved a lot, and that our future looks brighter than it did 12 months ago. But is it too much to ask to watch our team keep a clean sheet for once in a while, especially given the level of experience within the CB position? Kalas cost £8m and Dasilva cost a packet too I think - it really shouldn’t be as bad as it is.

You’re right, theres a lot of positives atm, for example the better performances and youth coming through. However the goals conceded is a joke tbh, somethings got to change 

32 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Another cheerful post! Thank you for being a friend. Over to you Andrew...

First you have to figure out the problem. 

Crosses we aren't great 

Stopping crosses aren't great 

Our way of marking corners isn't great. 

We run out of steam at the end of game 

The ones above are pretty basic. 

The ones below need to be solved throughout rest of season and summer. 

Does our defence get enough protection from midfield? 

How are we in transition, do players actually know their jobs, are they the right jobs? 

Where do we press, how and when? 

How do we stop so much time in our own half? 

Some of it is individual errors. 

But some of it comes down to management decisions. 

Either way right now it's not great, 

Step one for me.... 

Players going all out to stop those crosses + players being so much better in owning our own box 

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

When our front line are off song , which they have been for the last two games ,the defence isn’t resilient enough to compensate.

It is incredible how easy it is for the opponents to score against us.

Would we believe better sacrificing one of our forwards to put an extra defender in away from home at least? 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, chinapig said:

I remain supportive of Nigel but the one thing I expected from him this season was an improvement in our defensive record. So far little or no sign of that so it's fair to ask questions of him.

I thought we would get tough to beat and perhaps be a bit ‘ workmanlike’ as we developed our base. The goals and entertainment would be the final part of the jigsaw but I have never known us so easy to score against.

• Like 1